CUSA Championship Game Opponent?

A thread and poll were started on RowdyTalk that asks who we would want to play in the CUSA Championship Game. 

So far, UNT has received the most votes.  (Rivalry/Not a Rivalry, right?) 

What do y'all think?  Would y'all want to play the Roadrunners again this year?  Who instead? 

I understand there's a still a chance neither of us could make it to the Championship Game and I also understand that some folks don't like discussing anything past the next game.  So, this question is for those of us that don't mind contemplating future possibilities.  

#CUSA: UTSA vs. ??? in C-USA Championship game poll (rowdytalk.com)

Edited by UTSA Paratrooper 04
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, NT93 said:

A rematch would be great!  If the chips somehow miraculously fall to where the game was in Denton, even better.

In theory, UTSA would have time for its long list of walking wounded to get healed and back on the field by the time the Championship game happens. We can't even beat their stand-ins. How disastrous would that game end up being?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

In theory, UTSA would have time for its long list of walking wounded to get healed and back on the field by the time the Championship game happens. We can't even beat their stand-ins. How disastrous would that game end up being?

My thoughts exactly 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

So UTSA is guaranteed to be in the championship?

The OP said that it's possible neither team makes it.

30 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

So you'd rather we not play for the Conference Championship?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

3-1 doesn't do it (especially if that 1 loss is against WKY).

3-1 would likely do it if we beat WKU. Only way it wouldn't is if we lose to UAB and they win out. At that point it would likely by a 3-way tie between UNT, UAB, and WKU. Not sure what the tiebreaker would be.

If we lose to WKU then our chances are cooked. 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Not even with some help?  I haven’t gone week by week for WKY, Rice, or UAB. If I’m wrong, then 4-0!

UTSA would have to lose 2 (they have a tiebreaker).    If we lose to WKY, then they'd also have to lose 2 as they'd have the head-to-head tiebreaker over us.  If UAB wins out and we do too, but drop 1 to them, we'd have 2 losses like them, except they'd have the head-to-head tiebreaker. 
We'd need a lot of help with 1 more loss.   It's possible, but not probable.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

3-1 would likely do it if we beat WKU. Only way it wouldn't is if we lose to UAB and they win out. At that point it would likely by a 3-way tie between UNT, UAB, and WKU. Not sure what the tiebreaker would be.

If we lose to WKU then our chances are cooked. 

Ah yes.  A 3-way tie I guess could leave the door cracked... but in that case, how much you wanna bet C-USA/Judy finds a way to screw NT & UAB since we're leaving to get WKU in since they're staying?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ah yes.  A 3-way tie I guess could leave the door cracked... but in that case, how much you wanna bet C-USA/Judy finds a way to screw NT & UAB since we're leaving to get WKU in since they're staying?

I'm surprised you seem so confident UAB will win out. I'd bet everything I have that whoever wins between UNT and WKU will make the CUSA Championship. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I'm surprised you seem so confident UAB will win out. I'd bet everything I have that whoever wins between UNT and WKU will make the CUSA Championship. 

I think I'd give UAB a better chance to win out than us (sans their game @LSU obviously).  Rice can always jump up and bite us too.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Do you think Judy has the where with all to do that?

The latest tiebreaker info I can see published is from 2019, and it has all kinds of "division" mentions, which we don't have this year.

Can we say, "lack of preparation"?    Par for the course.   

And wouldn't you know it?   They'd find some document on Monday, 11/28, that says: "In the case of a 3-way tie, the Northernmost team will play for the championship."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

I'm going to play Debbie downer here.

I would love a rematch, but I remember how prepared coach mumbles came into that FAU rematch many moons ago.

So, all my enthusiasm is imprisoned behind knowing that our team will come into that game, do nothing different, with Average Aune leading the charge. 

I just have a really hard time being optimistic anymore. I'm going to go yell at some clouds.

• Upvote 3