Bowl game selection

Matt from A700

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Great analysis!"

Matt from A700 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 35 points.

I know we currently have our sights set on a conference championship appearance, but of all the potential bowl games that CUSA has a tie-in for, which would you be most interested in being a part of? My thoughts are in green/red. After reading into all of the tie-in's, and examining the date/times, I am rooting for a spot in the Armed Forces Bowl!

Via https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/07/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-for-each-conference-2022-2023/5:

Conference USA doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowls matchups are based on best possible matchups.

Bahamas Bowl vs MAC (Friday, 12/16 @ 10:30 a.m on ESPN)
+ First game of bowl season
+ Destination for players

- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance

EasyPost Hawaii Bowl vs Mountain West (Saturday, 12/24 @ 7:00 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Primetime TV slot
+ Destination for players
+ Likely name recognition opponent

- America likely watching something else, if they even have the TV on
- Attendance

– Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl vs American Athletic Conference (Thursday, 12/22 @ 6:30 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Local game
+ Date/time

+ Primetime TV slot
+ Attendance

+ Start up rivalry with American school early

New Mexico Bowl vs Mountain West (Saturday, 12/17 @ 1:15 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Closeby
+ Date/time

- Graduation day

– R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs Sun Belt (Wednesday, 12/21 @ 8:00 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Destination for fans
+ Primetime TV slot

- Date/time
- Likely good opponent from alleged "inferior conference"

To be determined among the Group of Five conferences …

Cure Bowl vs Group of Five or Army (Friday, 12/16 @ 2:00 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Destination for families
- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance
- Potential to play Army again

RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs Group of Five (Tuesday, 12/20 @ 7:30 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Destination for everyone
+ Primetime TV slot
+ Range of possibilities for opponent

- Attendance

SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs Group of Five (Tuesday, 12/27 @ 2:15/5:45 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Local game
+ Attendance

- TV slot for viewership
- Date/time

Frisco Bowl vs Group of Five (Saturday, 12/17 @ 8:15 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Local game
+ Primetime TV slot
+ Grow UNT footprint where new campus is being built

- Sour taste
- Graduation day

Conference USA has an affiliation to fill-in if needed …

Camellia Bowl vs MAC or Sun Belt (Tuesday, 12/27 @ 11 a.m. on ESPN)
- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance

Fenway Bowl vs ACC or American (Saturday, 12/17 @ 10 a.m. on ESPN)
+ Potential opponent

- TV slot for viewership
- Graduation day

– LendingTree Bowl vs MAC or Sun Belt (Saturday, 12/17 @ 4:45 p.m. on ESPN)
- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance

TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs American or SEC (Tuesday, 12/27 @ 2:15/5:45 p.m. on ESPN)
+ Matchup interest
- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance

Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs ACC, American, SEC (Friday, 12/23 @ TBD on ESPN)
+ Matchup interest
- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance

Myrtle Beach Bowl vs American, MAC or Sun Belt (Monday, 12/19 @ 1:30 p.m. on ESPN)
- TV slot for viewership
- Attendance
- Date/time

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

It’s too early to pick which bowl we could end up playing in. The three games and then a possible fourth will determine our actual choices. 

I’m confused by some of the pros and cons listed. The Sun Belt is listed as perceived inferior yet one the the things many hate about CUSA is that “everyone” ranks the SBC over CUSA. It can’t be both! 

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

It’s too early to pick which bowl we could end up playing in. The three games and then a possible fourth will determine our actual choices. 

I’m confused by some of the pros and cons listed. The Sun Belt is listed as perceived inferior yet on the the things many hate about CUSA is that “everyone” ranks the SBC over CUSA. It can’t be both! 

The thought is we don't want to lose to a team in a conference we left for greener pastures. But I don't think many, including myself, would deny the SBC is a better football league now.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I’m confused by some of the pros and cons listed. The Sun Belt is listed as perceived inferior yet one the the things many hate about CUSA is that “everyone” ranks the SBC over CUSA. It can’t be both! 

The point was evidently that we'll probably have to play a tough team that no one will understand how we could lose.  Whereas, if we ended up playing a mediocre Wisconsin or Florida team in a bowl game, everyone would be happy if we were even competitive, and winning would create a huge buzz.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

Looking back over this list, I am still hopeful for an Armed Forces Bowl since apparently Army will not be in the game, and I can attend. If the team wants to travel to a destination this time, they've earned it. Realistically, I'd only be able to attend the Armed Forces or Frisco Bowls. In the second tier of possibility, I'd place New Mexico and LendingTree (Mobile). Those are virtually the same distance from Fort Worth, but because of the New Mexico start time, only driving to Mobile would be realistic. Then in the third tier, the Fenway Bowl would be fun, and fiscally possible since Boston is a Delta hub.

Edited by Matt from A700

Our bowl options really depend on how our season ends. Best case we beat UAB,Rice, and UTSA finishing 9&4. Worst case we lose to UAB and UTSA, beat Rice, finishing 7 & 6. Because of out poor fan support at last years bowl game in Frisco I doubt we get a return invitation. Getting invited to a lower rung bowl no longer garnishes as much interest as it initially did. I attended the New Mexico bowl in Albuquerque when we were pounded by Utah State and was not impressed. It's played at the Lobo's stadium and felt just like a regular game to me. I have enjoyed both games in the Cotton Bowl which were well attended, and would love to play in Ft.Worth. To get to either game we probably need to at least split with UAB and Rice, and beat UTSA for an 8 & 5 season. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Looking back over this list, I am still hopeful for an Armed Forces Bowl since apparently Army will not be in the game, and I can attend. If the team wants to travel to a destination this time, they've earned it. Realistically, I'd only be able to attend the Armed Forces or Frisco Bowls. In the second tier of possibility, I'd place New Mexico and LendingTree (Mobile). Those are virtually the same distance from Fort Worth, but because of the New Mexico start time, only driving to Mobile would be realistic. Then in the third tier, the Fenway Bowl would be fun, and fiscally possible since Boston is a Delta hub.

selfish scream queens GIF
I kid…I kid. 😂😂😂

• Haha 3