Perspective on how bad we lost to UTSA

KingDL1

19 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

We were dominated by a crappy shopping center college in almost every statistic, but dumb luck, dumb luck was with us yesterday. We were beat by a bunch of second-stringers and players playing out of position. 

UTSA has yet to have their bye week after playing a much tougher schedule and playing it well.  They have only lost to top 25 teams this year. Houston they took to overtime, and they played Texas well. These grounded birds also played Army and won. Oh, wait, we can’t play Army anymore because Littrell is afraid of them. So we played a beat-up team, had dumb luck on our side, and were dominated horribly, where the score does not reflect how badly we lost. A healthy UTSA team would have kicked our teeth down our throats.

S

Aune should have been picked at least two more times and could have easily had walked out of the Alamo Dome with 5 picks. I would have be furious with that run clock snafu at the end of the half, the dropped ball by 28 when he was hit between the numbers. Also the 15 yard penalty for flipping the football to the ref.  Dumb luck fell our way in this game, they should have put many more points on us. Again a healthy UTSA would have killed us. 

As we say in Texas........yep!

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

We were dominated by a crappy shopping center college in almost every statistic, but dumb luck, dumb luck was with us yesterday. We were beat by a bunch of second-stringers and players playing out of position. 

UTSA has yet to have their bye week after playing a much tougher schedule and playing it well.  They have only lost to top 25 teams this year. Houston they took to overtime, and they played Texas well. These grounded birds also played Army and won. Oh, wait, we can’t play Army anymore because Littrell is afraid of them. So we played a beat-up team, had dumb luck on our side, and were dominated horribly, where the score does not reflect how badly we lost. A healthy UTSA team would have kicked our teeth down our throats.

Sat, Sep 3           vs 24 Houston                 L37-35 3OT                      0-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sep 10         @ Army                            W41-38 OT                      1-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sep 17         @ 21 Texas                      L41-20                              1-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sep 24         vs Texas Southern           W52-24                             2-2 (0-0)

Fri, Sep 30          @ Middle Tennessee     W45-30                             3-2 (1-0)

Sat, Oct 8            vs Western Kentucky      W31-28                             4-2 (2-0)

Fri, Oct 14          @ Florida International    W30-10                             5-2 (3-0)

Sat, Oct 22         vs North Texas                W31-27                             6-2 (4-0)

Our toughest opponent this year was SMU! People were running around crying that SMU would go undefeated and was nearly a pro team. I agree that SMU could have hung another 40 points on us. But I think a healthy UTSA would have beat the shit out of SMU. That mighty SMU team is now 3-4 with only two FBS wins, North Texas, and a 2-5 Navy.

Our schedule should have been a cakewalk compared with San Antonio. But we couldn’t beat a good team yet.

Sat, Aug 27         @ UTEP                             W31-13               1-0 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 3           vs SMU                              L48-10                1-1 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 10         vs Texas Southern           W59-27               2-1 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 17         @ UNLV                            L58-27                2-2 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 24         @ Memphis                     L44-34                2-3 (1-0)

Sat, Oct 1            vs Florida Atlantic           W45-28               3-3 (2-0)

Bye Week                                       

Sat, Oct 15         vs Louisiana Tech            W47-27               4-3 (3-0)

Sat, Oct 22         @ UTSA                            L31-27                4-4 (3-1)

The score of the game reflected more of the dumb luck than the statistics of the game. 

#    North Texas  - -- - Dirty Birds
1st Downs....13........... 32
Total Yards...347.........495
Passing........325........238
Rushing........22..........257
Possession...21:40.....38:20

Aune should have been picked at least two more times and could have easily had walked out of the Alamo Dome with 5 picks. I would have be furious with that run clock snafu at the end of the half, the dropped ball by 28 when he was hit between the numbers. Also the 15 yard penalty for flipping the football to the ref.  Dumb luck fell our way in this game, they should have put many more points on us. Again a healthy UTSA would have killed us. 

I’m more Littrell Out than ever after that game. A good team with injuries across the board and a 7th year head coach couldn’t beat them. At what point are we no longer satisfied with almost?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GRN-WHT said:

The UNLV and Memphis losses look worse by the week as well. 

Dickey could have only dreamed of a schedule as easy as this one. 

And Charlotte has the courage to fire Will Healy because they want to compete in the American and they are not willing to hem and haw about what to do and when to do it.

Wren keeps saying that he owes it to Littrell to give him the entire season yet tons of other programs see differently.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

And Charlotte has the courage to fire Will Healy because they want to compete in the American and they are not willing to hem and haw about what to do and when to do it.

Wren keeps saying that he owes it to Littrell to give him the entire season yet tons of other programs see differently.

Wren is paid handsomely to do what he is told to do. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Does he?  He sure seems silent in all of this. The only response I have heard from him in a long time is the post game survey after the SMU mess and I have yet to receive my tickets for filling out the survey. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Sat, Sep 3           vs 24 Houston                 L37-35 3OT                      0-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sep 10         @ Army                            W41-38 OT                      1-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sep 17         @ 21 Texas                      L41-20                              1-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sep 24         vs Texas Southern           W52-24                             2-2 (0-0)

Fri, Sep 30          @ Middle Tennessee     W45-30                             3-2 (1-0)

Sat, Oct 8            vs Western Kentucky      W31-28                             4-2 (2-0)

Fri, Oct 14          @ Florida International    W30-10                             5-2 (3-0)

Sat, Oct 22         vs North Texas                W31-27                             6-2 (4-0)

Our toughest opponent this year was SMU! People were running around crying that SMU would go undefeated and was nearly a pro team. I agree that SMU could have hung another 40 points on us. But I think a healthy UTSA would have beat the shit out of SMU. That mighty SMU team is now 3-4 with only two FBS wins, North Texas, and a 2-5 Navy.

Our schedule should have been a cakewalk compared with San Antonio. But we couldn’t beat a good team yet.

Sat, Aug 27         @ UTEP                             W31-13               1-0 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 3           vs SMU                              L48-10                1-1 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 10         vs Texas Southern           W59-27               2-1 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 17         @ UNLV                            L58-27                2-2 (1-0)

Sat, Sep 24         @ Memphis                     L44-34                2-3 (1-0)

Sat, Oct 1            vs Florida Atlantic           W45-28               3-3 (2-0)

Bye Week                                       

Sat, Oct 15         vs Louisiana Tech            W47-27               4-3 (3-0)

Sat, Oct 22         @ UTSA                            L31-27                4-4 (3-1)

The score of the game reflected more of the dumb luck than the statistics of the game. 

#    North Texas  - -- - Dirty Birds
1st Downs....13........... 32
Total Yards...347.........495
Passing........325........238
Rushing........22..........257
Possession...21:40.....38:20

NT lost in a very close hard fought game.  Stats mean little if there is not points to go along with them. 

Again I give UTSA lots of credit for a great game plan and the execution to make it work.

However, this is a game that NT should have won, not a game that they were dominated in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I promise you, if we also get blown out by FIU, Littrell will be fired. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Excellent insight.
Also people don’t understand Littrell was not qualified to be a head coach. He was a OC at a P5 who’s success there can be attributed to the advantages of his surroundings than anything he did. 
He has had 7+ years of on the job training at an enormous cost and still has no Conference Title or bowl victories. 

It’s time for change. 

🤦🏾‍♂️ I called this out earlier.  But alas you always have defenders on every half ass attempt this program has .  Currently on Wikipedia AND meangreen.com  he is not even titled 2014-2015 North Carolina's Co-Offensive Coordinator.  He was "Assistant Head Coach and Tight Ends Coach".   Seems his agent and him play the good ole boy schmoozing, and hype game perfectly.  Reminiscent of Jeff Fisher.  Jeff Fisher a guy that stuck around in the NFL almost 10 years more than he deserved too.  A mediocre coach with no special X & O contributions but a decent motivator.   Before North Carolina he was Co-Offensive Coordinator for 2 losing seasons at Indiana.  Mind you the offenses put up good numbers against mediocre teams but poorly against the better teams in the Big 10.  Also it is key to note they averaged 50 points a game through the first 3 games against D1 athletically load Indiana State, Navy and Bowling Green.  And at North Carolina if he was so essential to the offensive production why not give him a raise and title of OC and AHC instead of letting him go to UNT?  It would be interesting to calculate his Indiana's team offensive ranking minus those athletically overmatched teams. I can't believe he got the second extension here.  I see nothing in his bio to makes me think he was some near can't miss head coach prospect.  And getting 2nd extension with 0 post season wins is ridiculous and infuriating.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

I know the advanced stats say we got dominated, but it never felt that way IMO. Probably because we had the lead the vast majority of the game. 

I was sitting in the stadium, so I completely agree. People who were listening to the broadcast would share, "North texas only has xx yards" and none of us believed it. Responses were "what? really?!?!?" or along those lines. It was one of those games where both defenses really took away the best offensive stat of each team. I know UNT was 50/50 coming into the game, but that pass game comes off of the run first approach. UTSA is clearly pass first. 

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I know the advanced stats say we got dominated, but it never felt that way IMO. Probably because we had the lead the vast majority of the game. 

It honestly felt like Aune could just throw the ball up in the air anywhere and there would be a receiver there that may or may not catch it.  Funny thing is in the end, our defenders couldnt catch it either.  Maybe there was too much mustard on those passes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

I was sitting in the stadium, so I completely agree. People who were listening to the broadcast would share, "North texas only has xx yards" and none of us believed it. Responses were "what? really?!?!?" or along those lines. It was one of those games where both defenses really took away the best offensive stat of each team. I know UNT was 50/50 coming into the game, but that pass game comes off of the run first approach. UTSA is clearly pass first. 

Our offense either went 3 and out or 75 yards in 5 plays for a TD. There was no in-between. Meanwhile, UTSA was picking up yardage every series, even if it ended with a punt. I think that's what skewed the advanced stats. 

UTSA took the right approach in forcing us to pass to setup the run. It seemed like our game plan had this in mind, but Aune couldn't execute until the 4th quarter. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

🤦🏾‍♂️ I called this out earlier.  But alas you always have defenders on every half ass attempt this program has .  Currently on Wikipedia AND meangreen.com  he is not even titled 2014-2015 North Carolina's Co-Offensive Coordinator.  He was "Assistant Head Coach and Tight Ends Coach".   Seems his agent and him play the good ole boy schmoozing, and hype game perfectly.  Reminiscent of Jeff Fisher.  Jeff Fisher a guy that stuck around in the NFL almost 10 years more than he deserved too.  A mediocre coach with no special X & O contributions but a decent motivator.   Before North Carolina he was Co-Offensive Coordinator for 2 losing seasons at Indiana.  Mind you the offenses put up good numbers against mediocre teams but poorly against the better teams in the Big 10.  Also it is key to note they averaged 50 points a game through the first 3 games against D1 athletically load Indiana State, Navy and Bowling Green.  And at North Carolina if he was so essential to the offensive production why not give him a raise and title of OC and AHC instead of letting him go to UNT?  It would be interesting to calculate his Indiana's team offensive ranking minus those athletically overmatched teams. I can't believe he got the second extension here.  I see nothing in his bio to makes me think he was some near can't miss head coach prospect.  And getting 2nd extension with 0 post season wins is ridiculous and infuriating.

You know, I really think deep down even Littrell knows he’s not qualified to be a head coach even after being in that position for the past 7+ years. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1