How to Improve GameDay Experience at UNT

In my first game of the season yesterday (due to newborn son Labor Day weekend), I noticed a few things:

1. Instead of a graphic for each starter, the PA just announced the players off a list of Offense/Defense. Since at least my freshman year in 2014, we have never been able to roll the graphics correctly.
  2. The PA timed up the "That's good for a Mean Green... first down!" differently/incorrectly. It was more like "That's good for a Mean Green first down!"
  3. The band seemed less active, especially when it mattered on defense.
  • Upvote 5

Great ideas.  I received a game experience survey today.  Hopefully you did too and can add these to the survey.  Seems like each week I see that they changed something that seems to be based on survey results.  This week they cut the ADA lot space in half so people could still get to the prime tailgating spots.  They seem to be listening if you share feedback in the surveys.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Great ideas.  I received a game experience survey today.  Hopefully you did too and can add these to the survey.  Seems like each week I see that they changed something that seems to be based on survey results.  This week they cut the ADA lot space in half so people could still get to the prime tailgating spots.  They seem to be listening if you share feedback in the surveys.

I normally get one, but didn’t get one for this game. I entered the game with my scrappy squad member and my tix weren’t scanned. I wonder if only scanned tix get the survey?

• Upvote 1

I wore my kilt to the game, which I do periodically.  (Don't judge.)  I'm walking in and one of the security guards at the gate said "Sir, she is going to need to check inside your bag."  I looked at her oddly and then looked down at my sporran and said "This?!?"  Sure enough.  I awkwardly opened it up and gave a gentle pelvic thrust so she could see inside it.  That was a first in my history of game day experiences.  I could hold more in my pockets than I could in that thing.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I'm going to pay an AD $750k a year to figure it out. 

I see where you’re coming from, but I don’t share the same sentiment.

Aside from the previously mentioned surveys, wouldn’t crowdsourcing some of the schools most loyal fans be a good place to gather information?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

I like the idea with one exception. If we want current students and recent alums to get rowdy, playing only the Eagles, Orbison, Meatloaf and others from prior generations doesn't do much. Mix it up. Give everybody some music to be excited about. Doesn't matter if they're not UNT alum. If you want the next generation of alums to have favorable memories, all you have to do is make it a fun experience and win some games.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

What ever happened to the golf ball hitting contest and the legit dancing contest for real prizes and what ever happens to the cars facing on the screen with scrappy and coach etc…. Video boards need upgrading (could be larger at this point) and more fun stuff on the boards. Show other games and scores etc…. 

also why does only one half of the end zone have a board but not the other….

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I like the idea with one exception. If we want current students and recent alums to get rowdy, playing only the Eagles, Orbison, Meatloaf and others from prior generations doesn't do much. Mix it up. Give everybody some music to be excited about. Doesn't matter if they're not UNT alum. If you want the next generation of alums to have favorable memories, all you have to do is make it a fun experience and win some games.

Ha!  Yeah…fair points. The concourse feels like it needs a bit more vibe to it. The music would help. And yes, winning definitely helps. I attended from 2001-2005 and those teams got me hooked!

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Agreed. The guest we have taken love the DJ for the game, but the band has been super bland this year. Especially during games. They need to step it up cuz otherwise the DJ will be all we have. They need to work on their songs during the game. 

The Under The Wing Pub was a great idea with such poor execution. How do you announce something like than then it just be a fenced off area with a few tables and couple of TVs? Make the investment and give it an honest chance at being something. 

Less so gameday experience and more of getting butts in seats.. I’d like that pub to have some sort of pre-game special. Something like half off beers starting an hour before gametime up until kick. Might get people in the the gate and ready to go from the jump. Idk. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I see where you’re coming from, but I don’t share the same sentiment.

Aside from the previously mentioned surveys, wouldn’t crowdsourcing some of the schools most loyal fans be a good place to gather information?

Problem is not the most loyal, it the causal fans. How do they compare their UNT gameday experience to that at other places? Hell, send staff members to other games in the region. Nothing wrong with Benchmarking and borrowing good things from others. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Lovely Take 1

34 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Problem is not the most loyal, it the causal fans. How do they compare their UNT gameday experience to that at other places? Hell, send staff members to other games in the region. Nothing wrong with Benchmarking and borrowing good things from others. 

100% agree.   No need to reinvent the wheel

• Upvote 2

Just now, Glory to the Green said:

100% agree.   No need to reinvent the wheel

Years back when Bob Stull was the AD at UTEP he went out of his way to have pregame activities for everyone. It was an event and people came. Concerts, a lot of kids activities, etc. I know a lot of people who had no ties to UTEP that would attend their games. There is a lot going on and the AD needs to fight for the attention of the fans. Get sponsors and have give-aways for fans and students. Start smaller at the beginning of the game and give out larger prizes as the game goes on. Make it an event that people want to attend.

• Upvote 3