DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to UTSA

Brett Vito

18 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Vito’s refusal to acknowledge Aune’s shortcomings is reporting negligence. Does he not understand a big reason our running game was shutdown is because UTSA doesn’t respect Aune’s passing ability? If the QBs switched teams yesterday we would have won by 30. 

Dude I wish you were being an emotional hyperbolic fan right now.  But this was shocking:

"Aune missed on a few throws but continued to stack up yards." 😳🤨

The underline part is as close to a blatant lie from a reputable old school sport journalist I have seen.  Most people people understand math would describe less than 50% (16 incompletions) as more than a few.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Dude I wish you were being an emotional hyperbolic fan right now.  But this was shocking:

"Aune missed on a few throws but continued to stack up yards." 😳🤨

The underline part is as close to a blatant lie from a reputable old school sport journalist I have seen.  Most people people understand math would describe less than 50% (16 incompletions) as more than a few.

Was every incompletion a missed throw, or were some dropped?  Some of the drops could have been better throws (I guess you could consider those misses?).  I’m not going to go back to watch every incompletion, but I can remember a couple of drops…and a couple of awful misses.  The criticism is definitely subtle..probably more subtle than a few posters would like. I think it’s fine. We saw the game. We also know where some improvements can be made. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

At least he added a qualifier in his statement regarding the rivalry ("...in conference USA").    That changes next season.  Thankfully.   We should have a HC at the helm who can win games against winning teams, so it will be nice to have the "rivalry" with SMU.

We can have good rivalries with both. SMU give us a rivalry with a local"rich" school, and UTSA is a natural as we continue to play. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We can have good rivalries with both. SMU give us a rivalry with a local"rich" school, and UTSA is a natural as we continue to play. 

UTSA is quickly rising to the ranks of “I really hope we humble them.”  Their student section was flipping off Gumms after he scored. Just awful behavior. Hope our fans have the same fire, but classier.  I’d like to see us play them again this year AND beat them. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

UTSA is quickly rising to the ranks of “I really hope we humble them.”  Their student section was flipping off Gumms after he scored. Just awful behavior. Hope our fans have the same fire, but classier.  I’d like to see us play them again this year AND beat them. 

Thank you for sharing this. I'm too far from the student section to see it. I always assume it is UTSA "birds up", but not the middle bird. Some of our fans boo the other teams as they enter and leave the stadium. Why would anyone boo college kids, without provocation, is beyond me. I simply ignore the other team.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

In a game that close, a below 50% completion rating is the difference between a win and a loss. I saw somewhere that UTSA had well over double the time of possession. If Aune is even marginally better at passing and we get a few more completions, that is extended drives, more time eating clock, and less time for UTSA’s last game winning drive. Of course, his receivers dropping passes had a lot to do with it, but he isn’t absolved just because he went for 325 and 3 TDs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

This CANNOT be the reason we'd consider someone a "rival".   But around here (gmg.com) it's precisely why.  Back in 2013, they had a bunch of morons come on here and just piss on the antpile.

This is what I call BAIT.    Don't take it.   Unfortunately, a bunch of people took it hook, line, & sinker.

• Eye Roll 1

22 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Vito’s refusal to acknowledge Aune’s shortcomings is reporting negligence. Does he not understand a big reason our running game was shutdown is because UTSA doesn’t respect Aune’s passing ability? If the QBs switched teams yesterday we would have won by 30. 

Get an Andy Blount in here and we win that game, too.  Too many dropped passes over the middle.  Were they covered?  Yes...but you have to be able to come down with a ball that hits you in the hands.

• Oh Boy! 1

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This CANNOT be the reason we'd consider someone a "rival".   But around here (gmg.com) it's precisely why.  Back in 2013, they had a bunch of morons come on here and just piss on the antpile.

This is what I call BAIT.    Don't take it.   Unfortunately, a bunch of people took it hook, line, & sinker.

I agree it shouldn’t be the only reason.  It’s just part of the reason for me.  It makes it fun, but there should be a line. Adults are just as guilty of inappropriate behavior.  Hoping we get a chance to play again. 

56 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

Thank you for sharing this. I'm too far from the student section to see it. I always assume it is UTSA "birds up", but not the middle bird. Some of our fans boo the other teams as they enter and leave the stadium. Why would anyone boo college kids, without provocation, is beyond me. I simply ignore the other team.

You’re good.  I assume our student section also returns the favor to our opponents. It’s part of the game, I guess.  Hope we meet again and are able to give you guys the big L!  . 😂GMG!

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

Neary every UTSA fan I've encountered online is a complete asshole. 

@LitMedallion and a couple others seem to be the exception, not the rule.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, Glory to the Green said:

Was every incompletion a missed throw, or were some dropped?  Some of the drops could have been better throws (I guess you could consider those misses?).  I’m not going to go back to watch every incompletion, but I can remember a couple of drops…and a couple of awful misses.  The criticism is definitely subtle..probably more subtle than a few posters would like. I think it’s fine. We saw the game. We also know where some improvements can be made. 

I think people put too much emphasis on a single stat.  You can win or lose games in a variety of ways.  Aune engineered a 4th-quarter, 5 play, 67 yard drive in 50 seconds to take the lead with 1:38 seconds in the game and it came down to a 4th-down conversion, a highlight-reel one-handed catch and then a questionable OPI play in the corner of the end zone to steal the win.  I don't care if the QB goes 1-4 for 6 yards, if we win.  Likewise, I couldn't care less if the QB goes 48 for 52 and 450+ yards but we lose.

To the point above, in games there are always going to be drops, passes thrown away to avoid a sack (a good thing) or passes made on the run or under pressure that miss the mark.  Looking at a stat sheet, by itself, is irrelevant.   

We had the lead late in the game and could not hold on.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On 10/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, Glory to the Green said:

🙄 let’s just say there were 8 blatant drops or judicious throw aways passes to prevent a bigger negative play.  That would mean there were 8 bad miss and that isn’t even accounting of the interception.  So of the eight he straight up 3 of them should have been intercepted (1 was) and the other 5 were ridiculously off target.  That was a garbage performance that many high school senior quarterbacks, (probably 6 in Dallas, Denton, and Tarrant County) given 3 weeks practice with this team could duplicate or exceed.  And we are talking about professional legitimately paid as an athlete by the Yankees, almost 30, with 3 years in this system.  We are not talking about a true freshman at program transitioning from an old school pro-style I-formation system or triple option.   He was a HUGE part of the reason they lost.  This guy is inaccurate and that shows in his career stats.  And his completion percentage for this game was one second worse this year.   People who didn’t watch the game are in his reading audience also.  And it gives a false impression as to how he played.  Reading that line doesn’t communicate that.  An inaccurate QB was more inaccurate than usual  missed a few passes.  That is beyond just being nicely subtle.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1