Jump to content

If We Had Hired a QB Coach


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wouldn’t we all be applauding those improvements and crediting the QB coach for getting those type of results out of a QB who looked a bottom quarter of the FBS guy last year? 

A. You aren't wrong. And beyond my ability to believe might have sold me on what Bloesch can do. Guy might be a miracle worker

B. CUSA. That's all. Thats my entire defense

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And yet somehow all these other schools I guess are wasting a coaching position on a quarterback coach. Using your same assumptions you could easily say that quarterback coach got his completion up to 64%. How much of a difference would that make.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And yet somehow all these other schools I guess are wasting a coaching position on a quarterback coach. Using your same assumptions you could easily say that quarterback coach got his completion up to 64%. How much of a difference would that make.

A QB coach who could get Austin Aune up to 64% completion would not be taking a QB coach position at North Texas with no OC title.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BillySee58 said:

A QB coach who could get Austin Aune up to 64% completion would not be taking a QB coach position at North Texas with no OC title.

You probably bring up a point that I could not dispute with you

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Udomann said:

A. You aren't wrong. And beyond my ability to believe might have sold me on what Bloesch can do. Guy might be a miracle worker

B. CUSA. That's all. Thats my entire defense

CUSA being bad shouldn’t be overlooked, but position coaches are evaluated on the actual results. Not hypothetical results of a better conference. And the results are there currently.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

CUSA being bad shouldn’t be overlooked, but position coaches are evaluated on the actual results. Not hypothetical results of a better conference. And the results are there currently.

If what you say is true then we are probably looking at losing the same position coaches that have provided these results if they continue

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are 5-4 this season, and 3-6 same point last season.  Is the difference the result of Aune improvement or schedule?   I say opponents/schedule have had as much influence on our results as any adjustments/coaching of Aune.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

CUSA being bad shouldn’t be overlooked, but position coaches are evaluated on the actual results. Not hypothetical results of a better conference. And the results are there currently.

CUSA maybe bad but it is by far the best conference that NT has ever been in, unless you want to go back to the MVC days and their great basketball.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Quinn Shanbour needs some credit. 

I am torn on this. Quinn was also his de facto QB coach last year when he threw 52% and when he completed less than half his passes last week. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I am torn on this. Quinn was also his de facto QB coach last year when he threw 52% and when he completed less than half his passes last week. 

He was thrust into that role after the Tate Wallis fiasco.   Tough to get results when you come out of Spring Practice thinking you’re just a regular GA, then you’re the man for Fall Camp.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was thrust into that role after the Tate Wallis fiasco.   Tough to get results when you come out of Spring Practice thinking you’re just a regular GA, then you’re the man for Fall Camp.

Sure, although that was actually two years ago and Quinn has been the only QB coach for three years. 
Even with this week I think Aune is at around 55-56 percent, which still isn’t good enough for this offense. Not to mention the three pick-sixes he has thrown. We have to remember the Memphis game is a W without that. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would you go across the middle of a defense to catch an Aune pass?  No flipping way I would.  There have been some big injuries to receivers (Shorter this week) because Aune puts them in defenseless positions.  Aune is still bad...9 weeks in.  He's just been good enough to keep us close.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A case in point would be South Alabama.  They've been in the lower half of the Sun Belt Conference with few wins since entering.  Enter OC and Quarterback coach Major Applewhite.  Last year was his first and USA moved the record up to 5-7.  This year they are already bowl-eligible.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

A case in point would be South Alabama.  They've been in the lower half of the Sun Belt Conference with few wins since entering.  Enter OC and Quarterback coach Major Applewhite.  Last year was his first and USA moved the record up to 5-7.  This year they are already bowl-eligible.

I think what @BillySee58 is saying, is that if we had hired a QBs coach, specifically, there's no telling what kind of results we'd have right now, but likely not as good.   Last 2 times we tried that (Wallis & Joseph), they were colossal failures.
Bloesch would have left if he was demoted from OC in order to bring a traditional OC (QBs coach/OC) on board.   And I think he's the guy getting the offense to hum (even without being able to coach up a QB outside of understanding scheme), because his system is a good one.
So, instead of losing Bloesch, we just hired the best-available assistant coach, and Clements has been a home run.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

CUSA being bad shouldn’t be overlooked, but position coaches are evaluated on the actual results. Not hypothetical results of a better conference. And the results are there currently.

True. But I could walk into a gym, find the toughest guy there, and just sucker punch him and see what happens

or...

I could walk up to a playground, punch a kid, steal their lunch money. The results are there.

I know I'm a bit of a downer lately, but I just have such a hard time getting excited about anything related to the sinking ship that is CUSA.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Would you go across the middle of a defense to catch an Aune pass?  No flipping way I would.  There have been some big injuries to receivers (Shorter this week) because Aune puts them in defenseless positions.  Aune is still bad...9 weeks in.  He's just been good enough to keep us close.

So you’re saying Aune is a bad QB. If your contention is that he is a bad QB, and the results we are currently getting out of him are that of a well above-average QB (statistically, compared to his peers), wouldn’t that speak volumes to the job of his position coach?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

So you’re saying Aune is a bad QB. If your contention is that he is a bad QB, and the results we are currently getting out of him are that of a well above-average QB (statistically, compared to his peers), wouldn’t that speak volumes to the job of his position coach?

I think I might give more credit to his OC and scheme instead of his "position coach". 
     
For what it's worth, I've been on record saying Aune is the best QB we have even during Fall practice when everyone was drooling over Gunnell.  He's a capable QB for sure.

He's not Mason Fine, but the McNulty comps he was having to deal with early on this season were dumb.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think I might give more credit to his OC and scheme instead of his "position coach". 
     
For what it's worth, I've been on record saying Aune is the best QB we have even during Fall practice when everyone was drooling over Gunnell.  He's a capable QB for sure.

He's not Mason Fine, but the McNulty comps he was having to deal with early on this season were dumb.

Might not be a big Aune fan, but I have no doubt the coaches put who they feel has the best shot at helping them pull off the game plan. That being said, I still find it hard to believe when you look at our O-line, Tight Ends, and Receivers, we can attract some really top level transfers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.