Taking the Temperature of the Coaches in the American Athletic Conference

Coach Andy Mac

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So you're saying if NT loses the C-USA championship game "close" to UTSA, you're fully on board with a 5 year extension??

Absolutely not, a NEW coach gets 5 year contract.  Seth maxes out potential extension I would very cautiously turn my nose up and approve under a less than perfect finish is tacting on 2 years to the end of his current contract.  That is 3 years.   My logic is if the new coach is bad you likely fire him after 3 years anyway owing him more money than than they would Seth.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Absolutely not, a NEW coach gets 5 year contract.  Seth maxes out potential extension I would very cautiously turn my nose up and approve under a less than perfect finish is tacting on 2 years to the end of his current contract.  That is 3 years.   My logic is if the new coach is bad you likely fire him after 3 years anyway owing him more money than than they would Seth.

Dude no offense meant but do you read anything on here?  @BillySee58and many others have made it very clear that recruiting will suffer unless Seth gets a 5 year extension.  Please stop ignoring reality.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Dude no offense meant but do you read anything on here?  @BillySee58and many others have made it very clear that recruiting will suffer unless Seth gets a 5 year extension.  Please stop ignoring reality.

What about the last 3 seasons’ reality?  

I think we’d be wise to consider that REALITY a little more than what I’d consider more of a “what if” in recruiting.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

That is very speculative logic not reality.  Coaches without 4-5 years remaining on their contract recruit well all the time and not just at powerhouse P5 schools.  Seth mediocre record here, low attendance at home games would be far bigger concerns for a Spring 2023 recruit coming here than him being under contract for their  RS-JR or SR season.   A recruit isn't thinking about the head coach being able to survive really bad season because he has a good contract.   Here are the major concerns for recruits we have the best shot in getting in no particular order.

· School culture - does it meet my academic, entertainment, and comfort needs?

· Do I like/believe in the coaches and how  they plan to use me?

· Can we win here and me be a big part of that winning?

If all those answers are yes the coaches remaining years on his current contract are of little concern.  At all but a handful programs (regardless of coaches contract) recruits know that their coach could be fired or hired away at anytime.   Hell if A&M didn't owe Fisher an obscene amount of money he would probably be gone at the end of this season with more than 5 years left in the buyout was around or below 35 million.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

I subscribe to the Split Zone Duo Patreon so that entitles me to a couple of subscriber only podcasts per week. 

Steven Godfrey (the author of the initial post this thread is based on) and Richard Johnson (SEC Network and Sports Illustrated) are cohosts. 

1) Godfrey starts his report on UNT by saying he assumed Littrell would be safe after drubbing WKU. Per his sources, that is not the case and they expect Littrell will be terminated at the end of the season regardless of outcome. Winning the CUSA championship might change the calculus, but he said it would likely mean Littrell gets a P5 job and would not likely be fired from UNT. Those are semantics - the end result is the same: new coach for UNT next year. 

2) Godfrey’s sources inside the administration at North Texas continue to say they expect to be at the top of the G5 landscape and competing for New Year’s 6 bowl games. He said the model is the University of Houston and UNT expects to fill the gap they leave from jumping to the Big 12. (He goes on to talk about how this sounds unrealistic from UNT’s brass, which can be debated, but what’s not up for debate is expectations have risen.) 

3) Both Godfrey and Johnson say, when they talk to coaches about which G5 jobs are the MOST attractive, the North Texas job is always near the top of the list. We have money and we are signaling to the coaching community that we are ready to spend it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I subscribe to the Split Zone Duo Patreon so that entitles me to a couple of subscriber only podcasts per week. 

Steven Godfrey (the author of the initial post this thread is based on) and Richard Johnson (SEC Network and Sports Illustrated) are cohosts. 

1) Godfrey starts his report on UNT by saying he assumed Littrell would be safe after drubbing WKU. Per his sources, that is not the case and they expect Littrell will be terminated at the end of the season regardless of outcome. Winning the CUSA championship might change the calculus, but he said it would likely mean Littrell gets a P5 job and would not likely be fired from UNT. Those are semantics - the end result is the same: new coach for UNT next year. 

2) Godfrey’s sources inside the administration at North Texas continue to say they expect to be at the top of the G5 landscape and competing for New Year’s 6 bowl games. He said the model is the University of Houston and UNT expects to fill the gap they leave from jumping to the Big 12. (He goes on to talk about how this sounds unrealistic from UNT’s brass, which can be debated, but what’s not up for debate is expectations have risen.) 

3) Both Godfrey and Johnson say, when they talk to coaches about which G5 jobs are the MOST attractive, the North Texas job is always near the top of the list. We have money and we are signaling to the coaching community that we are ready to spend it. 

Thank you for sharing this! I'm hopeful it's all true.

Seth winning out the remaining games this season, including the CUSA championship, and getting hired by a P5 is the best case scenario. It'd be great for UNT and it'd be great for Seth.

Here's to winning out the rest of the season!

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Pellom said:

This is refreshing to hear but I wish our AD was more transparent about these goals and hopes.  Sometimes I feel like the people leading my teams do not represent what you've said, and still have toes and feet in Old Denton.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This is refreshing to hear but I wish our AD was more transparent about these goals and hopes.  Sometimes I feel like the people leading my teams do not represent what you've said, and still have toes and feet in Old Denton.

You want them to publicly say they plan on firing the sitting head coach?

They have been pretty clear about the aspirations and other portions that were mentioned.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pellom said:

Looking forward to Nov 27th and our subsequent announcement of our new head coach.

Even if Seth makes the CUSA Championship, he's gonna lose, and probably by a lot. Proof is in the pudding folks

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

Look at our HFC turnover the last 50 years? Who do we think we can get that’s not going to come here to try to revive their former P5 career?  That’s where Coach Dan McCarney was headed before his unfortunate stroke.  
Yes, our facilities are very nice & the next venue AD Wren Baker announces is going to knock all our socks off. Guaranteed! 

At last weeks TV game I saw a part of SL I hadn’t really seen. He was on the sideline hugging players who accepted his hugging. (You know what I mean). 

C76866FE-35B9-4F0D-9A05-9A07756FC328.jpeg.b4b56c5827670da6526d298606004926.jpeg

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Sonny Dykes had Zero years recruiting for TCU, he just worked the portal.   They are doing OK.

Recruiting is no reason to keep a career .500 head coach!

• Upvote 1

These message boards are what make college football so fun.  We started the beginning of the season with we’re horrible, we will be lucky to win 2 maybe 3 games so that will be the end of SL to the only way we keep SL is if he wins a conference championship *and* bowl game, and finally to, damn, if we win out then SL will be seen as a good coach and get hired away by a P5 program so we get rid of him that way.  This cracks me up.   

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, keith said:

These message boards are what make college football so fun.  We started the beginning of the season with we’re horrible, we will be lucky to win 2 maybe 3 games so that will be the end of SL to the only way we keep SL is if he wins a conference championship *and* bowl game, and finally to, damn, if we win out then SL will be seen as a good coach and get hired away by a P5 program so we get rid of him that way.  This cracks me up.   

So true!  It’s been a roller coaster.

• Upvote 1

Harry
This post was recognized by Harry!

"Good info"

Pellom was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, Pellom said:

Just wanted to follow up on this. A new podcast is out. 

Godfrey says for now Littrell is safe - but a lot is riding on making the conference championship game. So the team has to finish the job. 

Semi-related to UNT: the expectation is Tulsa and Texas State will open, and both seem to be interested in WSU OC Eric Morris and current UIW HC GJ Kinne. Kinne played QB at Tulsa. I bring this up because their names have been mentioned on this board, and they would theoretically be candidates if we have an opening. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 5:51 AM, Pellom said:

Just wanted to follow up on this. A new podcast is out. 

Godfrey says for now Littrell is safe - but a lot is riding on making the conference championship game. So the team has to finish the job. 

Semi-related to UNT: the expectation is Tulsa and Texas State will open, and both seem to be interested in WSU OC Eric Morris and current UIW HC GJ Kinne. Kinne played QB at Tulsa. I bring this up because their names have been mentioned on this board, and they would theoretically be candidates if we have an opening. 

Care to share anything you've heard lately? I remembered your original post and was hopeful regardless of the AD situation we would wake up to a firing tomorrow and didn't realize you updated it. 

What a shame, fans are fed up and it will get incredibly toxic going in to next season while the last SL believers try to convince us we need to support blindly for the players..