If We Had Hired a QB Coach

BillySee58

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wouldn’t we all be applauding those improvements and crediting the QB coach for getting those type of results out of a QB who looked a bottom quarter of the FBS guy last year? 

A. You aren't wrong. And beyond my ability to believe might have sold me on what Bloesch can do. Guy might be a miracle worker

B. CUSA. That's all. Thats my entire defense

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And yet somehow all these other schools I guess are wasting a coaching position on a quarterback coach. Using your same assumptions you could easily say that quarterback coach got his completion up to 64%. How much of a difference would that make.

A QB coach who could get Austin Aune up to 64% completion would not be taking a QB coach position at North Texas with no OC title.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Udomann said:

A. You aren't wrong. And beyond my ability to believe might have sold me on what Bloesch can do. Guy might be a miracle worker

B. CUSA. That's all. Thats my entire defense

CUSA being bad shouldn’t be overlooked, but position coaches are evaluated on the actual results. Not hypothetical results of a better conference. And the results are there currently.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

CUSA being bad shouldn’t be overlooked, but position coaches are evaluated on the actual results. Not hypothetical results of a better conference. And the results are there currently.

If what you say is true then we are probably looking at losing the same position coaches that have provided these results if they continue

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

CUSA maybe bad but it is by far the best conference that NT has ever been in, unless you want to go back to the MVC days and their great basketball.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I am torn on this. Quinn was also his de facto QB coach last year when he threw 52% and when he completed less than half his passes last week. 

He was thrust into that role after the Tate Wallis fiasco.   Tough to get results when you come out of Spring Practice thinking you’re just a regular GA, then you’re the man for Fall Camp.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was thrust into that role after the Tate Wallis fiasco.   Tough to get results when you come out of Spring Practice thinking you’re just a regular GA, then you’re the man for Fall Camp.

Sure, although that was actually two years ago and Quinn has been the only QB coach for three years. 
Even with this week I think Aune is at around 55-56 percent, which still isn’t good enough for this offense. Not to mention the three pick-sixes he has thrown. We have to remember the Memphis game is a W without that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Would you go across the middle of a defense to catch an Aune pass?  No flipping way I would.  There have been some big injuries to receivers (Shorter this week) because Aune puts them in defenseless positions.  Aune is still bad...9 weeks in.  He's just been good enough to keep us close.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

A case in point would be South Alabama.  They've been in the lower half of the Sun Belt Conference with few wins since entering.  Enter OC and Quarterback coach Major Applewhite.  Last year was his first and USA moved the record up to 5-7.  This year they are already bowl-eligible.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

A case in point would be South Alabama.  They've been in the lower half of the Sun Belt Conference with few wins since entering.  Enter OC and Quarterback coach Major Applewhite.  Last year was his first and USA moved the record up to 5-7.  This year they are already bowl-eligible.

I think what @BillySee58 is saying, is that if we had hired a QBs coach, specifically, there's no telling what kind of results we'd have right now, but likely not as good.   Last 2 times we tried that (Wallis & Joseph), they were colossal failures.
Bloesch would have left if he was demoted from OC in order to bring a traditional OC (QBs coach/OC) on board.   And I think he's the guy getting the offense to hum (even without being able to coach up a QB outside of understanding scheme), because his system is a good one.
So, instead of losing Bloesch, we just hired the best-available assistant coach, and Clements has been a home run.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

True. But I could walk into a gym, find the toughest guy there, and just sucker punch him and see what happens

or...

I could walk up to a playground, punch a kid, steal their lunch money. The results are there.

I know I'm a bit of a downer lately, but I just have such a hard time getting excited about anything related to the sinking ship that is CUSA.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Would you go across the middle of a defense to catch an Aune pass?  No flipping way I would.  There have been some big injuries to receivers (Shorter this week) because Aune puts them in defenseless positions.  Aune is still bad...9 weeks in.  He's just been good enough to keep us close.

So you’re saying Aune is a bad QB. If your contention is that he is a bad QB, and the results we are currently getting out of him are that of a well above-average QB (statistically, compared to his peers), wouldn’t that speak volumes to the job of his position coach?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

So you’re saying Aune is a bad QB. If your contention is that he is a bad QB, and the results we are currently getting out of him are that of a well above-average QB (statistically, compared to his peers), wouldn’t that speak volumes to the job of his position coach?

I think I might give more credit to his OC and scheme instead of his "position coach". 

For what it's worth, I've been on record saying Aune is the best QB we have even during Fall practice when everyone was drooling over Gunnell.  He's a capable QB for sure.

He's not Mason Fine, but the McNulty comps he was having to deal with early on this season were dumb.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think I might give more credit to his OC and scheme instead of his "position coach". 

For what it's worth, I've been on record saying Aune is the best QB we have even during Fall practice when everyone was drooling over Gunnell.  He's a capable QB for sure.

He's not Mason Fine, but the McNulty comps he was having to deal with early on this season were dumb.

Might not be a big Aune fan, but I have no doubt the coaches put who they feel has the best shot at helping them pull off the game plan. That being said, I still find it hard to believe when you look at our O-line, Tight Ends, and Receivers, we can attract some really top level transfers.