North Texas' Top 25 streak

ntmeangreen11

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Another reason to dislike La Tech. This is a rivalry I hope we keep playing 

image.png.beba59a3b088bb69043556a91d751f7e.png

I feel like this game is one of the worst loses in our history.  All of the momentum from early in the season just vanished.  I’m most likely exaggerating, but I feel like if we had won this game, the sleeping giant that we talk about may have been awakened.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NT93 said:

I feel like this game is one of the worst loses in our history.  All of the momentum from early in the season just vanished.  I’m most likely exaggerating, but I feel like if we had won this game, the sleeping giant that we talk about may have been awakened.

To go even further, it’s not out of the realm that we could’ve been the top G5 program that year if we don’t lose that game. If we pull that out, it’s possible that we are playing in a BCS bowl game that year. Not saying it would’ve happened, but I doubt we lose to Old Dominion. At UAB was always gonna be tough that season and it turned out to be their welcome back to the CFB world. But that LT loss was a gut punch—one we really haven’t recovered from.

21 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Our pre conference games this season were winnable games, we just didn’t win them.

This year's schedule set up better than any in recent memory (probably since 2018) in terms of winnable games to start the season, we just don't have the team / coaching to have been able to take advantage of it.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, NT91 said:

Tulane is now in the top 25.

Why?  Because they were in the Southeast Conference 50 years ago?  Is it truly in a name with some schools & where your school was 50 or so years ago?
Well, we’ve been trying to figure out how to run a football program for decades in Denton & one school near & dear to all did it in 1.  One might begin to think Fouts & Apogee were built on a Comanche/Kiowa burial grounds or something.  
I once heard late ex UNT AD Andy Everest say: “If UNT were in Gainesville we’d be far enough from DFW to draw more fans.”
So….How long can all this keep happening? Some of us don’t have another half century left.  I’ll hang up & listen. 📞 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

this is green sunglasses talking, but we were top 25 material in 2013... outside of the UTSA disaster and the late Georgia blowout, we only lost to Ohio (coulda shoulda) and Tulane (w/some bogus penalties as our defense was literally beating up other teams). The only other close game we had was against Ball St. if we pull out the tulane game, we are 9-3 at the end of the regular season, heading into the CUSA championship game against Marshall, who we would have smoked... then we head to a better bowl game from there...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

this is green sunglasses talking, but we were top 25 material in 2013... outside of the UTSA disaster and the late Georgia blowout, we only lost to Ohio (coulda shoulda) and Tulane (w/some bogus penalties as our defense was literally beating up other teams). The only other close game we had was against Ball St. if we pull out the tulane game, we are 9-3 at the end of the regular season, heading into the CUSA championship game against Marshall, who we would have smoked... then we head to a better bowl game from there...

Better?   In 2014 weren’t we in the Cotton Bowl Stadium in sunny Dallas on or near a New Years Day before the largest gathering of UNT fans ever (approx. 40,000) vs UNLV & our even winning the game?   (QB Derek Thompson was superb on that day—Hellsbells! The entire team was)!  

The photo below was taken at that 2014 Heart of Dallas bowl game, but (of course) we could not sustain that success.  Portland State would be soon on the way to Apogee & Denton.  
A213400B-BE00-4AA2-A89F-5620C31BCAD0.jpeg.6776f6905fac481201c82908647ba00b.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1