I don’t want to give excuses on the last drive BUT

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It’s clear this is offensive PI, and even though not much was called in this game, this is a play that is clear Texada was moved and lost his balance because of force, not bad technique.

Clark is a big WR and great at the jump ball tactic, BUT Texada is one of the best CBs in the country in pass breakups and had a great angle at it.

I don’t care if he’s smaller than him, if we doesn’t get pushed off on that play, he breaks it up and limits the opportunity for UTSA to score again. There are so many what ifs on that drive, but the luck ran out…

Something that I keep looking at though, Texada is a stud. I hope he stays here for his entire college career, he will be an all conference consensus each year.

I agree with you, but the defense was clearly gassed having been on the field a majority of the game. Offense needed to help by extending drives and staying on the field more but they didn’t.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I agree with you, but the defense was clearly gassed having been on the field a majority of the game. Offense needed to help by extending drives and staying on the field more but they didn’t.

Oh yeah for sure, and the utsa gameplan was spectacular on both sides of the ball. BUT if that’s any other receiver than Cardenas on the one handed catch, and any other receiver than Clark on the TD, NT holds on.

I don’t know why it took 2 full quarters for Aune to figure it out…

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Oh yeah for sure, and the utsa gameplan was spectacular on both sides of the ball. BUT if that’s any other receiver than Cardenas on the one handed catch, and any other receiver than Clark on the TD, NT holds on.

Yup, but people will see he went for 325 and 3 TDs and say it wasn't his fault. It wasn't his fault exclusively, but him not being able to get completions to extend drives exhausted our defense and gave UTSA time for that last drive

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

I think a lot more than that hasn't been called before, so I'm not gonna mope about the push-off. And of course my Stadium feed went out for the 4th down play. I am pissed that we didn't just fall on the ball on the kickoff. Would have placed us at at least the -30 with 15 seconds left and a couple of timeouts. Even though they would have been in a prevent defense, needed to give Shorter, Gumms, or Burns another chance. Each guy had at least 46-yard reception on the day.

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Because just like the UNLV game, we need the opponent to find the end zone first before we start doing anything. We can't get a stop and take advantage. Nor can we take advantage when we get the ball back to start the half.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question - Were we out of timeouts at the end?

I was screaming for us to call a timeout just before they snapped the ball on the game winning play.  We were in disarray and needed to regroup.  One tackle inbounds and the game was over.

Edited by StealthEagle84
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StealthEagle84 said:

I was screaming for us to call a timeout just for they snapped the ball on the game winning play.  We were in disarray and needed to regroup.  One tackle inbounds and the game was over.

Yeah, that was unforgiveable. Give your defense a chance to breathe and set themselves before the biggest play of the game. How no one thought to call a TO, I'll never know. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, StealthEagle84 said:

I was screaming for us to call a timeout just for they snapped the ball on the game winning play.  We were in disarray and needed to regroup.  One tackle inbounds and the game was over.

Perhaps Seth needs a copy

9781606793497: The Complete Handbook of Clock Management (Rev. 2016) -  Homer Smith; Steve Axman: 1606793497 - AbeBooks

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Like, it wasn't completely unreasonable to play the defense straight up. Texada had good coverage, played it well. He was beat. I have no problem with that -- that's football. 

That was going to be UTSA's play no matter what. 6'3" with a great vertical against a 5'10" DB. A timeout just gives UTSA 3 maybe 4 plays because there was 23 seconds on the snap.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

We went into detail on the timeout thing on the pod. There's a school of thought that it is the right thing to do. But I don't hate playing it straight. Its a risk either way -- we either give them time to set up their offense and pick a play -- or play it straight (our defense had played that drive well) Harris had thrown long twice on middle, sideline tosses (I'm ignoring the swing pass on third) and there was reason to believe he was going to miss.  

Like, it wasn't completely unreasonable to play the defense straight up. Texada had good coverage, played it well. He was beat. I have no problem with that -- that's football. 

Fair enough. Defense just looked exhausted out there as they reasonably should be. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Likely going to get lit up for this but I like the no-call there. I feel like it wasn't egregious enough to warrant a flag in that situation. IMO, end of game moments like that should be left up to the players to decide UNLESS there's a tremendous amount of contact. Here, they're both battling for positioning. Harris throws it closer to the sideline and away from Texada so he can't make a play on it. The WR pulls away from Texada and breaks towards the sideline a bit more which is the main cause of separation, in my opinion. Again, I don't like seeing a bunch of flags thrown late on ticky tacky calls. Not on that amount of contact.

I see your point. I could have seen it called, but the no call made sense to me, too. It was a push and not a shove.  Especially at that moment, let the players decide the outcome, not the refs. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Fair enough. Defense just looked exhausted out there as they reasonably should be. 

Agree. Again for me, so did the offense. They sprinted 40 yards. We call time out and they get to catch their breath maybe. 

The key play was the catch v cover 2 over the middle. That flipped the advantage. NT had them desperate, where they needed a miracle. They got it. 

Then they had the advantage and NT didn’t get the miracle. For a given drive? That’s just football. Reminds me of the Alabama/Geogia game. Sometimes a guy makes a play. 

This, of course, is why you want to make sure it’s not a one score game and a great drive can lose it. 

• Upvote 6