UNT alum/ex MG Football player Jim “Mattress” Mack” McIngvale bets $10 million on Astros!

Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale has bet $10 million on the Astros to win the World Series. Yesterday, WBAP 820 AM said he could win up to $75-100 million if he wins. 

The city of Houston’s super enthusiasts funded a large portion of UNT’s Athletic Center over at the Mean Green Village.  

A year or 2 ago I saw a documentary on McIngvale & at his main store information center table was a North Texas Mean Green football helmet.  I’ll try to find that video.

https://thecollegevoice.org/2022/02/28/the-legend-of-mattress-mack/

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 4

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to UNT alum/ex MG Football player Jim “Mattress” Mack” McIngvale bets $10 million on Astros!
1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The same guy who made us put Darrell Dickey's name on a practice field because we fired a guy who went 42-64? The same guy who hasn't come back here one time for a game at a new stadium that overlooks those wonderfully named fields that he blessed us with?

I won't hold my breath on getting him back in the fold ever again. He loved Darrell Dickey, not anyone else here.

I feel like that is an unfair characterization of UNT's relationship with Mac.  He has given millions to UNT and was there when we truly needed him most.  I really don't want you to discount the relationship we have shared with him over the years.

https://northtexan.unt.edu/issues/2019-spring/jim-mcingvale

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

Over the years, Mattress Mack has received numerous accolades -- including a World Championship ring from the Houston Astros. And now, he's added a UNT honorary degree to the list.

McIngvale came to UNT as a student his junior season in 1972 to play for the Mean Green football team -- first under Rod Rust, who also coached "Mean" Joe Greene and other legendary players before heading to the NFL, and later under the famous Hayden Fry, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2003.

McIngvale played until 1974 but never completed his degree. In October, during his visit to campus to speak at the G. Brint Ryan College of Business Distinguished Speaker Series, he was awarded an honorary degree by President Neal Smatresk. He also received a 2018 Distinguished Alumni Award at the annual event hosted by the UNT Alumni Association.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

I read the whole thing...great article. Never mentions one time he's been back here to watch us play in a sport in which he was a letterwinner. Never mentions another penny given to the athletic program. I'm certain that if either has occurred, we'd have known all about it.

Surely he's been invited and courted as a doner? I feel certain Neil and Wren would not let that stone be unturned. We could name the refurbished athletic center after him, with a sizeable donation, of course. Is there any relationship between him and Lovelace, McNatt or Ryan?

• Upvote 2

Jim McIngvale: A UNT Distinguished Alum talks about his years at North Texas.  He was presented an Honorary Degree from UNT Super Alum Brint Ryan & UNT President Smatresk.  
Brint Ryan’s international company is CUSA’s main TV sponsor of CUSA-related bowl games, the CUSA basketball tournament in Frisco, the NIT held at the UNT Super Pit & Frisco last year & (I presume) its finals in New York City.

This Video has an ex UNT football player (Sam Golden) from the early 70’s that some of you would remember who spoke highly about the Houston hero of Hurricane Harvey & the Texas Deep Freeze 2 February’s ago.

(Basically, Jim Mac’ & his company staff were busy feeding & saving lives of many of the poor who lost everything in Hurricanes Katrina & Harvey & who  literally had no other place to go).  Good stuff.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

I read the whole thing...great article. Never mentions one time he's been back here to watch us play in a sport in which he was a letterwinner. Never mentions another penny given to the athletic program. I'm certain that if either has occurred, we'd have known all about it.

Seems to be a common theme with former players. During the HOF activities, I only heard part, but it sounded like Nick Zuniga had very little to with UNT for a long time. This area (former players) and student engagement could stand a lot more attention from our Athletic department.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Same as every year, same publicity stunt

Honestly, UNT TH, does Jim McIngvale really need publicity on any aspects of his life at age 71? 
Being an old Colt .45’s/Astros fan i hope he wins his bet & then gives Smatresk & AD Wren Baker half of it to complete the Athletic Center then expand it out be an Apogee End Zone Facilty like La Tech has & SMU will have soon enough.

F2B18E97-2ED8-4E4B-BB6F-C44ABF3C95A9.jpeg.bb15707bb99e84a5bdcfce3ae0db9644.jpeg

CC54F376-FE54-44C4-95EA-88400550CA1A.jpeg.0f17b96a239730a4864ee7de603f8eaa.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Hope he loses as i hate the Asstros

I’m from the greater Houston area & have been following the ‘Tros since they came into the majors with the Mets in 1962.    
Many fun times at their first home (Colt Stadium) & then the Astrodome.  
Players from opposing teams I was fortunate to see as a kid were:    
Hank Aaron, Willie Mayes, Willie McCovey, Juan Marichal, Maury Wills, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Stan Musial (in his last season), Ernie Banks, Lou Brock, Richie Allen & so many more. 

I am also a Texas Ranger fan & could not understand why they treated Nolan Ryan as they did in his last days as a Ranger. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I’m from the greater Houston area & have been following the ‘Tros since they came into the majors with the Mets in 1962.    
Many fun times at their first home (Colt Stadium) & then the Astrodome.  
Players from opposing teams I was fortunate to see as a kid were:    
Hank Aaron, Willie Mayes, Willie McCovey, Juan Marichal, Maury Wills, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Stan Musial (in his last season), Ernie Banks, Lou Brock, Richie Allen & so many more. 

I am also a Texas Ranger fan & could not understand why they treated Nolan Ryan as they did in his last days as a Ranger. 

Believe me, as a sad miserable Rangers fan, idk why they have done anything outside of this year when they finally got rid of Jon Daniels. Im hoping with this latest hire for Manager, which is probably one of their best ever, they can turn things around. They’re supposed to have a huge offseason so we’ll see what happens. Haven’t been this optimistic in 10 years

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Believe me, as a sad miserable Rangers fan, idk why they have done anything outside of this year when they finally got rid of Jon Daniels. Im hoping with this latest hire for Manager, which is probably one of their best ever, they can turn things around. They’re supposed to have a huge offseason so we’ll see what happens. Haven’t been this optimistic in 10 years

Even if they do turn things around, the new "ballpark" still sucks donkey balls. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Agree 100%.  They totally copied the Astros on that.  It was a huge wast of money too.

There was not a damn thing wrong with the Temple, the Rangers just didn't want to tell the league that they simply can not play day games after June for health reasons. This sack of douches that own the Rangers just wanted a new stadium to help increase profits when they sell. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

He mentions his time playing football at UT but not good ole North Texas. I think he doesn't give a shit about his old school.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34870415/houston-astros-superfan-mattress-mack-lose-no-matter-wins-world-series

I was just about to post this. We feature him, but nothing on the ESPN article about us. 

• Upvote 2

It has to be one of the most mishandled donor situations in the history of UNT.  You have a letterman who is giving you tons of money (at the time) and you let the AD decide to can his best friend Daryl Dickey right after he had heart surgery?  You knew he was going to be pissed about that.  Why not wait until after the season?  Just really dumb decisions by the leadership at UNT.

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

It has to be one of the most mishandled donor situations in the history of UNT.  You have a letterman who is giving you tons of money (at the time) and you let the AD decide to can his best friend Daryl Dickey right after he had heart surgery?  You knew he was going to be pissed about that.  Why not wait until after the season?  Just really dumb decisions by the leadership at UNT.

Yeah, they should have kept DD around longer were he could debase NT some more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1