UTSA is quietly building one of the country's strongest Group of Five classes.

Mogambo

When you take a look at UTSA's recruiting ranking at this point in the cycle, its No. 82 position may not jump out ? nor do its 13 commits ? but in looking at who makes up the class at this point, you can't help but be excited for what Jeff Traylor and company are putting together.

The Roadrunners added a commitment this week from New Orleans Warren Easton defensive tackle
Jameian Buxton, a prospect who blew up early on in his recruitment and quieted down ahead of his senior season. However, it's these kinds of players that have made UTSA so special during Traylor's short tenure in the Alamo City. The class also features extremely talented skill position players such as Brandon High, Jamel Hardy and Devin McCuin, with quarterback Jackson Gilkey being the face of that group after his recent pledge. Not to mention, David Amador is currently leading the state's No. 1 6A program at Galena Park (Texas) North Shore as its quarterback after an injury to the starter. The talent on both sides of the ball is plentiful for UTSA in the 2023 class, and it only appears as though that talent will grow in the coming months ahead when these recruits put pen to paper.

LINK

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Again, Jeff Traylor knows a ton of HS Coaches. He is selling them on a young program that is not carrying decades of suckitude and apathy to these recruits. I remember when we hired Todd Dodge, the two HS head coaches I knew both said that Dodge was gonna find out that he had a much easier job at SLC, with better facilities and support than UNT wouid give him. I thought they were being jealous and petty. Then Dodge tirelessly reminded everyone that he was promised a new stadium when they hired him, thankfully, as these coaches' opinions on UNT came true.

Traylor will eventually get hired away, probably as soon as this off season. But I also think that a new coach there SHOULD be able to recruit there fairly easily. That job has major advantages in the G5 that just don't exist at many other places. Like UCF, USF, or SDSU, you are recruiting to major cities with no other schools immediately in your market. Add in no losing history or apathy to fight against when recruiting, it all is a ton easier to recruit and succeed in that environment with the right coach than at many other G5 schools.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Pellom said:

Their average rating on 247 is 84.42. Ours is 83.69. 

doesn’t seem like they’re exactly working miracles, they’ve just taken more commits. 

You do know they were ranked in the Top 25 last year. I think over rated but still. 

On 10/24/2022 at 9:16 PM, KingDL1 said:

The difference is building to win vs building to be mediocre. 

To the person that rolled there eyes at this comment.  What kind of building would you call giving a coach with no conference championship or bowl wins 2 contract extensions?  What kind of building is letting a 6 year tenured coach come back to start a season that could likely be his 4th consecutive losing season?  How would you interpret these actions?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 10/24/2022 at 9:58 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

They are recruiting to be in an AAC that has an SMU in it as an opponent—that’s exactly what they’re doing.  Hope we are too.

B10C734C-36B8-4796-86FA-4FC3B6935347.jpeg.8c60c5fc6c4917837b5b36569c0ee547.jpeg

With a lame duck coach  a lot of that recruiting effort will be wasted if Seth and most of the staff are gone come December.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

I'll have to ask around, but I don't get the feeling UTSA is doing anything really special other than maybe talking up some kids that playing time is to be had and we are winning football games. Now, that isn't a bad thing, if anyone thinks I'm saying that it is. I just think it is a little overblown or pumped up, if you will, to say one of the best.

Lemonade out of lemons is far more appropriate. CJT is very likeable. The operations guys is super likeable. That helps a lot.   

Plain and simple, winning cures all *IF* an athletics department and fundraising can strike while the iron is hot. Boise St never really did, look at them now. Their facilities are "meh" for an OG BCS busting program. 3 Fiesta Bowls in 8 seasons. 25Kish students every year. Asking for financial ssupport is super duper important AND reaching out to those who do dig as deep as they can saying "thanks" once a quarter is icing on the cake.  

• Upvote 1