If We Had Hired a QB Coach

BillySee58

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

So you’re saying Aune is a bad QB. If your contention is that he is a bad QB, and the results we are currently getting out of him are that of a well above-average QB (statistically, compared to his peers), wouldn’t that speak volumes to the job of his position coach?

Aune is grossly inconsistent. I'm not a fan of inconsistencies. WR's aren't sure what's coming, OC is hesitant to call plays because you never know what you're going to get, Head Coach is a nervous wreck and the QB has no confidence in himself. It's a very bad attribute to have. 

With that said, I believe Saturday may have been his best game in green yet. 

• Upvote 1

The mild success that Aune has had in a few games this year and better stats doesn't mean much, and attributing all of that mild success to Bloesch seems dubious. I think the better stats are a result of understanding the offensive system and passing schemes better, which is a normal, if somewhat slow, progression from being on an off starter for two years and then becoming full time starter in year 3. 

The reason you want a QB coach is so you can have someone work with you on the more technical side of things as well as understanding the passing game and concepts. This would include things that Aune fails on consistently including ball placement, knowing when you can take off and run, throwing footwork, etc. I think the technical deficiencies are a major reason for Aune's inconsistency. These are all core areas of the position that you need to be able to develop in raw recruits as well, which is something the coaching staff has consistently failed at since Harrell left.

Having a couple of decent games does not cancel out the major technical issues Aune has as a passer and the major issues we have at the position, especially considering we don't know who's going to be the guy next year. 

Edit: 

To the haters, you know I'm right, especially after the last game.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

The mild success that Aune has had in a few games this year and better stats doesn't mean much, and attributing all of that mild success to Bloesch seems dubious. I think the better stats are a result of understanding the offensive system and passing schemes better, which is a normal, if somewhat slow, progression from being on an off starter for two years and then becoming full time starter in year 3. 

No one is giving Bloesch all the credit. Well, I’m not. Can’t speak for everyone but pretty sure no one is.

The point I was making is just that normally people would give a position coach credit for such a big jump in production but I have yet to see anyone on here give Bloesch credit there as his position coach. Instead I still see people saying we need to hire a “real” QB coach, mostly based on a stance they have been dug into since it was announced that Bloesch would move from OL to QB coach as someone who never played the position.

• Upvote 3

I had a debate a while back about how this receiving corps (WRs and TEs) stacked up against the ones Fine had. My personal opinion is that top to bottom, what we have this year is of the same quality, if not better. Obviously Fine had Guyton, Bussey, and Darden for a year or two. Michael Lawrence wasn't a slug either. This team is something else, though. While we may not have a Guyton over the top burner or Darden's route running, we have a solid 4 or 5 WRs who could be WR1/WR2 in addition to Gumms and Roberts at TE.

It's easy right now to say Fine's crew was better when 3 of them made the NFL and 2 are still in. How do y'all feel about this current group of receivers and how they stack up against some of the other receiving corps we've had around here? Shorter, Bush (going off potential and size), Burns, Maclin, Gumms, Roberts, Ward, and Horton. Incredibly talented group.

This passing attack has exceeded expectations. These receivers play a big role in that.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I had a debate a while back about how this receiving corps (WRs and TEs) stacked up against the ones Fine had. My personal opinion is that top to bottom, what we have this year is of the same quality, if not better. Obviously Fine had Guyton, Bussey, and Darden for a year or two. Michael Lawrence wasn't a slug either. This team is something else, though. While we may not have a Guyton over the top burner or Darden's route running, we have a solid 4 or 5 WRs who could be WR1/WR2 in addition to Gumms and Roberts at TE.

It's easy right now to say Fine's crew was better when 3 of them made the NFL and 2 are still in. How do y'all feel about this current group of receivers and how they stack up against some of the other receiving corps we've had around here? Shorter, Bush (going off potential and size), Burns, Maclin, Gumms, Roberts, Ward, and Horton. Incredibly talented group.

This passing attack has exceeded expectations. These receivers play a big role in that.

I think the DEPTH along with overall talent is some of the best we’ve had at skill positions. But I think we need to either poach or develop some no-doubters, and do it in more position groups. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I think the DEPTH along with overall talent is some of the best we’ve had at skill positions. But I think we need to either poach or develop some no-doubters, and do it in more position groups. 

That word. Depth. Would have summed up what I was trying to say. The joys of a 4 year old constantly asking if it's Halloween yet (time to trick-or-treat). Kept getting distracted while typing that all out. But yeah, this is just such a deep group. Feels like anybody can go off at any moment.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

I think to this point (that we need to give Bloesch some credit)...

Last 5 games against CUSA last year (5-0): Aune - 58/114 (50.8%), 3 TDs, 1 INT.

He only threw TDs in 2 of the 5 games, and had 1 game with multiple TDs.

5 Games against CUSA this year (4-1): Aune - 76/128 (59.4%), 14 TDs, 3 INT. 

Multiple TDs in every game.

I've been very critical of Aune, and will continue to be when he throws into the dirt or 8 yards over a receiver's head. I have been very critical of SL, and will continue to be as long as he fails to beat OOC FBS teams, win the conference, win a bowl game, etc.

But our offense (and Aune) is actually functioning very differently than it did through the streak last year. 

I'm not getting terribly involved in the "Seth's past sins" or "what would it take" or "are we better than..." or any of that at this point in time. The next 3-5 games are going to have a lot of weight attached to them.

If you look at our wins, Aune averages around 62% and our loses he's around 53%. In our biggest games (SMU and UTSA) he completed 48% in both games. This last weekend he had probably one of his best games at over 71%.  I would like to see the stats on his completions by yards (ex 0-10, 10-20, etc.)  is he throwing more seep balls that lower his percentage? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If you look at our wins, Aune averages around 62% and our loses he's around 53%. In our biggest games (SMU and UTSA) he completed 48% in both games. This last weekend he had probably one of his best games at over 71%.  I would like to see the stats on his completions by yards (ex 0-10, 10-20, etc.)  is he throwing more seep balls that lower his percentage? 

Just on the eyeball test, it does feel like we try to hit into the intermediate and deep 3rd of the field, but I don't really have the stats to back that up. It's definitely different from the earlier Harrell Air Raid offense, though.

Hopefully some of our Xs and Os guys can really analyze what we are doing differently as an offense (other than "execution").

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I think to this point (that we need to give Bloesch some credit)...

Last 5 games against CUSA last year (5-0): Aune - 58/114 (50.8%), 3 TDs, 1 INT.

He only threw TDs in 2 of the 5 games, and had 1 game with multiple TDs.

5 Games against CUSA this year (4-1): Aune - 76/128 (59.4%), 14 TDs, 3 INT. 

Multiple TDs in every game.

I've been very critical of Aune, and will continue to be when he throws into the dirt or 8 yards over a receiver's head. I have been very critical of SL, and will continue to be as long as he fails to beat OOC FBS teams, win the conference, win a bowl game, etc.

But our offense (and Aune) is actually functioning very differently than it did through the streak last year. 

I'm not getting terribly involved in the "Seth's past sins" or "what would it take" or "are we better than..." or any of that at this point in time. The next 3-5 games are going to have a lot of weight attached to them.

Should be thanking the receivers coach more than Aune. They are making some unnecessarily acrobatic catches.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Kind of strange, that a player performs worse against better competition.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Kind of strange, that a player performs worse against better competition.  

Not really. Outside of FIU, every other FBS QB completed over 60% of their passes against UTSA. So was his performance against them on him more so than what they did? 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not really. Outside of FIU, every other FBS QB completed over 60% of their passes against UTSA. So was his performance against them on him more so than what they did? 

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are stating.

If your point is that other teams' QB's have throw over 60% against UTSA, I am not sure what that proves.

To support your apparent contention that Aune has done worse against them than other QB's, you would have to have access to their defensive stats and make an assessment of the data.   Scoring and total yards are much more significant than passing percentage. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

If your point is that other teams' QB's have throw over 60% against UTSA, I am not sure what that proves.

If I'm interpreting his point correctly, it means that even though there are demonstrably worse QBs that have faced UTSA, they still managed to get the ball to their receivers more.

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Scoring and total yards are much more significant than passing percentage. 

Yet it seems when we lose, Aune is below 60% pass completion. I wonder why? It's almost like every errant or uncatchable ball is at best a wasted down and at worse an easy INT. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

If I'm interpreting his point correctly, it means that even though there are demonstrably worse QBs that have faced UTSA, they still managed to get the ball to their receivers more.

Yet it seems when we lose, Aune is below 60% pass completion. I wonder why? It's almost like every errant or uncatchable ball is at best a wasted down and at worse an easy INT. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Scoring and total yards are much more significant than passing percentage. 

End of the day the main measurement is W vs L

Passing yards

Pros

It's actually really hard to find pros here. From an overall offensive standpoint, compiling yards is better than not compiling yards, but most quarterbacks only put together extremely high yardage numbers because they aren't getting enough support on defense and/or on the ground. 

Completion percentage

Pros

Here's where we get into the bread and butter, and the first statistic in this analysis that changes on every single throw a quarterback makes. Completion percentage is really an ideal starting point in your evaluation of a quarterback on paper, because you simply can't afford to be inaccurate nowadays. 

• Upvote 1

Let's see where Mr. Aune ranks against the rest of the 130 QBs in D-1 at this point in the season.

Passing Efficiency - #27

27 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 255 145 9 2339 23 156.62

Passing TDs - #4

4 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 23

Passing Yards - #14

14 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 255 145 9 23 2339

Passing Yards per Game - # 33

33 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 255 145 9 23 2339 259.89

Passing Yards per Completion - #1

1 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 145 255 2339 16.13

Points Responsible for - #16

16 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 0 0 0 0 0 23 0 138

Points Responsible for per Game - #29

29 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 0 0 0 0 23 0 138 15.3

Yards per Pass Attempt - #9

9 Austin Aune north-texas.svgNorth Texas Jr. QB 9 255 0 2339 9.17

Completion Percentage - > #50 (they only report top 50) and he's not in the top 50.

For a comparison, Chris Reynolds for 2-7 Charlotte is ranked #47 at .648.  If Aune had a .648 completion percentage and had us at 2-7, would everyone be happy then?

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

So i actually started this at the beginning of the year, but hadn't updated it until now. This is the Golfingomez Quarterback Ranking (GQBR) it's a fairly simple assignment of points based on the stats available. I have assigned points based on my subjective placement of importance. These could obviously be tweaked for multiple factors, but it's one independent viewpoint of grading a QB. I have only input stats from 2021 and 2022, but here are the findings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CMYdY-zKZ-GVgrAC4kA3Hm5I52w7-cFYF5HwafYgIcQ/edit?usp=sharing

Based on this, there is an obvious improvement based on the numbers from last year, including a 5% increase in completion percentage and the yards per pass. Read it as you may and let me know your thoughts, the legend has brief descriptions of the points/assignments.

(BTW, i know it's not the prettiest looking thing)

Edited by golfingomez

36 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

So i actually started this at the beginning of the year, but hadn't updated it until now. This is the Golfingomez Quarterback Ranking (GQBR) it's a fairly simple assignment of points based on the stats available. I have assigned points based on my subjective placement of importance. These could obviously be tweaked for multiple factors, but it's one independent viewpoint of grading a QB. I have only input stats from 2021 and 2022, but here are the findings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CMYdY-zKZ-GVgrAC4kA3Hm5I52w7-cFYF5HwafYgIcQ/edit?usp=sharing

Based on this, there is an obvious improvement based on the numbers from last year, including a 5% increase in completion percentage and the yards per pass. Read it as you may and let me know your thoughts, the legend has brief descriptions of the points/assignments.

If/when i get some time, i'll input some additional stats by Fine and other QB's to create a comparison for what the rating could look like.

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Restricted access.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

Completion Percentage - > #50 (they only report top 50) and he's not in the top 50.

For a comparison, Chris Reynolds for 2-7 Charlotte is ranked #47 at .648.  If Aune had a .648 completion percentage and had us at 2-7, would everyone be happy then?

For Comparison, Charlotte isn't propped up by the 14th best rushing attack in the nation by yards per game. Per ESPN, UNT averages 219.7 running yards per game. Charlotte is at 108.9 yards per game. Not that Charlotte has been much better with Reynolds, but they're 2-5 with him. Their original starter was benched after losing to William & Mary.

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

If/when i get some time, i'll input some additional stats by Fine and other QB's to create a comparison for what the rating could look like.

I've added in the stats for Burrow's 2019 season, which i think is the best in any recent year by a QB, regardless of league. His 7 TD game breaks my points a bit, so i may adjust that.