Only Extend Seth Littrell Only if...

NorthTexasWeLove

45 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

We shouldn’t be talking extension until after we see what happens in our first season in the American 

I agree with you on this point but there are several posters on here which have said we won’t be able to recruit unless Littrell gets an extension.  Not saying what they said is true but it is a concern.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I agree with you on this point but there are several posters on here which have said we won’t be able to recruit unless Littrell gets an extension.  Not saying what they said is true but it is a concern.

Sounds pretty ridiculous. He still has a job, he’s still under contract and recruiting is part of that job

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts

Can't enjoy the game for one single day. 

If NT keeps winning, NT is going to be  in no position to dictate terms

Now you think you can dictate not only his contract, but mandate he change his personality

Have you ever had an employee of any kind?  If the answer is yes, you know none of this will work.  

This is the old Denton mentality, we need to look to the AAC and know we will be pounded there if we keep Seth. And yes UNT is in driver seat regardless of wins this year, UNT writes the checks. No one cares outside of Denton if Seth beats a teams in a falling apart bottom conference. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

3. Seth Littrell the person doesn't have to change the complexity of who he is, but Seth Littrell must change his persona. I get it, he's not an actor and no one is asking him to be. But year 1/2 SL needs to come back. Be enthusiastic. Be happy to be where your feet are. 

I don't think he can. I've been saying it for a while, but not getting the KState job gutted him.  I've always been of the mindset that a coach should keep their composure unless circumstances are so dire, they warrant an outburst. This helps keep the team focused if things arent going smoothly  The non targeting call yesterday was one of those times any coach should have come unglued.  Unless I missed it, he remained emotionless. 

15 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Why do people care so much about winning a bowl game that isn't a NY6 bowl?  Conference Championships bring home trophies and get banners put up.

Ok, how many of those do we have?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Sounds pretty ridiculous. He still has a job, he’s still under contract and recruiting is part of that job

It may sound ridiculous, but convincing anyone to come here with a coach in his last year of a contract would do two things:

1.) As soon as there is any adversity in the season, the team will quit on the coaching staff, knowing he’s gone at the end of the season at the latest.

2.) Rexruiting will look like we are fighting Austin College and Texas Wesleyan for players. Nobody being recruited by anyone else would come here. 

It’s not gonna matter. As I predicted, if SL gets to 7 wins, he is here for 3-4 more years with a new contract. And this schedule is very conducive for those 7 wins. We have beaten UTEP, Texas Southern, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, and Western Kentucky. We will clobber Florida International at home and probably beat one Rice to end the season here. That’s 7 wins. And that gets him his extension.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Why do people care so much about winning a bowl game that isn't a NY6 bowl? 

Because it's a chance to play a decent or better out-of-conference opponent on a bigger stage than a regular season game.

Because every bowl gets some attention from the media and is watched by alumni and other college football fans.

Because winning a bowl gives you some positive momentum entering the off season.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I agree with you on this point but there are several posters on here which have said we won’t be able to recruit unless Littrell gets an extension.

Now that athletes can transfer more easily, is that as much of a risk? If they come to a school and the coaching situation changes in a way that they don't like, they can hit the portal.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

There is a school of thought that, if everyone knows the contract is up, your peers will hold that against you when recruiting.  They can tell the kids that Coach X is not going to be in Denton after this year/next.  And, apparently, this is done very aggressively/effectively.

So, based on that, you always want your coach on contract at least one season beyond the current season.  Preferably two.

Given the way players bounce around among schools these days, it seems like that kind of thinking is outdated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

It may sound ridiculous, but convincing anyone to come here with a coach in his last year of a contract would do two things:

1.) As soon as there is any adversity in the season, the team will quit on the coaching staff, knowing he’s gone at the end of the season at the latest.

2.) Rexruiting will look like we are fighting Austin College and Texas Wesleyan for players. Nobody being recruited by anyone else would come here. 

It’s not gonna matter. As I predicted, if SL gets to 7 wins, he is here for 3-4 more years with a new contract. And this schedule is very conducive for those 7 wins. We have beaten UTEP, Texas Southern, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, and Western Kentucky. We will clobber Florida International at home and probably beat one Rice to end the season here. That’s 7 wins. And that gets him his extension.

With the transfer portal, most of the stuff you mentioned regarding recruiting is moot now

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rcade said:

Because it's a chance to play a decent or better out-of-conference opponent on a bigger stage than a regular season game.

Because every bowl gets some attention from the media and is watched by alumni and other college football fans.

Because winning a bowl gives you some positive momentum entering the off season.

Except for Seth's first Bowl, an overtime loss to Army, his other Bowls and blowout losses have been an embarrassment to the program, fans and school.  

2016 Army L 31–38

2017 Troy L 30–50

2018 Utah State L 13–52

2020 Appalachian State L 28–56

2021 Miami (OH) L 14–27

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Given the way players bounce around among schools these days, it seems like that kind of thinking is outdated.

What if it is the other way around?  What if It's MORE IMPORTANT than ever?

Students are hopping around because they are wanting what's in their best interest from year to year.  That includes coming out of high school.  Every single year they are going to want to know what coach is going to be leading them for the next 1 or 2 years.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

What if it is the other way around?  What if It's MORE IMPORTANT than ever?

Students are hopping around because they are wanting what's in their best interest from year to year.  That includes coming out of high school.  Every single year they are going to want to know what coach is going to be leading them for the next 1 or 2 years.

I don't think the coach matters as much as you imply.  It's more about opportunity for playing time and getting on the field than if Nick Saban is the head coach or not.  Players will leave for more media, bigger program/stage, NIL $$, closer to home, and more playing time....coach is probably last consideration.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think many here are assuming that an extension brings the whole gang back.

It doesn’t.

Bloesch may get poached due to his offense putting up impressive #s.

Bennett has already all but said this is his last season & he wants Gush to take over.  He’s not coming back.

Bennett leaving will be a big loss.   I hear TV commentators every week say what a talent PB is, how they enjoyed interacting with him prior to our games and love showing his animation on the sidelines.  Not so much about Seth. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

With the transfer portal, most of the stuff you mentioned regarding recruiting is moot now

I don't know...i still feel like it'd be tough recruiting portal transfers to a place where a coach can be gone within a few weeks of the season starting...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

would you give SL a five year extension?

The better question is would WB extend him that long? Again, Wren is gonna be dealing with:

A coach who would've won at least 7 games 3x in his tenure here--that hasn't happened here since Dickey was leading the program in 2002-2004 in the old SBC.

Said coach's agent, who runs college football coaching and usually gets what he wants for his clients. Sexton is the Scott Boras of college football coaches' agents.

BMD(s) that treat SL as a "son" and have major sway around here.

And by accounts, WB really likes SL as a person, just like most everyone does.