🎃Halloween Horror At Apogee (& on national TV to boot)!🧛🧟‍♀️

PlummMeanGreen

It was Halloween Night, 2013, at fabulous Apogee Stadium inside the Mean Green Village. 
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba’s Birds the Word! Owls & Eagles!  Great weeknight crowd who were into this football game early on. 
I believe it was ESPN who would televise this  birdfest.
••• DFW’s KTCK’ 1310 “The Ticket” (& UNT grad) George “Jub-Jub” Dunham was on the MGRN microphone—UNT sports broadcasting class professor Hank Dickenson was doing the color.  
So……Set the Night To Music, Green Brigade, because the Mean Green were hot, were winning & were popular! (It seems to all go hand-in-hand).

••• Was the MG’s Kenny Byers the best open field tackler in MG football history?  •••The Jimmerson Show would take place on this special weeknight game; Then there’s Thompson, Orr, Chancellor, Y’Barbo, Trice & other heroes
•••This Mean Green team (who in a little over 2 months) would play before an estimated 40,000 UNT fans on a New Years Day bowl game in the Cotton Bowl Stadium.
OK, I’ll shut up!🙅🏽  🙂
Enjoy the video!!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6

I was a student and this game made me a fan. I'd been to games before but I'd never heard Apogee that loud, especially during the "North Texas" chants where one side responds to the other. I think my favorite memory was some of us students yelling at one of the Rice coaches to recruit better players and him turning around to yell back at us. Great memories all around.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

I can’t figure out why this game felt so BIG and MASSIVE but damn it was and attending this game amongst a section of absolutely shitfaced students in Halloween costumes was definitely the highlight of my time in college. regarding that other idiotic thread by the “student” we had no problems filling up half the stadium with students on HALLOWEEN, but go off kid…

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Coach Mac Andy said:

I can’t figure out why this game felt so BIG and MASSIVE but damn it was and attending this game amongst a section of absolutely shitfaced students in Halloween costumes was definitely the highlight of my time in college. regarding that other idiotic thread by the “student” we had no problems filling up half the stadium with students on HALLOWEEN, but go off kid…

I believe Rice was undefeated in conference. This was supposed to the game that would get us to the conference championship game if we took care of business the rest of the way but we ended up losing on the last home game of the season on a cold and rainy day in Denton to our non-rival UTSA.

• Upvote 2

I

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I was a student and this game made me a fan. I'd been to games before but I'd never heard Apogee that loud, especially during the "North Texas" chants where one side responds to the other. I think my favorite memory was some of us students yelling at one of the Rice coaches to recruit better players and him turning around to yell back at us. Great memories all around.

Apogee loud?  
The day after Apogee’s 2011 debut game & in the Sunday sports page the UH Coog’s Coach Kevin Sumlin said he had no idea the new stadium would be as loud.  He had to call 2 “crowd noise” timeouts.  I knew Apogee Stadium was going to be special from that game on.  

••• Here’s the 1’st touchdown scored in Apogee Stadium in September of 2011. 

• Upvote 1