The New American

Coach Andy Mac

On 10/28/2022 at 5:00 PM, Coffee and TV said:

It'll be a split conference, right? Memphis in the West with 7 in the East? 

I thought I read somewhere about Navy competing in the West. If that's the case, I would imagine Charlotte, ECU, FAU, Temple, UAB, USF, and Memphis in the East.

I'm excited about the markets we'd get to go to for road games in the new conference altogether, but trips every other year to Annapolis and NOLA would be fun.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I thought I read somewhere about Navy competing in the West. If that's the case, I would imagine Charlotte, ECU, FAU, Temple, UAB, USF, and Memphis in the East.

I'm excited about the markets we'd get to go to for road games in the new conference altogether, but trips every other year to Annapolis and NOLA would be fun.

Navy will likely be in the West again because they combine their football with Wichita State which has all of the non-football sports.  If they played in the East someone in the west would have to shift east in basketball and the other Olympic sports.

• Upvote 3

Harry
This post was recognized by Harry!

"Good take backed by solid data"

UNT Texas Hooligan was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

I will never forget some of the people on Twitter saying the new Sun Belt would be miles better than the new American with their additions. Meanwhile in reality, 4 of 5 future American teams either lead or are in the top half of C-USA (other than the dumpster fire that is Charlotte) while Marshall and ODU are dead last in the Sun Belt East and only Southern Piss look to be punching at their weight sitting tied for second in the West. Also, don't get me started on the "basketball dominant" Sun Belt with the addition of Marshall, ODU, etc:

image.png.f5b32691b4163f73a983ed2c932bd56d.png

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Looking to next year (2023) SL could come out at 3-0. on the schedule so far is LATECH, CAL  and ACU.  I thought we would have won a least two games (OC) this year.

Speaking of next year's OOC schedule, it will be interesting to see who our fourth opponent is. I assume it will be a road game. UTEP, WKU, and MTSU are all fully booked for 2023 nonconference. We might get a seventh home game with another FCS opponent.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Speaking of next year's OOC schedule, it will be interesting to see who our fourth opponent is. I assume it will be a road game. UTEP, WKU, and MTSU are all fully booked for 2023 nonconference. We might get a seventh home game with another FCS opponent.

We already play ACU next year.   You can't play 2 FCS opponents and count both toward bowl eligibility. 
It's Wren's job.  He'll figure it out.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We already play ACU next year.   You can't play 2 FCS opponents and count both toward bowl eligibility. 
It's Wren's job.  He'll figure it out.

I was hoping we wouldn't need it to be bowl eligible next year, but who knows.

But going through fbschedules.com and looking for schools with <4 nonconference games in 2023 sounds like much better than work right now. Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Looks like Army and New Mexico St need another home game on 9/9, the same week of our opening. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Try to get a home/home with GATech, or pay NMSt to come in.

Littrell has already nixed the Army series.  He doesn't want to play them.

There is a lot of talent in Georgia. Could be a great showcase opportunity, especially if we perform well and take advantage of GA Tech's current state.

• Upvote 2

On 10/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, C Rod said:

With all of our history and experience with SMU, I'm curious what makes you think SMU would choose us as their chief conference rival? IMO the only reason SMU chooses us for their Thanksgiving game is so they can grab an easy win and make it home within an hour after the game for leftover turkey. If we compare rivalries, SMU vs Rice beats SMU vs UNT by a mile. I see SMU's old alumni base and big money donors more excited about an annual Thanksgiving game vs Rice than against us. 

http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/smu

http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/rice

Like them or not, the Cowboys own Thanksgiving Day in this market and would pose a huge conflict - especially in University Park.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

One FCS opponent is too many.  But Seth loves them....

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, keith said:

I'm not saying SMU would *choose* us.  I'm suggesting that if it were up to us and for it to make the most sense for the AAC, it would be SMU.  We've been playing SMU on an annual basis lately (SMU and Rice have not).  They have a history of playing in the same conference.  The fact that they did not continue the series speaks to its importance to them.  The proximity of our campuses, the private vs public storyline and the fact that we have played each other as much as we have without being in the same conference all speaks to the natural rivalry that exists between UNT and SMU.

Sure but your rational is all fan speak and hopium. I’d love for the crosstown rivalry to take hold too however SMU has been trying to keep us from joining their ranks for years. SMU with their money and clout as current a AAC member, will have their choice of chief conference rival. Unfortunately, with what we know about SMU, why would they choose UNT and thereby elevate us as their chief rival? SMU turns up their nose and scoffs the same way many on this board do when someone talks about our growing rivalry with UTSA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

39 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Sure but your rational is all fan speak and hopium. I’d love for the crosstown rivalry to take hold too however SMU has been trying to keep us from joining their ranks for years. SMU with their money and clout as current a AAC member, will have their choice of chief conference rival. Unfortunately, with what we know about SMU, why would they choose UNT and thereby elevate us as their chief rival? SMU turns up their nose and scoffs the same way many on this board do when someone talks about our growing rivalry with UTSA. 

Well, I doubt they will want UTSA any more in this spot than NT unless they want to elevate them. The scholastic are def no better than NT. That leaves Rice. However Rice does not bring attendance (not sure about Tulsa, but doubt they create much more attendance than Rice). So I would assume it is back to NT, as that guarantees good attendance at the end of the season, no matter what the results of the two schools were. Financially it is the most prudent thing to do. At the beginning of the season almost everyone has good attendance as that is before things go south and fan bases check out. The trick is to get people to come in the middle and later parts of the season.

The other part is that Tulane also gets to have a word in who they want to play. If they want Rice, then SMU has to choose someone else. However that could leave a worst case of NT ending up with Tulsa. its geographically close, at least if nothing else.

Edited by outoftown

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Good take"

keith was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

This is a fan board after all.  However, I don't think it's going to be up to SMU or to us.  If the Conference knows what's good for the conference, it will pit UNT and SMU in a meaningful conference game late in the season.  Call it rivalry week or whatever, but that's what will create the most buzz for the conference and the local area.  The facts suggest this is what the fans want too.  We've played SMU on a regular basis in what amount to meaningless games year after year and we've played UTSA in meaningful conference games with conference titles and national rankings on the line.  Let's see what people care about.

Here are our home attendance numbers going back to 2013 for both SMU and UTSA.  Even when we are playing for a conference title or when the Roadrunners come in here as the highest ranked team to grace Apogee, the fans still prefer attending the SMU game over the UTSA game to the tune of 4,171 fans on average (5,671 fans if you eliminate to two outlier years).  

image.png.80bf613dedb5cb3158717148a3c2e7af.png

And it's the same for SMU.  Just looking at their 2021 year, the UNT game was by far the highest attended game all year at 29,121.  They didn't draw above 23,400 the rest of the year and only got 17,158 for Tulsa.

Some goober is suggesting that SMU/UTSA be the big rivalry in the new AAC for these two?  Have they even played a game against each other?  

Look, I like what's building between UNT and UTSA.  That's what happens when you play meaningful conference games.  Hopefully we get another shot at them this year.  As fun as those games have been and hopefully continue to be, they will pale by comparison, when we play games against SMU if there is something meaningful on the line, IMHO.

• Thanks 1