When CBSS, ESPN & Game TV cameras are inside Apogee—Which side seems to be almost totally ignored?

PlummMeanGreen

The big cameras on the student side would be disastrous because 95% of our games are when either the sun is setting or going to set in the 2nd half.

CBSSN/ESPNU typically have cameras in the endzone and corners where concessions are, but who cares if people see the press box as much. Get the students, if they show up, as much as possible.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Not a poll—just a question. 

FABC2B0A-2EAF-4BDA-914B-FB8914636ED8.jpeg.7c6dddae04ee6a809f5fe0090186e2b8.jpeg

or—

4F333856-23DA-41CB-92FD-E96D1E5852B9.jpeg.b04926d6f5cd3702d0579dadee7faecc.jpeg

••• I wish UNT athletics would ask the TV networks for more TV camera shots of Apogee’s more impressive side; that is, the press box side. 
Seems like it’s almost totally ignored in most games I’ve DVR’d. 

gmg

Plumm, I think you have a very good point.  One side of our stadium looks much more impressive than the other (especially when one side only has the band and a bunch of empty bleachers).  To the casual TV-watching fan - if there are any for Mean Green football, what they see on their screens is all they know.  If I recall, one of the supposed benefits of Apogee was going to be its TV-quality presentation aspects (lighting, etc. although I'm not sure it is significantly better than Fouts was).  This now seems like a significant design flaw not to build permanent camera facilities situated above the east side of the stadium that would show off the best side of Apogee.  One side looks like a bonafide college football stadium, the other screams high school.  Major swing and a miss from a marketing perspective.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

It just isn’t that simple. 

The camera positions are on the press box side in every stadium in the country. 

It’s the network’s job to cover the game, not to be a PR arm of the university. 

Once again, the problem is bad football. 

WKU took a different approach at their stadium.  They put a press box and cameras on the visitor side and the much larger club level and seats on the home side.  That way, the stadium looks more impressive on camera and better view of the WKU sideline instead of the visitors.   Seems a little wheels off that their logo on the 50 faces the visitor side for the cameras, but it all seems for the cameras.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Except we are leading conference at this time.  No excuse for the sorry turnout last week.

We damn sure better be leading the conference for how much we pay the coach. 

The fact that we’re leading the conference, yet getting blown out by out of conference teams shows just how god awful CUSA is. It’s barely above 6A HSFB. People don’t give a crap about beating CUSA teams. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

People don’t give a crap about beating CUSA teams. 

Wait, so we *don't* want to win a conference championship?  I thought that was the litmus test or is it a bowl game (that no one gives a crap about either) or both.  I'm losing track.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

We damn sure better be leading the conference for how much we pay the coach. 

The fact that we’re leading the conference, yet getting blown out by out of conference teams shows just how god awful CUSA is. It’s barely above 6A HSFB. People don’t give a crap about beating CUSA teams. 

This is exactly the same talk from 2001-2004

2 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

It's the network's job to make more people want to watch its product.

Any live college football broadcast looks more exciting when played before a packed crowd and impressive stadium.

I think it's in the self-interest of the networks and UNT to show Apogee's best side.

1 hour ago, rcade said:

Any live college football broadcast looks more exciting when played before a packed crowd and impressive stadium.

I agree. That’s why the networks have very little interest in our football product. 

Most of our home game broadcasts are produced by the athletic department. Why not take it up with them? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

It just isn’t that simple. 

The camera positions are on the press box side in every stadium in the country. 

Once again, the problem is bad football. 

This

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

I agree. That’s why the networks have very little interest in our football product.

Most of our home game broadcasts are produced by the athletic department. Why not take it up with them? 

The issue is moot. Our games will be broadcast and produced by ESPN in the American. The amateurishness of CUSA broadcasts is not going to be our problem any more.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rcade said:

It's the network's job to make more people want to watch its product.

I think it's in the self-interest of the networks and UNT to show Apogee's best side.

I think it's more about simple logistics for camera location.   The main cameras are weather-protected in the "press"box.  They will usually do tight field shots during the game if the crowd is sparse and you can really only see the crowd on a punt or long pass.  But I have seen a wingzone camera view too for our games that show the extra points and FGs.  I don't recall them panning the home side, but they should if a larger crowd.  Probably a producer's call about shots.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 9:53 PM, NT80 said:

I think it's more about simple logistics for camera location.   The main cameras are weather-protected in the "press"box.  They will usually do tight field shots during the game if the crowd is sparse and you can really only see the crowd on a punt or long pass.  But I have seen a wingzone camera view too for our games that show the extra points and FGs.  I don't recall them panning the home side, but they should if a larger crowd.  Probably a producer's call about shots.

Was just curious to know why one would keep wanting to show empty seats.  You’ve provided some answers.  

The UH game crowd today is embarrassing for we who used to follow Coog football in our youth.    I thought Big 12 membership excitement would create larger crowds, but it hasn’t yet what it will create are some schools coming to H-Town that will bring several thousand fans.  That is something we’ve never had the luxury of having in Denton.  

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen