DRC Sunday column: UNT fans may hate the idea of it, but UTSA is the rival the Mean Green have long needed and now have

Brett Vito

19 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I love having UTSA as a rival.  A great city to go to. Easy travel. Battle of the BIRDS

make it around T-giving a every year. 

We should play SMU T-giving weekend every year!! Best chance to get a decent crowd and it might actually start a tradition

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We should play SMU T-giving weekend every year!! Best chance to get a decent crowd and it might actually start a tradition

It is hard to manufacture a rivalry when only one half wants it. I’ve hated SMU as long as I’ve been following the Mean Green and most of them only care about TCU. The UTSA rivalry has developed naturally through competition.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Start beating SMU consistently and see how fast and how much they start hating us. Until then, they have no reason but to view us as the red headed stepchild. 

Can we start with actually competing with them? I mean these games are almost always over by halftime.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

My issue isn't their success.  It is that they are insufferable when they win.  

They have not learned how to win with class.

And the fact that The Drive nearly tanked their season and we kept them from being undefeated last year only relieves the pain a little that they kept us from winning the conference the first year they came to Denton.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3

Vito still pimping for UTSA...some things never change.  If we were not in a conference with them or somehow moved to another conference, I doubt we'd be looking to schedule them for an annual matchup.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

UTSA is not a rival.  It's just a conference member.  If we weren't both moving to the AAC would anyone -want- to continue to schedule the game?  No.  And that's the difference between competition and rivalry.

“UNT is not a rival. It’s just a game to get attendance up. If we were able to fill Ford Stadium on our own would anyone -want- to continue to schedule the game? No. And that’s the difference between convenience and rivalry.”
- SMU

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

UTSA is not a rival.  It's just a conference member.  If we weren't both moving to the AAC would anyone -want- to continue to schedule the game?  No.  And that's the difference between competition and rivalry.

While I agree with this currently, I think potential is there.  If UTSA continues to get national recognition and remains competitive, their proximity and competition for recruiting could make them a good natural rival.  The same reasons hold with SMU.  In both cases, teams need to be consistently competitive with each other.  We currently lack that consistency.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Leave it to Vito to poke the fans with this crap.  UTSA is NOT our rival and they never will be.  They are a glorified junior college with a CarMax salesman head coach.  Our rival has and always will be SMU and you know it @Brett Vito

Yes, our rival is SMU, and SMU’s rival is TCU, and TCU’s rival is Texas and so on.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

From the reaction of UTSA fans, their rival is us. 

Whats funny is the talk from both sides saying the other is not our Rival, yet when the game comes up both sides start getting bad blood.  RowdyTalk often has UNT threads, and the same for this site.  Any time I come here there are mentions and talk about UTSA.  For me, I dont care as long as the game gets the fans and team motivated and most years this game seems to do it.  Lately UAB has been doing it as well.  Either way, great game coming up on Saturday.  Safe travels for those going to San Antonio, wish I could be there.

• Upvote 5