If We Had Hired a QB Coach

BillySee58

This whole thread is comical based on his 2022 stats today.  57.5 % Completions, what are we debating?  Varying degrees of mediocrity at best.  If Aune passes anyone’s eyeball test as a high quality FBS starter I can recommend an Optometrist.  He would be great at an FCS school. 

***😂 my feelings are hurt🙄😂***

When I bring neutral football fans to our games they say he is just bad.  Even some of diehard  fans exclaim “where in da hell is he throwing” 2 or 3 times a game.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

This whole thread is comical based on his 2022 stats today.  57.5 % Completions, what are we debating?  Varying degrees of mediocrity at best.  If Aune passes anyone’s eyeball test as a high quality FBS starter I can recommend an Optometrist.  He would be great at an FCS school. 

***😂 my feelings are hurt🙄😂***

When I bring neutral football fans to our games they say he is just bad.  Even some of diehard  fans exclaim “where in da hell is he throwing” 2 or 3 times a game.  

You refuse to acknowledge any stat besides completion percentage which is the exact mindset that this post is regarding. People aren’t giving Bloesch credit as a QB coach bc they are so dug in on the stance that we should have hired a “real” QB coach. In the same way, you refuse to analyze Aune’s complete body of work and won’t move off of the completion percentage. A completion percentage that, to Bloesch’s credit and the original point of the post, is much improved.

Aune is still 6th in the nation in TD passes, 20th in passer rating, and 10th in yards per attempt. His body of work this season is solid. You want to ignore everything except his completion percentage, that’s fine. But you’re mischaracterizing the point of the post which is that Aune’s numbers have taken a huge jump and his position coach deserves some credit for it. That was always the point of the post. It was never that Aune is some All-American QB.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

You refuse to acknowledge any stat besides completion percentage which is the exact mindset that this post is regarding. People aren’t giving Bloesch credit as a QB coach bc they are so dug in on the stance that we should have hired a “real” QB coach. In the same way, you refuse to analyze Aune’s complete body of work and won’t move off of the completion percentage. A completion percentage that, to Bloesch’s credit and the original point of the post, is much improved.

Aune is still 6th in the nation in TD passes, 20th in passer rating, and 10th in yards per attempt. His body of work this season is solid. You want to ignore everything except his completion percentage, that’s fine. But you’re mischaracterizing the point of the post which is that Aune’s numbers have taken a huge jump and his position coach deserves some credit for it. That was always the point of the post. It was never that Aune is some All-American QB.

His % and picks. So, basically, his minimal understanding of the game (,X/O=lack of coaching) or lack of accuracy. Your pick. His 1 constant characteristic is his lack of consistency. But, doesn't really matter.  He's not doing great. Not doing terrible. Has shown tremendous growth this season due to his other seasons, but that's relative. He is Seth Littrells Andrew MxNulty. Much better version of McNulty. End result, identical. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 11/15/2022 at 7:32 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

His % and picks. So, basically, his minimal understanding of the game (,X/O=lack of coaching) or lack of accuracy. Your pick. His 1 constant characteristic is his lack of consistency. But, doesn't really matter.  He's not doing great. Not doing terrible. Has shown tremendous growth this season due to his other seasons, but that's relative. He is Seth Littrells Andrew MxNulty. Much better version of McNulty. End result, identical. 

Yes Credit for better mediocrity.  I am not sure what hou are championing.  You could easily credit the increase in yards and touchdowns to having the better receivers healthy all year and a 3-4 headed monster at running back that teams scheme to stop knowing Aune’s inconsistency.  I think the OB coach did better than excepted but there are a lot of factors driving Aune’s increased production besides QB Coaching.

• Eye Roll 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:33 AM, BillySee58 said:

This part is kinda gray for me.

I feel more like his OC (understanding that his position coach & his OC are the same guy) has schemed to protect him and make safer plays for him, while coaching him to fully-understand that scheme, which elevates those numbers...  not that he's made Aune a better QB, positionally.    More than 1 way to skin a cat, I suppose.

58 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This part is kinda gray for me.

I feel more like his OC (understanding that his position coach & his OC are the same guy) has schemed to protect him and make safer plays for him, while coaching him to fully-understand that scheme, which elevates those numbers...  not that he's made Aune a better QB, positionally.    More than 1 way to skin a cat, I suppose.

But this just sounds like you aren’t willing to move off your stance from the offseason that Bloesch had nothing to add as a teacher of QBs since he didn’t play the position. Aune’s footwork has looked much better this year and even the picks have mostly been losing track of a defender, not really due to poor mechanics.

Look across the NFL and you’ll see a bunch of position coaches who did not play the position they are coaching. Some of the coaches who get credit for being among the best QB developers did not play QB. Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Brian Daboll, etc. These guys know what good form and technique looks like, but being able to effectively teach doesn’t require them ripping the ball 60 yards downfield.

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

But this just sounds like you aren’t willing to move off your stance from the offseason that Bloesch had nothing to add as a teacher of QBs since he didn’t play the position. Aune’s footwork has looked much better this year and even the picks have mostly been losing track of a defender, not really due to poor mechanics.

Look across the NFL and you’ll see a bunch of position coaches who did not play the position they are coaching. Some of the coaches who get credit for being among the best QB developers did not play QB. Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Brian Daboll, etc. These guys know what good form and technique looks like, but being able to effectively teach doesn’t require them ripping the ball 60 yards downfield.

Has it?  I suppose I haven't been watching that closely.     
Eyeball test tells me he still misses on some easy passes (where he makes the right read, but throws the ball at a receiver's feet, or out of bounds).   He's had some bad drops as well that aren't on him.    Maybe I'm spoiled by Fine & shouldn't expect that kind of play, but I have to think we'd have been much more competitive in those non-conference games, and possibly unbeaten in C-USA play if we had a QB with better mechanics in making throws.    I know part of your argument is that some folks are staring at comp% only, and that's not fair, but on that same token, you can't just ignore it either.
And Bloesch could be coaching those mechanics... I dunno.  I doubt it though.

In the end, regardless of WHY, the credit for NT's offensive improvement, and all of Aune's #'s is Bloesch.  Period.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Has it?  I suppose I haven't been watching that closely.     
Eyeball test tells me he still misses on some easy passes (where he makes the right read, but throws the ball at a receiver's feet, or out of bounds).   

Yeah he has generally thrown from a more consistent base this season. He definitely still misses easy passes but I don’t think any QB coach is going to turn Aune into a QB who doesn’t. The improvement in production and effectiveness is evident.

If it were a traditional QB coach then I think he would get more credit as a QB position coach improving the play at his position than Bloesch is currently getting. There wouldn’t be so much nitpicking about how every other variable is the reason why and the actual position coach element is not a real reason why. That’s the basis of my original post here.

He's had some bad drops as well that aren't on him.    Maybe I'm spoiled by Fine & shouldn't expect that kind of play, but I have to think we'd have been much more competitive in those non-conference games, and possibly unbeaten in C-USA play if we had a QB with better mechanics in making throws.    I know part of your argument is that some folks are staring at comp% only, and that's not fair, but on that same token, you can't just ignore it either.

This is in reference to me talking about how Mike Jackson only brings up completion percentage and interceptions. I’m not saying completion % should be ignored, just that it’s arguing in bad faith to ONLY bring that one up repeatedly. I’m bringing up all the stats, but usually focus on passer rating/QBR since those stats that gauge body of work in totality are usually the most accurate.

I haven’t ignored completion %. I’ve admitted it isn’t good but it’s still 6% up from last year, which is a pretty impressive jump. Sure the starting point was low, but bringing a QB up 10% in completion percentage is borderline unrealistic.

And Bloesch could be coaching those mechanics... I dunno.  I doubt it though.

In the end, regardless of WHY, the credit for NT's offensive improvement, and all of Aune's #'s is Bloesch.  Period.

See this is the part I feel like you’re not willing to budge on that I feel you should (just my opinion). There are many analysts out there on ESPN or other platforms that break down film, including QB play. Quarterback is not some secret society that only those inside can ever learn how to understand it. It’s a position like any other.

It’s the most important position but Bloesch has been coaching football for 14 seasons now, and had responsibilities outside of just O-Line for many of those dating back 12 seasons ago when he was a High School OC. He knows what good QB mechanics look like, he knows what bad QB mechanics look like, and he knows what QBs need to do in order to play effectively within the offense. It’s simplistic to think a Broyles award nominee OC isn’t capable of coaching up the most important position in his offense simply because that isn’t the position he played.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1