Former UNT Coach Speaking Event

meangreen11

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

One thing I’ll always appreciate about him was that he constantly spoke up about being promised a new stadium when he got hired. He kept it in the forefront of the fans and administration to do something.

Greatest lost opportunity in our modern football history. With the right AD this could have been nice.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

14 minutes ago, NT80 said:

With the right Assistant coaches.....

I’ve always wondered how related this was to the AD.  I wonder if he would have hired legit college assistants/defensive staff if he was given the money to do so.  His assistant salary pool was awful and I think ultimately his demise was pretty directly related to those hires. 

• Upvote 5

My undergrad years were 05-08 so I had two years each of DD and Todd.  None of which were winning and it was a painful student experience for a kid who expected to go to 4 more straight New Orleans Bowls but I love both guys despite the challenges because you could see them both scraping potential greatness out of some hardscrabble soil.  The thing I appreciated most about Todd was Riley.  Say all you want about the whole era but a kid like Riley who is the epitome of toughness and being a great teammate couldn’t have been raised by a chump.  And clearly Todd has his skins on the wall.  It didn’t work out, for reasons which some belong to Todd and others belong to things out of his control.  But apart from the tough times, I always admire seeing tough people and they were both tough people who weren’t afraid to put it on the line. 

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

With the right Assistant coaches.....

I’ve said this for years. 2 big mistakes. Not hiring legit college level assistants (AD fail) and bringing in Riley. No disrespect to Riley but he wanted to go to Texas. He just wasnt going to be a QB there. His dad wore him out. 
Todd Dodge can evaluate talent. 

• Thanks 1