UNT may not have a choice on entering the coaching carosel

TheReal_jayD

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m sure this is well-sourced and he may have the ADs attentions, but I have a hard time believing Littrell’s recent track record is one that P5 boosters would be super on board with. In the same way that many on here point out how the struggles are not good to be having this far into his tenure, I think boosters would be put off by not having a winning season in years 4-6.

And I really hope he gets hired away. Not because I don’t like him or think he is good enough to win here, but I do want to see us become a school that can get coaches hired away, not just end every HC tenure with a firing.

I think a lot of P5 will be looking at his offensive stats. Especially the ones that are struggling on offense. He is still very young. Texas ties now. I look at a team like Colorado. I also believe Seth and his agent will spin it the same way Brett Vito does. Seth has taking UNT to as many bowl games as UNT has went in their whole history prior. Will sell it as a hard place to win.

***Not to mention the scariest part to me. With the first time transfer rule and UNT going so heavy with HS kids the last few years. Seth could also say I will bring my staff. As well as several all conference players with eligibility .

Jake Roberts

Var'Keyes Gumms

Oscar Adaway III

Gabe Blair

Jett Duncan

Cole Brown

Jyaire Shorter

Roderick Brown

Ikaika Ragsdale

DeShawn Gaddie

Ayo Adeyi

Damon Ward 

That's just a quick list. I'm sure I missed a few. But I defiantly think all those kids would start at a school like Colorado. Several on that list have been getting recruited by P5s already.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m sure this is well-sourced and he may have the ADs attentions, but I have a hard time believing Littrell’s recent track record is one that P5 boosters would be super on board with. In the same way that many on here point out how the struggles are not good to be having this far into his tenure, I think boosters would be put off by not having a winning season in years 4-6.

And I really hope he gets hired away. Not because I don’t like him or think he is good enough to win here, but I do want to see us become a school that can get coaches hired away, not just end every HC tenure with a firing.

Well said.   SL would be a tough sell to P5 boosters looking to rebuild their program.  They want and can afford more than a .500 HC with no Conference Championships and no Bowl wins.

Heck, Wren wouldn't hire Seth for NT with that resume!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Well said.   SL would be a tough sell to P5 boosters looking to rebuild their program.  They want and can afford more than a .500 HC with no Conference Championships and no Bowl wins.

Heck, Wren wouldn't hire Seth for NT with that resume!

TCU hired away Dykes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Let's keep an eye on Willie Fritz.  Could be a strong indication of what would happen if SL continues to win in 2022.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think a lot of P5 will be looking at his offensive stats. Especially the ones that are struggling on offense. He is still very young. Texas ties now. I look at a team like Colorado. I also believe Seth and his agent will spin it the same way Brett Vito does. Seth has taking UNT to as many bowl games as UNT has went in their whole history prior. Will sell it as a hard place to win.

***Not to mention the scariest part to me. With the first time transfer rule and UNT going so heavy with HS kids the last few years. Seth could also say I will bring my staff. As well as several all conference players with eligibility .

Jake Roberts

Var'Keyes Gumms

Oscar Adaway III

Gabe Blair

Jett Duncan

Cole Brown

Jyaire Shorter

Roderick Brown

Ikaika Ragsdale

DeShawn Gaddie

Ayo Adeyi

Damon Ward 

That's just a quick list. I'm sure I missed a few. But I defiantly think all those kids would start at a school like Colorado. Several on that list have been getting recruited by P5s already.

Geez. Way to take a massive crap on my Sunday evening. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This really would be the best of both worlds if it happened, simply because it removes the damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t contract extension noose from around Wren’s neck, and let’s him get his guy.

But yeah, I’m with @BillySee58 on this one.  No way a group of P5 boosters would get on board with his entire body of work.

• Upvote 3

7-5 should not lead to an extension.  Let us look back to bowl loss at Frisco, we lost Miami It would not bad but we lost to the one in Ohio.   

SMUT crushed us, UNLV crushed us and Memphis beat us.  UNLV is no power house but we made them look like one.  I know it was the wives weekend.

We can beat teams in CUSA.  We lost to the UTSA who is the top team to beat.  The rest of the league is down  WKU, UAB, FAU, Latech.  WE haven't had the big wins as long as SL has been here.  I promise you next year will be a lot tougher teams each week.

We may lose players if he is let go but a new coach should bring some players with him using that rational.  

I rather let him play it out next season and half into the schedule we could a) give him an extension or b) let him go.   

I would only give two. year contracts since he has been here for seven.  Not like he is rebuilding the team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Dykes has a career HC winning record, a Conference championship, and a Bowl win.

Sidenote:  Did you know he never played college football?   He played baseball for 4 years at Texas Tech.

He does, and Seth might too at the end of this season. My point is that he was fired from Cal for not winning and never won a title at Smut. Even though he did have a 10-win season there, it was only good enough for 3rd place in the conference. He won his conference championship in the WAC. Never even made a championship game. 
The year he was hired away he was 8-4, 6th place in his conference.

I dont think Seth will get hired away, but I am saying hiring Dykes was unlikely and risky and it happened - and seems to have paid off for TCU. 

D0098FE0-339C-4C74-9D77-9C4466B04B89.png

10 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Def not trying to rain on the parade. I am just pointing out that this is def a possibility 

Frankly, I agree with you. To us fans, we see the ups, downs, and the potential. To others, SL would have made 3 conference championships in 7 years at UNT. To others, any success here is impressive. I think the 4 losing seasons here would be spun as most were 5-6 win seasons where we still made a bowl. "Think what he could with the resources we have here at (P5 school)!"

I don't know the story behind Michigan State hiring Mel Tucker but his only year at Colorado, he went 5-7. He then resigned to accept the MSU job. 5-7 didn't stop them.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Frankly, I agree with you. To us fans, we see the ups, downs, and the potential. To others, SL would have made 3 conference championships in 7 years at UNT. To others, any success here is impressive. I think the 4 losing seasons here would be spun as most were 5-6 win seasons where we still made a bowl. "Think what he could with the resources we have here at (P5 school)!"

I don't know the story behind Michigan State hiring Mel Tucker but his only year at Colorado, he went 5-7. He then resigned to accept the MSU job. 5-7 didn't stop them.

This would be the 2nd conference championship game.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3

I think I might be more concerned about the possibility of Bloesch leaving and Littrell staying than Littrell leaving & taking his staff.  
We saw that scenario unfold when Harrell was hired away…   Then what?  

If NT extends Littrell, & Bloesch leaves for a P5 OC gig, we may be set back another 3 years again.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

Dykes won at La Tech 22-15 (G5) and got promoted to P5 (Cal)

He lost at Cal 19-30 and went back down to G5 (Smut)

He won at Smut 30-18 and got promoted again to P5 (TCU)

It's pretty clear if Seth would have a better winning record at NT, plus maybe a trophy or two, he would get hired by a P5. But that ship is sailing further away with every passing year of .500 at NT.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Seth may have found a loop hole in the Portal. instead of getting P5 leftovers go get some dawgs from lower level. Horton, Richards and Johnson all looked like all conference players last weekend.

Against the crap end of G5 - cusa. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2