Should We Still Utilize Redshirts? - 2018 HS Signing Class

BillySee58

The sentiment among many on this board seems to question if redshirting players provides any value to our program still in 2022, in the era of NIL and Transfer Portal (mostly the one-time sit-out free transfer).

Let’s look at the actual evidence we have. The Transfer Portal was created by the NCAA in October 2018, meaning it has been around every season of the college career for the 2018 high school signing class. Those players are now in their 5th season of college football, which signifies the last season of eligibility for players under normal circumstances. Let’s review the class, as it relates to redshirting and the portal.

Did not redshirt:

• KD Davis - On current roster, 5th year senior 

• Alex Morris - Not on current roster, does not appear to have resurfaced elsewhere

Redshirted:

• Jyaire Shorter - On current roster, 5th year redshirt junior

• Austin Ogunmakin - Not on current roster, transferred down to DIII Sul Ross State

• Kason Martin - Not on current roster, transferred down to DII Eastern New Mexico

• Jason Bean - Not on current roster, transferred to P5 Kansas

• Jaxon Gibbs - Not on current roster, transferred to Butler Community College

• Derrick Shaw - Not on current roster, transferred down to DII Central Oklahoma

• Larry Nixon - On current roster, 5th year redshirt junior

• Dayton LeBlanc - On current roster, 5th year redshirt junior

• Jordan Hunt - Not on current roster, does not appear to have resurfaced elsewhere

• Daizion Carroll - On current roster, 5th year redshirt junior

• Keenan Crosby - On current roster, 5th year redshirt junior

• Cole Brown - On current roster, 5th year redshirt junior

• Jordan Redfearn - Not on current roster, retired from football in 2020

Now for the breakdown:

- 7 are still on the roster

- 1 transferred to a P5 (Bean), after losing his job at the end of the season against UTEP

- 4 transferred down to a lower division

- 3 appear to have quit college football altogether

What we are looking at is basically what we have been looking at for the last decade. Of the players who redshirt, a chunk stay, a chunk try and go somewhere else (lower level) for playing time, and a chunk quit football altogether. And yes, some may go P5 but that is absolutely an outlier on the existing outcomes.

But the idea that redshirting just doesn’t provide value for us anymore isn’t based in evidence. Why would we burn every player’s redshirt? Just because ONLY half end up sticking it out all 5 years, or because maybe one of them ends up utilizing that 5th season at a P5? It just doesn’t make sense to let the outliers start driving the decision making process.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

a chunk try and go somewhere else (lower level) for playing time

My observation, this appears true at all levels. Outside of the top elite talent getting 6+ figure NIL deals, it appears players are still transferring "down" for a chance at playing time. This includes P5 to G5 transfers. I think the idea of all the good G5 players fleeing to P5s for big NIL deals is overall overblown. Sure, some will try to leave but most just want to play their last years of the game they love and aren't riding the bench elsewhere for an extra $20k to $30k.

• Upvote 2

If they can contribute then get them on the field,but if we are putting them in for a few plays and they are not contributors, then yes, redshirt them. As far as I know the four-game rule allows them to play in any four games. If you need them to get a little more experience, or need the depth, save them for the end of the season.

• Upvote 2

My take is a little different.  Maybe old-fashioned, but I still see college primarily as (or should be) a 4-year educational process.  The vast majority are *not* going to the NFL.  We should be graduating students in 4 years which allows them to get on with their post-football playing lives and careers.  As a parent, I think that can be a major selling point.  "Mom/Dad, one of our goals is to graduate your son in 4 years with a high-quality education while he is developing leadership skills and competing at the highest level of college athletics.  That is our promise to you."  Yes, I realize some do graduate and spend that 5th year to start graduate studies.  I just feel it is selfish to ask a student athlete to take 5 years when they can finish school in 4 just so the team benefits while they do not necessarily receive the same benefit.   

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Coach_1976 said:

I'll take the view of a parent who has a son redshirting this year, his is due to injury so it was not that he was not good enough to get on the field. But giving kids 5 years to play 4 is a great way to grow a kid in maturity and physically.  My son is only a freshman but the 5 years to play four has already mapped out his Masters degree. So yes he will graduate in four years but with the ability to pay football for 4 years and get his Masters degree. It will help set him up after school and football ( He is a teenager and could screw up , lets hope not). Just my 2 cents from a parents side

I'm glad your son is taking advantage of the opportunity.  It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.  Hope he fully recovers from his injury.  I think this situation is a bit different than what I was referring to.  Given the time value of money, the lifetime economic impact of delaying graduation to play an extra year (or two) of football when a career in the NFL highly unlikely is fairly easy to calculate and is a bad trade-off for the student IMHO.  It's not the option (if they want to and the circumstances warrant) to use 5 years to play 4, it's the routine practice of essentially turning college into a 5-year process for a lot of kids.  Heck, given how nice dorms are, the food options and all the other amenities of college-life these days, it's a wonder anyone wants to leave....hahaha.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, keith said:

My take is a little different.  Maybe old-fashioned, but I still see college primarily as (or should be) a 4-year educational process.  The vast majority are *not* going to the NFL.  We should be graduating students in 4 years which allows them to get on with their post-football playing lives and careers.  As a parent, I think that can be a major selling point.  "Mom/Dad, one of our goals is to graduate your son in 4 years with a high-quality education while he is developing leadership skills and competing at the highest level of college athletics.  That is our promise to you."  Yes, I realize some do graduate and spend that 5th year to start graduate studies.  I just feel it is selfish to ask a student athlete to take 5 years when they can finish school in 4 just so the team benefits while they do not necessarily receive the same benefit.   

It’s more like 4.5 years because they don’t need to come back for spring and I get what you are saying but I disagree. I think you put the best players on the field and if a freshman isn’t ready you flat out don’t put them in. If they are better than your 2nd year and older players on the 2-deep then by all means use them but don’t pigeon hole yourself into forcing kids into a game who aren’t ready yet. The scholarship offer does not entitle you to playing time as a freshman or any other time. You have to earn it. The kids can also forgo their last year of eligibility like Jalen Guyton did. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Not sure I understand why it is a bad thing for a kid to get an extra year in college. Are we so obsessed with salary and consumption that we can’t just we happy a kid gets a free education and a chance to enjoy college life a little while longer? From a practical standpoint, it could be during that “extra” year they mature a little more (making them better prepared for adult life), meet the future spouse, find their true calling, up their game and help the team/ themselves, etc. 

• Upvote 5