Houston Astros superfan Mattress Mack can't lose, no matter who wins the World Series

meangreenfaninno

INSTEAD OF A bank vault or a Brink's truck, the betting slips from what could be the largest payout in sports gambling history are being guarded by nothing more than an old, tattered Houston Astros backpack. On a recent Tuesday afternoon in Houston, with the MLB playoffs about to begin, the faded blue nylon bag -- its contents worth potentially millions -- sits on the floor of the massive Gallery Furniture showroom, just within arm's reach of its owner: the Houston furniture magnate and Astros superfan Jim McIngvale, better known around these parts and in the world of high-stakes sports gambling as Mattress Mack.

Lanky and seemingly equal parts ears, teeth, cowboy boots and charisma, McIngvale has been a household name in Houston for decades thanks to his wacky TV commercials and his Ross Perot delivery. "I just have what you might call a high tolerance for risk," McIngvale says. "Damon Runyon said 'All horse players die broke.' And I know I shouldn't bet with my heart, but it's hard not to and it's a lot more fun." In 2017, McIngvale gained national attention for opening his doors and sheltering hundreds of victims of Hurricane Harvey for weeks inside his furniture showroom, something he also did after Hurricane Katrina years prior. After the storm, as the Astros continued their historic run to the 2017 World Series, McIngvale was in the news yet again, this time for an only-in-Texas furniture promotion through which anyone who bought a mattress from Gallery Furniture would get it for free if the Astros won it all.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34870415/houston-astros-superfan-mattress-mack-lose-no-matter-wins-world-series

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

2 Mattress Mack posts within a week. Why am I not surprised by this? A lot of attention given to an alum that doesn't give 2 sh*ts about this school

Every time I walk in his store with my NT hat he stops and talks with me.  He has a signed NT helmet on display as you walk in.  I haven’t been able to determine who all signed the helmet.  He’s royalty here in Houston and didn’t he pay for a private plane for all football team members to attend the funeral of a kid who died in a car crash on the way to school?  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BBA1989 said:

Every time I walk in his store with my NT hat he stops and talks with me.  He has a signed NT helmet on display as you walk in.  I haven’t been able to determine who all signed the helmet.  He’s royalty here in Houston and didn’t he pay for a private plane for all football team members to attend the funeral of a kid who died in a car crash on the way to school?  

That’s very nice of him. Next time, why don’t you ask him the last time he attended an NT game, participated in anything NT related, or gave any money to the school. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 2

9 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

That’s very nice of him. Next time, why don’t you ask him the last time he attended an NT game, participated in anything NT related, or gave any money to the school. 

Sorry that he doesn’t come to enough UNT events for your liking, he’s too busy doing every charitable event in Houston. But go off.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Mac Andy said:

Sorry that he doesn’t come to enough UNT events for your liking, he’s too busy doing every charitable event in Houston. But go off.

Good for him. And he’s a legend in Houston for it as he should be. He does nothing for NT so stop talking about him in relation to NT. Hope I’ve simplified it enough for you to understand 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

9 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Why not ask the thousands of Alums that have never gave a cent to NT or went to a sporting event from NT?

My guess is that McInvale bets on both teams and the net lost is charged to advertising expense.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Why not ask the thousands of Alums that have never gave a cent to NT or went to a sporting event from NT?

My guess is that McInvale bets on both teams and the net lost is charged to advertising expense.  

Are we making post after post about those alums?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

21 hours ago, BBA1989 said:

As soon as that coach left, his interest in the program (and dollars) left. Not saying that’s wrong, but it’s the true outcome of MM and DD becoming pals. Not to mention he claims to be a former UT player and not a former NT letter winner.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Are we making post after post about those alums?

We aren't even making post after post about mattress mack. Just fun reads about a UNT supporter which have almost no impact on your daily life. Feel free to pass the thread up and move along.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

As soon as that coach left, his interest in the program (and dollars) left. Not saying that’s wrong, but it’s the true outcome of MM and DD becoming pals. Not to mention he claims to be a former UT player and not a former NT letter winner.

47 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He actually played football for UNT.  And he donated far more money to UNT athletics than most of us combined.

And as seen here, his interest and donations come at a price. He hasn’t done anything for NT in years so once again, why should we care?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

And as seen here, his interest and donations come at a price. He hasn’t done anything for NT in years so once again, why should we care?

We currently have threads about how proud Dan McCarney would be of SL, and updates from Lawrence, Kansas about Jason Bean.

Just a few more of these "why should we care" posts, and I'm sure we will have the perfect message board for you.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

• Harry featured this topic
2 hours ago, greenminer said:

We currently have threads about how proud Dan McCarney would be of SL, and updates from Lawrence, Kansas about Jason Bean.

Just a few more of these "why should we care" posts, and I'm sure we will have the perfect message board for you.

Typical NT fans, honestly. Following up on people we shouldn’t even care about. Such a small school, Old Denton mentality, it’s embarrassing. Do P5 schools have threads following up on former failed offensive coordinators, people that have even the smallest affiliation to their school, etc?

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Typical NT fans, honestly. Following up on people we shouldn’t even care about. Such a small school, Old Denton mentality, it’s embarrassing. Do P5 schools have threads following up on former failed offensive coordinators, people that have even the smallest affiliation to their school, etc?

I Don't see it that way.  My point was, this is typical of message boards.  Tons of people that are coming together from different mindsets, different regions (all over the world!).  This isn't something specific to Old Denton, or GMG.com, and I think you know that.

This place is a lot more enjoyable when you stop trying to filter or police the content.  I know I am certainly guilty of that and, in my experience, it happens when I'm spending too much time on it.  Your mind gets hung up on so much negativity.

Edited by greenminer

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I Don't see it that way.  My point was, this is typical of message boards.  Tons of people that are coming together from different mindsets, different regions (all over the world!).  This isn't something specific to Old Denton, or GMG.com, and I think you know that.

This place is a lot more enjoyable when you stop trying to filter or police the content.  I know I am certainly guilty of that and, in my experience, it happens when I'm spending too much time on it.  Your mind gets hung up on so much negativity.

Fair enough. I'll hang up now 🤝

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2022 at 12:30 AM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I can't answer to the first two questions but the last money that he gave to the school was 1 million dollars.

• Upvote 3

Jim McIngvale was at UNT the same time my age group were there.  Being from the Houston area I’ve been aware of his benevolences for years. He has the ego, but who else at that stratosphere doesn’t?

👏 👏The thing is Mattress Mac gave $1,000,000 to UNT when no one else was giving that kind of cash to UNT in the early 2000’s.  Too much water under the bridge since all the semi-drama with Dickey took place 20+ years ago.  
To move on from that kind of thing is ultimately healthier for all, isn’t it? 

Y’all pardon me while I still wipe my eyes from the Astros win last night. I saw my first Astros game in 1962 at Colt Stadium when they were called the Colt .45’s. So many great memories albeit not many wins back then & thereafter. 

26C204E5-237E-4F33-8B15-5F597D3A3332.thumb.jpeg.95a96f100d691f2987e19f70f78b2e57.jpeg

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...