Next UNT coach...Deon?

Hunter Green

College Game Day is in Jackson, Miss today and talk came up about where Deon will be coaching next year. Some thought he's ready for a P5 job. Would Wren make a  play for him? Would we want him here? He would definitely bring some much needed attention to us and it looks like he has a good track record at Jackson St. I say, yes!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT was mentioned actually on gameday as a possible destination for him. I like Skip Holtz, but I would take Deon in a heartbeat. He would do wonders on the recruiting trail. Denton kids would start committing here and recruiting is 100% about recruiting from your home base first, inside - out. And we are very, very rich in talent in Denton County alone. 

• Upvote 7

Well, he's gone 20-5 in three years at Jackson St., they averaged 42,000 in attendance in 2001. JSU finished 11-2 last year and are 7-0 to start this season. I'd the that anyday. AND, he recruits P5 players and signs them.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Well, he's gone 20-5 in three years at Jackson St., they averaged 42,000 in attendance in 2001. JSU finished 11-2 last year and are 7-0 to start this season. I'd the that anyday. AND, he recruits P5 players and signs them.

At first I was thinking no way to Deon.  Now I’m re-thinking.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• Has he created Buzz? YES
  • Has he got some good players (mainly his son)? YES
  • Do they play a very, very, very weak schedule? YES

Their ranking in the FCS is based on winning games against bad teams. You don't know how good they might be due to the weak schedule and the fact their conference has chosen not to have their champion play in the FCS playoffs. Would like to see them let JSU play in the FCS playoffs this year to see how good they are. IMO if his team played Schools from let's say the WAC, M. Valley, or Big Sky, they would probably be at .500 at best.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

The “He ain’t SWAC” stuff?  I don’t follow the SWAC very closely, but it came across as sour grapes/jealousy. If I’m off, I don’t mind being set straight. 

I'm like most and don't follow the SWAC closely but what I have seen is the other coaches don't seem to mind so much what he's done for JSU but they take offense to some of the backhanded ways he makes comments about helping the conference as a whole. They seem to take it as Dion making it known that he can get done what they're not capable of. They seem to feel if he was truly helping the conference these are things that are better discussed in private. True or not it seems to be causing issues. Of course they will not talk about it on ESPN as Dion and coaches like the Lane K have too many buddies on the sets.

I like Deion. I like his energy, his personality, and his chutzpah is over-he-top entertaining. He obviously knows football and has shown himself to be an extraordinary recruiter and capable coach. My gut however tells me he's not the right fit for North Texas. Although, if by some chance Deion should become our coach, I will be his biggest fan!

• Upvote 2