Only Extend Seth Littrell Only if...

NorthTexasWeLove

He changes the approach...

1. Get a QB coach/Co-OC on board. 

2. Phil Bennet must prove to be a recruiting asset. If not, move on, and bring in a DC with similar philosophy with recruiting prowess. 

3. Seth Littrell the person doesn't have to change the complexity of who he is, but Seth Littrell must change his persona. I get it, he's not an actor and no one is asking him to be. But year 1/2 SL needs to come back. Be enthusiastic. Be happy to be where your feet are. 

4. 2 years. 

5. No raise.

6. Smaller buyout. As in nil. 

7. Win a bowl. This season. Non-negotiable. 

If these are dictated to him and he agrees to them (and if he doesn't, a firing for cause will be written into his contract), give him 2 more after he raises our new bowl champ trophy.  

Thoughts? 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

2. Phil Bennet must prove to be a recruiting asset. If not, move on, and bring in a DC with similar philosophy with recruiting prowess. 

3. Seth Littrell the person doesn't have to change the complexity of who he is, but Seth Littrell must change his persona. I get it, he's not an actor and no one is asking him to be. But year 1/2 SL needs to come back. Be enthusiastic. Be happy to be where your feet are. 

4. 2 years. 

5. No raise.

If these are dictated to him and he agrees to them (and if he doesn't, a firing for cause will be written into his contract), give him 2 more after he raises our new bowl champ trophy.  

Thoughts? 

I agree with your ideas.  And I think Seth would be willing as well.  He could retire here and I’d be ok with it so long as we are winning games.

• Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

If NT keeps winning, NT is going to be  in no position to dictate terms

I don’t believe that. If he runs the table he’ll still have more losing seasons than winning ones here. Horrible bowl record. 1 conference champ (a long shot) in 7 seasons. Highest paid coach, best facilities. After the last extension and what he did after, he has no leverage. It’s real simple. Take the offer or or leave and if he leaves it that gives Wren an out and he can save face while getting HIS coach.

“we showed coach Littrell commitment the past 7 years financially and support wise. We offered what we thought was a fair extension and he decided to pursue opportunities elsewhere. We feel good about the future of our program and have coaches lined up to come here”

That’s an absolute win/win for Baker. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Why do people care so much about winning a bowl game that isn't a NY6 bowl?  Conference Championships bring home trophies and get banners put up.

Way too many bowl games and most of them have little meaning or any chance of being significant. Winning 6 is to low a standard. At a minimum move it to 7 unless you win your conference. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Take the offer or or leave and if he leaves it that gives Wren an out and he can save face while getting HIS coach.

I would take issue with some the conditions in extension that were in the original post.  But with a slightly above 0.500 record with one championship and one bowl win out of 7 years he has “I am a competent coach” leverage.  That isn’t much leverage.  Like I stated in another thread Skip Holtz at La Tech did much better while getting paid almost 1 million dolllars less annually.  I think Skip or some coach with a similar resume and background would happily take 1.8 million.

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

4. 2 years. 

5. No raise.

Thoughts? 

Numbers 1-3 aren't going to be in the contract.  They just aren't.  As HC, Littrell gets to make decisions about his assistants, and if the final results don't work, that falls on him.  As for Bennett, he has already proven he is a recruiting asset even if he isn't out recruiting like others.  We know players have come because they wanted to play for him.

Numbers 4-6 are generally reasonable, although the buyout won't be nil.

Regarding Number 7, "Win a bowl"...IMO, whatever decision is made needs to happen before that.  Recruits need to know before early signing day who our coach is going to be in '23.

• Upvote 2

We'd be really stupid to fire Littrell going into the American Conference.  It would set this program back a decade and we had better hope he doesn't decide to leave.  It is impossible to recruit top players when you don't even know who your coach will be.  We would also lose some of the best player we got.  

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, The Insider said:

We'd be really stupid to fire Littrell going into the American Conference.  It would set this program back a decade and we had better hope he doesn't decide to leave.  It is impossible to recruit top players when you don't even know who your coach will be.  We would also lose some of the best player we got.  

2dftk5.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts

Can't enjoy the game for one single day. 

If NT keeps winning, NT is going to be  in no position to dictate terms

Now you think you can dictate not only his contract, but mandate he change his personality

Have you ever had an employee of any kind?  If the answer is yes, you know none of this will work.  

Seth Littrell has zero leverage to negotiate any contractual terms. Wren Baker was taken to the woodshed and taught a lot of athletic administrative lessons by Jimmy Sexton. Wren Baker now has 100% of the leverage. He can, as a matter of fact, dictate his terms to the fullest. Or, hand out a pink slip. 

Pretty simple. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

50 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Why do people care so much about winning a bowl game that isn't a NY6 bowl?  Conference Championships bring home trophies and get banners put up.

I'll take a stab at this.    Bowl games have more visibility than regular season games.    Winning every bowl game is not necessary.   But, you can't lose them all.      And, getting blown out in every recent bowl gives fans no real incentive to go to the next one.

And yes, conference championships are important also.   But, we have not done well in that area also since joining CUSA.

North Texas does not get much National visibility.    They need to take advantage of the opportunity when they get it.

Personally, I don't really care for the bowl system.  But, that is what we are stuck with.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4

I know there’s a lot of chatter on here about winning a conference championship/bowl, but I think you offer the extension if he ends the regular season 8-4. That’s exactly why I’ve been in the wait and see how this season plays out. To me at 8-4 he’s coming back no matter what happens in the post season, so get the extension out there to keep recruiting on track. If they finish 7-5 and end up in the championship game somehow, you probably wait it out to see how they look in the championship game. 6-6 is going to be gut check time for Wren.

And in all reality, if there’s an extension, it will probably be a standard extension without any new bells and whistles. That’s just the way it goes with coach contracts.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

I'm still not sure why we need to extend the coach

There is a school of thought that, if everyone knows the contract is up, your peers will hold that against you when recruiting.  They can tell the kids that Coach X is not going to be in Denton after this year/next.  And, apparently, this is done very aggressively/effectively.

So, based on that, you always want your coach on contract at least one season beyond the current season.  Preferably two.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

4. 2 years. 

5. No raise.

Thoughts? 

#2?😳   
How in hades do we know Phil Bennett is not a recruiting asset already for crissskes?  
Seems to me PB played a huge part in helping to “re-recruit” K.D. Davis who last Summer looked like he was all but headed to TAMU or Ole Miss.      Bennett seems to have more coaching contacts in East Texas than anyone we’ve had in awhile.  We’d be lucky if he chose not to retire after this season.  

Did anyone see our “D” against App. State in that pathetic bowl  game couple years back?  That’s what Phil Bennett inherited, folks.  Case closed. 
•This forum at times would I believe honestly cause the Pope to cuss on Easter Sunday. (No offense if you’re Catholic).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Seth Littrell has zero leverage to negotiate any contractual terms. Wren Baker was taken to the woodshed and taught a lot of athletic administrative lessons by Jimmy Sexton. Wren Baker now has 100% of the leverage. He can, as a matter of fact, dictate his terms to the fullest. Or, hand out a pink slip. 

Pretty simple. 

Maybe simple, but it is far from true.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1