North Texas' Top 25 streak

ntmeangreen11

20 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is what happens when you play in a weak conference and more importantly have terrible records out of conference

No this is what happens when your leadership's commitment to excellence suspect.   Half your fanbase is justifiably concerned that their under 0.500 head coach will be extended after an 7-5 season.  The extension will make him the longest tenured FBS head coach in the state of Texas by at 4 years going into year 8.  So sad the state of affairs when the few fans are left are praising individual staff members for anything positive they can find.  "FBS Head Coach in the near future somewhere besides UNT" and a coach on our current staff shouldn't be in the conversation.  Yet here it is.  We probably spend more than Rice and New Mexico State combined on coaches since we joined CUSA.

I am not just BS-ing either as a "SL hater"

New Mexico State HC Pay.  0.600 mil

Rice HC Pay                          0.950 mil

North Texas                           1.7 mil

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I believe these are all time records, not just recent. I think the last time we were ranked was 1977 but that was the coaches poll. Have we ever been ranked in the AP top 25?

Interestingly, James Madison was ranked 25 last week, five games as a FBS team.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I believe this is all time records, not just recently. I think the last time we were ranked was 1977 but that was the coaches poll. Have we ever been ranked in the AP top 25?

Fan base and leadership could care less. That’s why we see ridiculous threads like extend Seth on here. Oh WoWs wHat iF hE woN oUt??? EXtenD!! EXtenDd!!! hiM noWw!!!

Who cares if he’s done nothing in 7 seasons. Not so much as one CUSA title or one bowl win. It’s not about going to the next level. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I believe this is all time records, not just recently. I think the last time we were ranked was 1977 but that was the coaches poll. Have we ever been ranked in the AP top 25?

But check who James Madison beat. They had no super wins. If you can start the season off 4 or 5 and 0 you have a chance of being ranked

• Upvote 1

Just now, Got5onIt said:

Fan base and leadership doesn’t care. That’s why we see ridiculous threads like extend Seth on here. It’s not about going to the next level. 

Most casual fans only want to see teams that are winning. Why do you think so many P5s schedule as many winnable games as possible and out of conference. 

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

But check who James Madison beat. They had no super wins. If you can start the season off 4 or 5 and 0 you have a chance of being ranked

Regardless, they were ranked in five weeks and we have not been ranked in the AP poll since we started playing major college ball in 1957.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not disagreeing but my point is schedule games we can win. This program needs victories

Our pre conference games this season were winnable games, we just didn’t win them.  That being said, I do enjoy it when we play teams with more name recognition. It’s fun for the fans and I’m assuming for the players. Not Alabama/Ohio State, but the Cal and Arkansas of the world. 

• Upvote 2

In before several homers and younger alums so this is Old Denton and that there is just no reason we can’t win here, too, and be ranked, just like Boise State, UCF, USF, UTSA, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Georgia Southern, Louisiana, Troy, Marshall, WKU, and any MAC team that has gotten ranked while we have knocked the ball out of the park at .382 winning percentage since we made it back to FBS in 1995.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

This list doesn't include teams who have never been ranked thoguh, correct?

Not sure but it appears we were last ranked in 1959. That was 19 years before Seth Littrell was born. So lets bring out the hate for not only Littrell but every single coach we have had since Odus Mitchell had us ranked back then which would include Hayden Fry.

https://herosports.com/north-texas-prediction-ap-ranking-1959-ahah/amp/

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Are most of these OOC future games in the meme below (other than those who are now AAC games) still on our future football schedule? 

What happened to Covid schedule casualties Texas A&M (a $1.2 million guarantee) & UH?

To play more potential or present Top 25 schools makes it easier for our future football program to gain Top 25 if that’s our goal (& I’d think we all still hope it is).

Playing unappealing schools who won’t draw flies at Apogee when we start another run of winning will not help us get to Top 25. 

Ex UNT AD Craig Helwig literally scheduled Matt Simon out of a future as an NCAA FBS HFC with his murderous OOC scheduling so I would think AD Wren Baker needs to find a happy medium for future OOC scheduling. 

AF264EA9-7DFE-4F62-B203-27E3D2914370.jpeg.2703a48dab1472a4182b5e2bc2d03353.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

‘23, ‘24, and ‘25 look like good OOC schedules. A name P5, a couple of G5, and an FCS.  

Regarding the OP, the distance between 1-3 and 4 is crazy.

Also, I would have bet decent money that Rice was ranked at some point during the Trevor Cobb years.  Didn’t they tie for the SWC title?  Seems like it was a three way tie.  

Terrible memory.  None of those things about Rice are even remotely true🤣🤣

Edited by NT93

23 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Are most of these OOC future games in the meme below (other than those who are now AAC games) still on our future football schedule? 

What happened to Covid schedule casualties Texas A&M (a $1 million guarantee) & UH?

To play more potential or present Top 25 schools makes it easier for our future football program to gain Top 25 if that’s our goal (& I’d think we all still hope it is).

Playing unappealing schools who won’t draw flies at Apogee when we start another run of winning will not help us get to Top 25. 

Ex UNT AD Craig Helwig literally scheduled Matt Simon out of a future as an NCAA FBS HFC with his murderous OOC scheduling so I would think AD Wren Baker needs to find a happy medium for future OOC scheduling. 

AF264EA9-7DFE-4F62-B203-27E3D2914370.jpeg.2703a48dab1472a4182b5e2bc2d03353.jpeg

Updated 2023 OOC
image.png.7baef550951f9ba1ac6fc1cf48d9c432.png

^^We are also no longer on the 2025 Wisconsin schedule 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Sad 1