DRC (updated): UNT bounces back from tough loss to UTSA by crushing WKU to bolster C-USA title hopes

Brett Vito

Stone Earle did exactly what I thought he would do after seeing his videos last Spring. Hope he gets more playing time. 

Our Running game has baffled many of us.  Was our offensive line overrated by We the Fans?  I know we tend to do that every Summer.  I also know we had another starter out today so I guess the depth is not as salty as should be?  Hell if I know—experts step in! 🙃

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Stone Earle did exactly what I thought he would do after seeing his videos last Spring. Hope he gets more playing time. 

Our Running game has baffled many of us.  Was our offensive line overrated by We the Fans?  I know we tend to do that every Summer.  I also know we had another starter out today so I guess the depth is not as salty as should be?  Hell if I know—experts step in! 🙃

Certainly not an expert, but teams are loading up trying to stop the run and make NT throw.  It worked for UTSA, but

WKU is not close to as good.  

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC (updated): UNT bounces back from tough loss to UTSA by crushing WKU to bolster C-USA title hopes

Our football program having been at the time in the former “rarely ranked in football” SBC & now with over a decade in CUSA it just seems we hit a particular plateau in our recruiting & development that kept us shy of having outright conference championships. 

For 2023 in AAC football I see us behind: 
SMU    
•East Carolina

•UTSA
•Memphis
& then the next level being UNT•UAB•Tulsa• South Florida•Navy•Charlotte•Rice & Temple.

Like many of you I’ve watched AAC TV games throughout this Fall.  Whereas the (then) SBC to CUSA move it’s easier to see today that it was mostly a lateral move.  
Even a novice (which I profess to be) can see that the American Athletic Conference is going to be a tougher football conference to compete in so without a doubt—if we don’t work NIL & Portal Transfers to the max we will stay in the middle tier of the AAC.  We will not move up unless the overall football quality of the American is lacking.  Looking back that seems the only time we ever really competed for a football championship in past conference affiliations (not counting the then throw-together SBC’s first few years).     
It just seems to me UNT will need a definite expansion of its NIL program & shoot to be in the American’s top 3 in that department & maybe even an increased recruiting ancillary staff to zero in on the Transfer Portal.  
Just my five cents.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Our football program having been at the time in the former “rarely ranked in football” SBC & now with over a decade in CUSA it just seems we hit a particular plateau in our recruiting & development that kept us shy of having outright conference championships. 

For 2023 in AAC football I see us behind: 
SMU    
•East Carolina

•UTSA
•Memphis
& then the next level being UNT•UAB•Tulsa• South Florida•Navy•Charlotte•Rice & Temple.

You probably ought to find a place for Tulane in there, seeing as how they are likely the best team in the conference this year.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Adaway is done with a broken ankle. 

This is just heartbreaking. 

So, based on what I observed in two spring scrimmages. Next up should be Preston Landis (#40). I noticed him on the sideline during the broadcast, so he's on the traveling squad. The true freshman (#20) might get some time as well. But he mainly adds more pure speed than anything. They already have that with #39 and #41. 

Also, I noticed in the spring that they put in a couple of runs from scrimmage (Debo Sweeny style) for Gumms. So, don't be surprised.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Just got home from watching the game.

Was one of about 20 NT fans in attendance today at WKU.

NT looked really good in the second half of this game, and you have to give a lot of credit to Coaches Littrell and Bennett for getting this team ready and executing against a potent WKU offense and a good WKU run defense.

A few impressions that I have.

1. NT beat WKU's butt today. Tyson Helton said just that minutes after the game.
  2. Aune looked pretty good today. 
  3. Even WKU fans were surprised by the targeting call that was retracted. It sure looked like targeting to me and also a very cheap shot by the WKU player. He should be ejected for their game against Charlotte next week for it, but nothing will happen.  Can NT withhold payment to CUSA if the Conference officials don't act? I play for keeps and so should the NT athletic dept. This is an egregious violation of a player's safety and wellbeing.
  4. NT didn't run the "bend don't break" defense today. NT defensive players were flying all over the field and that caught WKU off guard.
  5. NT had a very balanced offense today. The running game looked really good in person.
  6. KD Davis made some huge tackles. He is special.
  7. NT's kicking game was excellent today.
  8. Earl looked really good on the field. WKU was caught flat footed by Earl being put into the game.

Today was a rare treat for me as I live 700 miles from Denton and can't watch NT games in person. I stayed for every second of this game to take it all in.  With NT leaving CUSA, the WKU and MTSU games have now ended and so have my in-person game possibilities.

Thanks for the report. 

NT will be playing at Memphis and UAB in the AAC, are those within driving distance for you?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1