The New American

Coach Andy Mac

A revival of the SMU vs Rice rivalry shouldn't be overlooked. http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/rice

48-41-1 in SMU's favor. Rice beat SMU 127-3 in 1916 for the ass whooping of the century. SMU returned the favor 58-0 in 1978. They play for a trophy called the Mayor's Cup. The last game in the series was in 2012 before SMU bolted for the American in 2013 and they haven't played since.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, keith said:

Dear God man...we've been playing SMU going as far back as 1922.  I think we've played more games against SMU than just about anyone else.  Our campuses are 45 miles apart.  Sad to say, but we've wanted to be in the same conference with them since I don't know when.  We finally get that next year and you want to give it up for a school we've played 10 times?  Yes, SMU has kicked our ass more often than not, but they have also benefited from always being a notch or two above us in the pecking order of college football.  We've scratched and clawed our way back from the brink (1-AA) finally making our way into the AAC where we will be conference mates.  The playing field will finally start to level out...maybe not right away, but hopefully sooner than later.  UNT/SMU is the logical "cross-town" rival for the AAC.  We can still hate UTSA without them being designated as our chief conference rival.  

With all of our history and experience with SMU, I'm curious what makes you think SMU would choose us as their chief conference rival? IMO the only reason SMU chooses us for their Thanksgiving game is so they can grab an easy win and make it home within an hour after the game for leftover turkey. If we compare rivalries, SMU vs Rice beats SMU vs UNT by a mile. I see SMU's old alumni base and big money donors more excited about an annual Thanksgiving game vs Rice than against us. 

http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/smu

http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/rice

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

It'll be a split conference, right? Memphis in the West with 7 in the East? 

It seems the new way of scheduling college football is to have two or three permanent rivals and then play the rest against rotating teams. I would not expect the conference to be and a W&E breakdown.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, keith said:

Dear God man...we've been playing SMU going as far back as 1922.  I think we've played more games against SMU than just about anyone else.  Our campuses are 45 miles apart.  Sad to say, but we've wanted to be in the same conference with them since I don't know when.  We finally get that next year and you want to give it up for a school we've played 10 times?  Yes, SMU has kicked our ass more often than not, but they have also benefited from always being a notch or two above us in the pecking order of college football.  We've scratched and clawed our way back from the brink (1-AA) finally making our way into the AAC where we will be conference mates.  The playing field will finally start to level out...maybe not right away, but hopefully sooner than later.  UNT/SMU is the logical "cross-town" rival for the AAC.  We can still hate UTSA without them being designated as our chief conference rival.  

I guess it is all about what kind of rivalry you want. Do you want a OU/UT rivalry where there is hate on both sides or a Tech/UT rivalry where Tech loathes Texas while Texas just looks at Tech as annoying? I’d rather have a mutual rivalry and SMU will always say TCU is their rival.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

If they keep the throwback logo it gives them extra power. 

Damn it sure do…I have to admit I love their light blue and green old school lovelies. Combine that with NOLA, academics, former Sugar Bowl hosts…I have a small soft spot for those guys.  Especially with their 12-0 team from ‘98…that was original representation for all of us G5’s.  All that said, their new stadium sucks and although they’re good this year, if we ever get real about football we should beat them consistently.  Should’ve beat them in the superdome in 13, I remember being so pissed about that.  The cold sack loss couldve never even mattered had we won that stupid game.  We were learning to win at the time in a mid season contest though.  Just always wanted to avenge that.  Also always wanted to avenge that dumb loss to Ohio that year.  We so easily could’ve been a one loss team that year and even then we played Georgia great.  I remember getting urinalside compliments in Athens at halftime about how great we were.  Anyway, 2013 aside, we have unfinished bidness with Tulane and they don’t have all that much on us.  We can very quickly overcome their recent prowess.

But, I agree their logo and look are just terrific. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, C Rod said:

With all of our history and experience with SMU, I'm curious what makes you think SMU would choose us as their chief conference rival? IMO the only reason SMU chooses us for their Thanksgiving game is so they can grab an easy win and make it home within an hour after the game for leftover turkey. If we compare rivalries, SMU vs Rice beats SMU vs UNT by a mile. I see SMU's old alumni base and big money donors more excited about an annual Thanksgiving game vs Rice than against us. 

http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/smu

http://www.winsipedia.com/smu/vs/rice

I'm not saying SMU would *choose* us.  I'm suggesting that if it were up to us and for it to make the most sense for the AAC, it would be SMU.  We've been playing SMU on an annual basis lately (SMU and Rice have not).  They have a history of playing in the same conference.  The fact that they did not continue the series speaks to its importance to them.  The proximity of our campuses, the private vs public storyline and the fact that we have played each other as much as we have without being in the same conference all speaks to the natural rivalry that exists between UNT and SMU.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I guess it is all about what kind of rivalry you want. Do you want a OU/UT rivalry where there is hate on both sides or a Tech/UT rivalry where Tech loathes Texas while Texas just looks at Tech as annoying? I’d rather have a mutual rivalry and SMU will always say TCU is their rival.

SMU and TCU are not in the same conference.  The topic is conference rivalries.  While they have been too few wins in the series for us, my guess is the school SMU hates losing to the most out of everyone they play is UNT.  They might like beating TCU the most, but they can't stand it when they lose to us.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, keith said:

SMU and TCU are not in the same conference.  The topic is conference rivalries.  While they have been too few wins in the series for us, my guess is the school SMU hates losing to the most out of everyone they play is UNT.  They might like beating TCU the most, but they can't stand it when they lose to us.

On the flip side, who do we hate losing to most? Depends on who you ask I suppose.

I’d also be interested in @SMU2006, @malonish, and @DentonStang’s opinion on if you are correct in saying there is nobody they’d hate to lose to more than us.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1