Aune better not see the field again this season

peanuts104

20 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why do you all always blame Aune for the worlds problems?  How about our DC that let them drive the entire length of the field with no time outs?  I’m sick of all the Bennett apologists on here.  Dude has sucked all season.

Both can be true. 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why do you all always blame Aune for the worlds problems?  How about our DC that let them drive the entire length of the field with no time outs?  I’m sick of all the Bennett apologists on here.  Dude has sucked all season.

I had a thread entitled Aune Brightside like 2 or 3 weeks ago. The defense played their asses off today and it was schemed really well, especially for how mobile Harris is (which our defense against a mobile QB has also been one my my past criticisms). We lost this game because we couldn't stay on the field on offense and more importantly, couldn't capitalize on excellent field position and open receivers, and that falls on Aune.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Udomann said:

There's no reason to play Aune. All we have left to play for is a bargain bin bowl.

I'd rather develop a young player who will be here next year and not collecting social security

You are assuming that one conference loss to the overwhelming favorite team by 4 points at their stadium and NT has nothing to play for?

Strange read, to say the least.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I would be done critiquing Aune if he didn't have so many apologist on this board.  If you compare him to QB who taken as many snaps as he has at the FBS level he is one the worst in the country.  Minus quarterbacks running old school triple option who pass the ball less than 15 times a game he might be the worst.   But I can only confirm that he is below 100th in completion percentage only because the stats I found so far stop at 100.  But we are haggling over the amount of blame.  No loss is 100% on one player but being handicapped at the QB position makes winning very hard. 

357CE3B3-D7AC-454F-9098-E0992FB6E6D8.png

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You are assuming that one conference loss to the overwhelming favorite team by 4 points at their stadium and NT has nothing to play for?

Strange read, to say the least.

You don't need the QB play to be perfect to hand the ball off, you just need a QB that can read the defense and not make critical mistakes.

• Upvote 1

I’m not an Aune apologist, but we are far from the only team with QB problems.  atm and OU come immediately to mind and they get 5 star guys every year.  

Not being able to take advantage of UTSA stacking the box was obvious.  But Aune also led up to TD’s to answer UTSA taking the lead twice in the 4th quarter.  He shoulders a lot of blame for the loss, but give him a little credit as well.

As a few others have stated, we can still win the conference.  The leader and preseason favorite had to have two pretty incredible catches in final 30 seconds to beat us at their place.  There is still a lot to play for this year.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wardly said:

We had 5 yards rushing the entire first half, another 10 the 3rd Qtr. No way you can lay this at Aune's feet.

Are you stupid or something boy?  This is exactly what Seth said they’d do…load up on the run and make a crappy QB try and beat you with his 47% completion percentage!  Aune played like total dog dookie in the first half…otherwise it woulda been 14-3 at half and we’d have won.  Football is 60:00…boy one or two drives at the end.  It all matters!  Aune is trash, Seth is trash, and Phil is trash.  Time for a clean house!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Are you stupid or something boy?  This is exactly what Seth said they’d do…load up on the run and make a crappy QB try and beat you with his 47% completion percentage!  Aune played like total dog dookie in the first half…otherwise it woulda been 14-3 at half and we’d have won.  Football is 60:00…boy one or two drives at the end.  It all matters!  Aune is trash, Seth is trash, and Phil is trash.  Time for a clean house!

Well I am 80, so not exactly a boy. I don't think I am stupid, although I do question wasting the time responding to a retard such as yourself. Assuming you can read[ which I don't think is a given ] the game stats tell the story.First downs 12 to 31,rushing 22 yards to 257, passing 325 yards [ Aune threw 3 td's] to 238 [ Harris threw 2 td's ] , and the most telling stat , time of possession ,21.27 minutes to 38.20. Our defense was on the field too long and finely ran out of gas and if you can't run the ball their defense plays for a pass. See, it's not to hard to determine why UTSA won, boy.

8 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

They held Utsa to 3 points at half. They gave the ball to the offense with a 3 point lead with 6 mins left. Aune and the offense go 3 and out with two in completions. 

This.  A championship team puts the game away on that 4th quarter drive with 6 to go.  Either way, The game should have been a repeat of last year.  We are up 14 or more with a competent passing game in that first half.  The game should not have been close…but we have a QB who delivers late and receivers who have critical drops.

I think you start Aune next week, mixing in Earle again.  If we win, keep rolling, but if we lose we are out of the conference race and should look at the backups more.  Maybe you have to keep him starting in order to not lose the team, but give some series to others?

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Littrell needs to search his heart and decide if there is a quarterback on this roster that opposing defenses must respect. If there is, make the change. If not, our running game will never be the same now that this tape is out there.

The odds of Littrell changing QB's at this point are almost non-existent.  

Aune's inconsistency is maddening, but I highly doubt Littrell will replace him.  He actually had one of his better games against probably the best team in the league.    

I also doubt that even with the UTSA defensive script available,  there is another team in CUSA that can executive close to the level of the roadrunners.  They will try, but UTSA had the element of surprise that other teams will not.  Other teams have similarly stacked the box, but the offensive line could still open up holes.  

The WKU game now is a must win, if NT has any change of a good season.  A loss and NT will again be basically a .500 team going to a lower tier bowl.   

13 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

What makes it all the more infuriating is that they will be cleaning the house WAY TOO LATE.   In the scale of time to clean house we are past the point of developing a roach & lice infestation and a month short of being able to have the show Hoarders show up.  A coach with 7 years in with NO post season wins a losing record overallshouldn't be given the opportunity to hit rock bottom at a program that tells its students and fans they are serious about winning.  If TSU had a few more quality athletes that didn't drop on target passes that game would have been a nail biter.  I am starting to think we have a football program to give our great band showcasing opportunities and advertise for our world renowned music school.  This is how you end up with Portland State debacles (Hoarders week 5  episode 2015 🤦🏾‍♂️) .

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

OK, but how does that apply to the post?

My point is if we're going to lean heavy on the run game, get the next QB that is going to start for us in there, get them experience while we have the four headed monster. If Aune can't complete at least 50% of his passes we have to move on and get someone that is more consistent at the position. His inconsistency lost us the game. Quite literally a matter of completing 3 or 4 more passes or seeing 15 yards of running room in front of you and getting the first down with your legs.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Aune's inconsistency is maddening, but I highly doubt Littrell will replace him.  He actually had one of his better games against probably the best team in the league.    

Better game?  Then that encapsules why Seth should already be gone and also why Aune should be on the bench.  Seth is an offensive  coach, who appears to not be able to coach quarterbacks and not scheme offense when the athletes of the opposing defense has athletes that are equal to his on offense.   Aune is 10th out of 11th in CUSA.   And his completion percentage was lower than his putrid career average this past game.  Better game?....?   Then his worse are actually unwatchable cause I haven't seen him play much worse and I think I have seen every game of his.  🤣

453C1C46-8B77-4FAF-AB18-6378070B5FFE.jpeg

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I must have seen a different game. I saw a quarterback that passed for ALL of the touchdowns the team scored, 325 yards, and an amazing 21.6 yards per catch! And, this quarterback gave a lead to the defense with under 2 minutes to go and UTSA had NO time outs. Aune obviously did NOT lose the game. 

the problem is, Aune lost it not on what he did or didn’t do, it was lost on what he can’t do.  This was a replay of the Ohio bowl game.   They sold out to stop the run knowing Aune might get lucky a few times for a few big plays, but can’t beat them consistently.   Case in point, the first big pass to Shorter - he was 3-4 yards behind the DB.  Should have been a TD, but he had to stop and wait for the ball, and we selfless for 3.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

the problem is, Aune lost it not on what he did or didn’t do, it was lost on what he can’t do.  This was a replay of the Ohio bowl game.   They sold out to stop the run knowing Aune might get lucky a few times for a few big plays, but can’t beat them consistently.   Case in point, the first big pass to Shorter - he was 3-4 yards behind the DB.  Should have been a TD, but he had to stop and wait for the ball, and we selfless for 3.

You could see it the first minute in the game where we ran the same play twice after the INT. Shorter was doing some sort of slant or post and cutting left and Aune puts the ball above his helmet TWICE, not in front of him where it should be. Both of those plays, especially the first one where Shorter was wide open, could have been TDs. That's what I mean when I say Aune's ball placement kills us. It was great play calling to do that and do it again and it should have worked both times. 

Maybe Shorter could have come down with it, but I don't think the receivers have any expectation of consistency on where the ball is going to be, they just need to be ready for to be somewhere within 6 feet of them and then they have to make a crazy play to even get it. And it is maddening because we have REALLY good receivers that are HEALTHY. Maclin, Bush, Shorter, and Burns all being wasted with Aune behind center. Credit to Burns, he should make it at the next level. His ability to adjust to Aune's BS is commendable. Reminds me a lot of Darden.

• Upvote 1

Aune’s completion percentage determines the fate of this team. Teams know they should stack the box and dare us to pass. Aune has consistently proven he can’t complete enough passes to sustain drives and make the defensive back off to open up running lanes. Our defense was exhausted at the end of the game because they rarely had any rest. A 2-3 gain burns twice the clock as an incomplete pass but we only ran the ball 21 times and tried to rely on Aune, who never even hit 50%. UTSA had nearly TWICE as many plays as we did. It is no wonder the D had nothing left in the tank to stop Harris from winning that game. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Better game?  Then that encapsules why Seth should already be gone and also why Aune should be on the bench.  Seth is an offensive  coach, who appears to not be able to coach quarterbacks and not scheme offense when the athletes of the opposing defense has athletes that are equal to his on offense.   Aune is 10th out of 11th in CUSA.   And his completion percentage was lower than his putrid career average this past game.  Better game?....?   Then his worse are actually unwatchable cause I haven't seen him play much worse and I think I have seen every game of his.  🤣

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I did not state Aune was a good QB, I stated it was one of his better games.  So I have no idea what season team stats have to do with the comment (it was one of his better games).

• Downvote 1