And somewhere Skip Holtz is smiling

El Paso Eagle

I think it was underappreciated how much Holtz did with the (lack of) resources actually at his disposition.

FIU may be improving, but not so much that a loss against that team should be anything less than a fireable offense. FIU was beyond horrid for the first part of the season.

On the other hand if NT wins today, it is in sole position of second place with a clear path toward a conference championship rematch in San Antonio.

• Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think winning the new USFL’s first championship was more than enough validation for him to know La Tech man a mistake. 

They were tired of settling for just above average and wanted to set a new standard, right? They just wanted to set a new standard like everyone here. They had no idea it could backfire.

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

They were tired of settling for just above average and wanted to set a new standard, right? They just wanted to set a new standard like everyone here. They had no idea it could backfire.

It's been said before, but every change has its risk.  Fear of backfire should never force us to keep a lower standard.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Stop there is no comparison to what is going on here.  We aren’t above average.  We are slightly below average here.  Skip Holtz 6-1 in bowl games at La Tech.  5 times no worse than tied for 2nd in CUSA West.  He has been a much better head coach than below average Seth.  Firing Seth after his 3rd consecutive losing without a consensus top 3 CUSA recruiting class would be standard for any large public university serious about just good football (Never mind actual championship and bowl wins).   

BTW this 2016 CUSA Coach of the Year highest annual payout at La Tech is listed at below 800k.    Seth’s salary here is 1.7 million.  More than double Skip’s max.  Give me a break man, UNT spending double the money on coaching here and not getting average results.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Stop there is no comparison to what is going on here.  We aren’t above average.  We are slightly below average here.  Skip Holtz 6-1 in bowl games at La Tech.  5 times no worse than tied for 2nd in CUSA West.  He has been a much better head coach than below average Seth.  Firing Seth after his 3rd consecutive losing without a consensus top 3 CUSA recruiting class would be standard for any large public university serious about just good football (Never mind actual championship and bowl wins).   

I don't think he primarily intended to compare it to SL.  He was just saying they wanted to aim higher, and it backfired.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I suggested him as a candidates a few weeks ago, too. Based off of WB’s track record, I feel confident in his selection process whether it’s Skip or anyone else. 

I like Wren's hiring record, but his firing record is too slow (Benford, Seth).

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

At least in the case of Bedford, no it wasn’t. The guy Wren wanted wasn’t yet available and rather than just hiring anyone Wren chose to wait. 

Who wasn't available?  Wren was hired before Benford started his final contract year at NT.  Seth too had already been  hired before Wren.  Benford was 54-73 up to that point (before the final 8-22 season) but the basketball fan base had already declined to just crickets.  Wren was a new AD and I chalk it up to rookie mistake rather than "his guy not available".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1