Football 2023 - For conversation Sake

El Paso Eagle

Something to discuss with a couple of boundaries since we have gone over these - 

• No coaching (stays or leaves) comments
  • No individual QB comments

What are the top 2-3 areas you would think we need to improve on, or continue to focus on to be at the top of the AAC?

• Speed on defense 
  • DB's - I think if we play the same loose coverage we will be picked apart
  • Ball control - need to minimize the snaps the other teams have. Continue to be a dominant run team

I think our offense is more "AAC" ready by far than our defense.

• Upvote 4

I think recruiting big, sought after kids is the name of the game... OL/DL. 

Really go all-in here. 

A close second is landing a premiere QB. We really don't know what we have behind QB1. 

A lagging 3rd, some playmaking safeties...Impact guys. 

Outside of that, I'm not overly concerend.*

* Not sure who our alpha on D will be at the second level after KD leaves. So that's somewhat concerning. 

• Upvote 3

My thoughts are that we go almost completely portal.  We could use more talent everywhere, even RB.  If we get a RB, is has to be someone that makes people miss.  None of our backs do that much.

Secondary has been a concern for a couple of years.  We have to get another cover corner.  We have to get a couple of safeties.  Depth, depth, depth.

We need another pass rusher, preferably interior.

That being said, every other program in the country is looking for those same things.  If kids can do those things, they likely are not in the portal.  Still, that is the way I would go If and only If they can come in the spring.  If they cannot be here for spring ball, then I would pass on them.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think recruiting big, sought after kids is the name of the game... OL/DL. 

Really go all-in here. 

A close second is landing a premiere QB. We really don't know what we have behind QB1. 

A lagging 3rd, some playmaking safeties...Impact guys. 

Outside of that, I'm not overly concerend.*

* Not sure who our alpha on D will be at the second level after KD leaves. So that's somewhat concerning. 

Maybe Larry?  I agree wholeheartedly on your other points. One thing that could take us to the UCF Cincy levels would be more quality linemen with size.  I really think Coach Clem could do that for us given a new contract and time.  

i would also like to see us get taller on the edge defensively and in the secondary.  We don’t have enough safeties.  Look at UTSA they have tones of them.  They are big and fast.  

• Upvote 1

NT needs to stay on the trajectory it is on.  Saying NT needs better players is really stating the obvious, however I don't think there is the talent gap that some seem to think.

NT will lose a few great players, but this team returns a lot of starters and most of the second unit.  Obviously, now NT has to win the transfer portal, getting better players than losing. 

There are some strong teams in the AAC and NT has to get better to challenge them.  That being say I believe NT should be competitive with most; but has a long way to go to play with the first tier of the new league.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

If we win the conference championship and bowl game, a lot of problems would be solved.

Speaking of 2023, wasn’t UH supposed to be a game we played in Houston, remaking the cancelled game of 2020? It’s not slated anymore, which sucks because I like that Stadium.

• Upvote 2

Need to find a QB. Maybe I am reading too much into the limited packages provided for him, but it seems like Stone Earle has passed Gunnell on the depth chart. I don’t know if I trust either one of them to be able to throw the ball on time consistently. 

More talent on defense. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think our team is stacked!  Strength and nutrition needs  to continue to be the priority. We lost our previous S&C Coach to the Mavs. Just keep developing our coaches that in turn develop our players.  I think the rest will follow. GMG!

Think you mean Charles Ashford who was the team’s nutritionist 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Coaching salaries are fine.

We need to start the AC renovation/addition asap, as in yesterday.

Safeties.  I am somewhat baffled by the lack of development at this position.  Players like Dillion Williams and Harold West arrived with pretty high expectations.  I am ready for those two to step up.

Size at DT.  We need another Novil in the middle that requires double teams.  Jackson and Brown need to add some weight without losing their quickness.

I am not terribly worried about our OL.  Our starters go Brown 292, Blair 303, Mose 292, Nwaiwu 326, Duncan 281 and the top two backups are Moreka 283 and Carroll 319.  I would think Brown at 6'4" and Moreka at 6'5" could carry more weight and get above 300.  Duncan is probably better suited to an interior position as well, but this unit has performed really well all year.

• Upvote 1