Aune.....

Victorygreen04

31 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He’s 11-10 as a starter. Thompson was 18-19. His record is not bad enough to be precluded from HOF consideration, based on the bar that has been set.

It's sad that using our standards you can actually justifying a quarterback with a .500 record Being Hall of Fame worthy. And people wonder why so many sports fans and former alumni do not take our football program serious

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

We would have beat UTSA if Aune wasn't a pussy and just ran the damn rock a couple of times when he had 15 yards of open field in front of him.

Not saying he should be precluded, just saying that just because his stats for this game and his career stats are good doesn't mean it tells the whole story.

And you're saying if only Earle had played, we win?

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

This HOF talk is ludicrous and his stats are largely inflated by the style of offense we play.

DT got in partly on stats but mostly because he was a 3 year starter who as a senior led us to the first 9 win season and bowl victory in a decade. He was the bowl MVP, the only quarterback we have had as bowl MVP in our history I believe. He even got invited to try out with the Broncos after 2013.

Aune, on the other hand, is in his first season as the day 1 starter. He will need to lead this team to a conference title and bowl game victory just to be in the conversation.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Stat line: 

19/28 68% 317 Yards  2 Td 0 Int ...Thoughts?

Credit where credit is due.  He played like an above average D1 QB today.  That’s all we have needed for the last 2 years to be significantly better than we are.  He had a good day, and appears to be getting better along with the team.  If he continues, we can wins some games.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

This HOF talk is ludicrous and his stats are largely inflated by the style of offense we play.

DT got in partly on stats but mostly because he was a 3 year starter who as a senior led us to the first 9 win season and bowl victory in a decade. He was the bowl MVP, the only quarterback we have had as bowl MVP in our history I believe. He even got invited to try out with the Broncos after 2013.

Aune, on the other hand, is in his first season as the day 1 starter. He will need to lead this team to a conference title and bowl game victory just to be in the conversation.

DT's record his 3 years as a starter was 5-7, 4-8 and 9-4.

Derek Thompson Stats

Screenshot_20221030_102049.jpg.d355fd79fb90e4a6710a8b9bc3e831b6.jpg

Austin Aune's Stats

Screenshot_20221030_102106.jpg.d235aaa3a3441689ad34002bdc75e09b.jpg

The style is more vertical for Aune, but Thompson will have around 200 more attempts than Aune by the time this regular season is done. If we win out Aune will have an 8-4 record with a chance at a conference championship and a bowl game victory.  We have pretty low standards here, so it's not ludicrous to think it would happen if he wins a championship and/or a bowl.

Again, I was not a fan of DT in his time here and didn't think he was HOF worthy. Aune shouldn't be either in my opinion but it's hard to argue one is and one isn't. 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

As I had been harping on, we need Aune at or above 60 percent completion percentage for this offense to be successful. He wasn’t last week so UTsa kept the box stacked and our RBs had nowhere to go. He was accurate early this week and we had running lanes bc WKy had to put more players in coverage. 
It’s really that simple. We will have receivers open early in the game because the game plan is to make Aune beat you instead of our run game. Today he did that. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

by far his best game but he has to do it consistently.  when they stack the box he has to hit the easy passes.

^This. The best game I’ve ever seen from him by far but I struggle to say he’s figured it out because he’s so streaky. Do it consistently and I will change my attitude towards him. Also yes, people really need to pump the brakes on the HOF talk. Let’s have him win something first before we even think about having that conversation.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

No way was this comment 🙄 worthy.  A QB with likely an under 60% completions, less than 1,000 yards rushing (likely under 500 yards) and only one bowl game with or one conference championship definitely should not be in HOF discussion.  This will be his first season getting over 2,000 passing yard which is pedestrian for the pass happy NCAA football dominated by variations of the spread offense.  Majority of teams line up with 3 or more WR 60% or more of plays that aren’t 3rd/4th down with less than 3 yards to go (especially if you are counting smaller Tight Ends that are much better pass catchers than blockers who would have been listed as WR 20 years ago).  Someone needs a 48 hour cool down after big wins and crushing losses before posting on GMG.  😂

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

DT's record his 3 years as a starter was 5-7, 4-8 and 9-4.

Derek Thompson Stats

Screenshot_20221030_102049.jpg.d355fd79fb90e4a6710a8b9bc3e831b6.jpg

Austin Aune's Stats

Screenshot_20221030_102106.jpg.d235aaa3a3441689ad34002bdc75e09b.jpg

The style is more vertical for Aune, but Thompson will have around 200 more attempts than Aune by the time this regular season is done. If we win out Aune will have an 8-4 record with a chance at a conference championship and a bowl game victory.  We have pretty low standards here, so it's not ludicrous to think it would happen if he wins a championship and/or a bowl.

Again, I was not a fan of DT in his time here and didn't think he was HOF worthy. Aune shouldn't be either in my opinion but it's hard to argue one is and one isn't. 

No it isn’t.  Unless you disregard DT having completion percentage better than Aune’s every year.  And only Brelon Chancellor would get significant number of snaps on with the WR Aune has had.  Darnell Smith was good also but with the talent that Seth has brought in at that position I doubt a walk-on coming from JR College climbs his way up the depth chart significantly.

• Downvote 2

I’ve spent the past three Saturday’s doing absolutely nothing but watching college football.  During this time I’ve come to a few conclusions regarding our QB situation.

1:  Aune is an average QB. I see the same things in Aune that I see in other  QB’s.  The mistakes and inconsistent play stand out more with Aune because I’m emotionally invested in the team.

2.  I love our WR’s, but they never seem to bail Aune out with a great catch, especially in a crucial situation. If Aune had thrown the last two passes that Harris threw last week, we’d all be complaining about him over throwing the receiver.  There were a couple of situations yesterday that I felt like the WKU QB threw very high, but the WR made the play.  Once in particular was a 3rd down conversion.

No real point to this post, just sharing what I’ve seen when I watch objectively.

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No it isn’t.  Unless you disregard DT having completion percentage better than Aune’s every year.  And only Brelon Chancellor would get significant number of snaps on with the WR Aune has had.  Darnell Smith was good also but with the talent that Seth has brought in at that position I doubt a walk-on coming from JR College climbs his way up the depth chart significantly.

You're not really making a point he was that much better. 3%, 6% and whatever this year turns out to be. So, basically one extra completed pass a game?  We do have better receivers, but last year I think all the starting receivers from 2013 (you left off Carlos Harris who was decent that year) would have played since we had nothing but backups and Burns (who was a walk on and has climbed his way to being a starter).  I mean DT barely threw more TDs than Interceptions (42 to 34), was that his average WRs fault? But thank God he completed that extra pass.

I think we're just debating over slightly different levels of mediocrity. 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Eye Roll 1

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but everyone realizes we're talking about the HOF for North Texas not the HOF for other schools or all of college football, right?  Maybe we're too liberal, who knows, but by necessity it's all relative to the history of UNT football and nothing else.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but everyone realizes we're talking about the HOF for North Texas not the HOF for other schools or all of college football, right?  Maybe we're too liberal, who knows, but by necessity it's all relative to the history of UNT football and nothing else.

Additionally, if we didn't have a dozen HOF inductees every year, how would our football promos team fill every TV timeout?

• Haha 1