Do We Win This Game If…

BillySee58

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Aune had received more garbage time reps in 2019 behind Fine?

Playing the hypothetical, yes we do. Hypothetically, during that garbage time coaches got a good look and understood his capabilities and put greater effort into recruiting another quarterback. When they found that quarterback and they brought a quarterback coach (who happened to be his dad) and he helped develop the new quarterback and we beat both Memphis and UTSA this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

Zero Impact - Aune is at the top of his game - this is good as it gets - We were told that his comp % rate was up near 70% in the spring but that appears to be propaganda - his numbers are no better than last year. 
Apparently this condition is compounded by a coaching staff that has added 4-5 more QB’s, that are no better ? Not saying there are no better QB’s available but SL has said a 100 times we will play the player that gives us the best chance to win! JMO 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Playing the hypothetical, yes we do. Hypothetically, during that garbage time coaches got a good look and understood his capabilities and put greater effort into recruiting another quarterback. When they found that quarterback and they brought a quarterback coach (who happened to be his dad) and he helped develop the new quarterback and we beat both Memphis and UTSA this year.

And what about Bean who is starting at Kansas? He got the lion’s share of garbage time back then. He wasn’t good enough to start here but is at Kansas? Come on man. You know full well a few more handoffs in 2019 would have had zero, ZERO, effect on this season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7

Aune is every bit as spare as McNulty was…ironically, when SL took over here, the guys who couldn’t beat McNulty out for the job were ALL run off and we brought in a backup QB from Bama and found some kid in Oklahoma that was a 2A all state QB, named Mason Fine that nobody wanted. If we are really, really lucky, this exact scenario will play out again in this next offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

Every once in a while Aune throws an absolutely great ball.  Both the sideline wheel routes yesterday are examples…one to Burns and the other to Gummes.  The rest of the time he’s either late, under throwing or forcing into coverage.  Need someone smarter than me to break it down, but it seems like this offense designs in one place to go with the ball.  If we get off schedule, in the slightest, we have a hard time making up for it.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Every once in a while Aune throws an absolutely great ball.  Both the sideline wheel routes yesterday are examples…one to Burns and the other to Gummes.  The rest of the time he’s either late, under throwing or forcing into coverage.  Need someone smarter than me to break it down, but it seems like this offense designs in one place to go with the ball.  If we get off schedule, in the slightest, we have a hard time making up for it.

Aune is great throwing deep. That is why they like him. He does a good job doing RPO stuff, but he has the yips where he will air mail a pass over the middle, and bounce it in other cases. My thoughts are that it is technique. Like, he is not setting his feet and trusting his mechanics in pressure situations. That's just me though. I'm not a QB coach. 

• Upvote 3

I agree with the statement that putting a QB out there in "garbage time" just to hand the ball off is pretty useless.... experience wise, and assessment wise. No one is going after him and so you don't get to see how he conducts himself when it really counts. Such as when he gets thrown to the ground whilst throwing (or trying to throw) a pass. 

Frank Harris is a great example of what I am talking about. Earlier in the game he was called for intentional grounding. He almost got away with it. And while some might see it as someone who flaunts the rules, I saw it as a person who NEVER GIVES UP! ....NEVER!  So when we scored our last TD and he got the ball back with something like 1:30 on the clock with no time outs, he turned into Kahn from the movie "The Wrath of Kahn"......

...only we didn't have a "Spock" on our team yesterday to thwart him. AND WHY NOT? If anyone on that team should have had a "spy" assigned to them (especially on that last drive), it was Frank Harris. I couldn't believe it when he got loose on that long run. That kind of thing is pure Frank Harris, and someone should have been right in his face at the line of scrimmage when he took off and ran.

I don't know how many times I've seen people post highlight videos of QB's throwing one long pass after another. And everyone (except me) gets really excited and wishes NT would go after him. My response is almost always the same......"who the hell are those receivers?"

Show me highlight videos of QB's who are pulling a comeback drive against a worthy opponent (usually a district championship game or playoff game), and they use everything they've got, and they take every hit the other team can dish out to get the touchdown......you know, kind of like Frank Harris.

We haven't had that kind of tenacity and toughness since Scott Hall and to a great extent Mason Fine. I've told this story many times, so keep the eye rolling to a minimum. I'll never forget the game against LaLa (It might have been a homecoming game) and it was a real slug fest. Scott Hall was doing everything he could to move the ball, which included taking multiple hits when he took off and ran the ball. More than once he limped off the field and was taped up. I have joked many times that by the end of the game he was almost totally taped up from the waist down. But he kept going back out there and slugging it out with the defense. And so did his teammates. That kind of toughness and leadership ability inspires your team to take it to another level.....kind of like UTSA did yesterday.

You can't coach that. You just have to be able to assess it in a QB before you sign him, and then be able to smooth off his rough edges after he shows up for practice.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I agree with the statement that putting a QB out there in "garbage time" just to hand the ball off is pretty useless.... experience wise, and assessment wise. No one is going after him and so you don't get to see how he conducts himself when it really counts. Such as when he gets thrown to the ground whilst throwing (or trying to throw) a pass. 

Frank Harris is a great example of what I am talking about. Earlier in the game he was called for intentional grounding. He almost got away with it. And while some might see it as someone who flaunts the rules, I saw it as a person who NEVER GIVES UP! ....NEVER!  So when we scored our last TD and he got the ball back with something like 1:30 on the clock with no time outs, he turned into Kahn from the movie "The Wrath of Kahn"......

...only we didn't have a "Spock" on our team yesterday to thwart him. AND WHY NOT? If anyone on that team should have had a "spy" assigned to them (especially on that last drive), it was Frank Harris. I couldn't believe it when he got loose on that long run. That kind of thing is pure Frank Harris, and someone should have been right in his face at the line of scrimmage when he took off and ran.

I don't know how many times I've seen people post highlight videos of QB's throwing one long pass after another. And everyone (except me) gets really excited and wishes NT would go after him. My response is almost always the same......"who the hell are those receivers?"

Show me highlight videos of QB's who are pulling a comeback drive against a worthy opponent (usually a district championship game or playoff game), and they use everything they've got, and they take every hit the other team can dish out to get the touchdown......you know, kind of like Frank Harris.

We haven't had that kind of tenacity and toughness since Scott Hall and to a great extent Mason Fine. I've told this story many times, so keep the eye rolling to a minimum. I'll never forget the game against LaLa (It might have been a homecoming game) and it was a real slug fest. Scott Hall was doing everything he could to move the ball, which included taking multiple hits when he took off and ran the ball. More than once he limped off the field and was taped up. I have joked many times that by the end of the game he was almost totally taped up from the waist down. But he kept going back out there and slugging it out with the defense. And so did his teammates. That kind of toughness and leadership ability inspires your team to take it to another level.....kind of like UTSA did yesterday.

You can't coach that. You just have to be able to assess it in a QB before you sign him, and then be able to smooth off his rough edges after he shows up for practice.

I totally agree with this take…but Frank Harris didn’t finish the first half against us last year.  That toughness has a limit with him.  So he doesn’t measure up to either Hall or Fine, but certainly was the better QB yesterday.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I totally agree with this take…but Frank Harris didn’t finish the first half against us last year.  That toughness has a limit with him.  So he doesn’t measure up to either Hall or Fine, but certainly was the better QB yesterday.

It wasn't Frank's decision last year. We were getting to him more and more and by the middle of the second half there was an excellent chance he would have been beaten up and injured. The Coach did the right thing. But I feel very confident that if it were left up to Mr. Harris he would have taken us on in the second half......until he was dragged off the field.

• Upvote 1