The Sleeping Giant

Marcelo

What happened to the "sleeping giant" talk that I remember was promoted plenty during the McCarney days?

If we still believe in that, how can some of us possibly be supporting to keep Seth Littrell??

I was a fan the first couple of years and appreciate what he did back then but Seth is clearly not the answer if we have serious intentions of becoming relevant in CFB. We desperately need to be competing in (and winning) conference championships and getting OCC statement wins to "awaken the sleeping giant".

By now, Seth has more than proven he is not the answer, regardless of what happens the rest of this season. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Nearly every fanbase thinks their school is a sleeping giant.  Very few really are.  

Ae we?  I like to think so, but I'm an alum, so I'm biased.

I think we are.  I just think it will take the right guy.  I have my doubts about whether or not Seth is the guy but he’s certainly not the worst coach out there either.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I think we have the makings:

Largest student population of universities in DFW

large alumni base in metroplex

Continued improvement of facilities to name a few

But alas..that "Sleeping Giant" is in a Coma.

Until the president of the University and those at the highest levels decide they want to make football a priority we will always be the sleeping giant. We don't even have an athletic department that puts priority into generating student interest. If we don't place a priority for involvement with students why should the normal fan base think that we care

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

We need that winning high energy outgoing Head Coach that can go out in the community and fire up and build a fanbase, the student body, the recruits and the players. I would love to really focus on recruiting kids from a 250 mile radius; especially in the greater DFW metroplex. 

A strong commitment from the Administration to winning. 

UNT is perfectly located in football country with a large media market with a great central hub airport. 

We have a very large student body at 42k. 

We have what most schools only dream of. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Some of you aren’t paying close enough attention. The commitment has been there for the past two decades. This doesn’t happen overnight. Our HFC is one of the highest paid in G5. Our athletic director is top 25 compensated in the entire country. We are top dog in revenue in CUSA.  We are easily top 10 in facilities at the G5 level. Just stop with the self deprecating bullshit. You say it and people believe it even though it’s far from the truth. We have so much to be thankful for as fans yet we perpetuate the negative perception. Why? 

Yes I know the fan base has given up on the HFC. This will sort out because of an absolute commitment from the regents and the real power of high dollar donors. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

The big issue is with conferences merging, paying players, and the transfer portal, it's getting harder and harder for any team to move up.  Specifically for North Texas, the best thing we can do is have a larger, more active fan base.  More people seats = more exciting game days = more money for facilities/coaches/etc.  

• Upvote 3

Wanna make people care? Beat someone they care about…like SMU or any other SWC team that we can get to Denton besides Rice. Then, after that, beat the teams in conference and get a bowl victory. 

Most popular teams we have rolled out in 45 years beat teams like Texas Tech, Baylor, Cincy, Arkansas, and SMU. It’s achievements like this that get people to finally come watch a football game at Apogee. Getting drilled by those same teams just reinforces that we are spare.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Big Z said:

Be a top 25 team a win a conference championship. Stop just beating the same lame a$$ teams and actually beat some good opponents. For once, win a bowl game…

This is how most fans outside of the usual homers look at our situation. For decades, a big win involves beating some team with a weird directional name or that sounds like an airport. One of my history professors once said we play Semi-circle Louisiana this week, drawing laughter from the room so loud that you’d have thought Seinfeld was performing  IOW, playing teams that don’t move the needle won’t get people out to Denton to watch—-UNLESS we have given them a reason (see wins over SMU, Tech, Baylor, Arkansas, even Army). The students and faculty take no pride at all in our program because we don’t play or beat anyone for them to care about. It’s why the SMU game has become our season, basically. Then we get crushed, the students don’t come back to watch, and the circle continues. Lather, rinse, repeat.

What does amaze me on here is just how many people think it’s gonna change around here with the level of commitment we don’t have here. It cannot change unless you get a charismatic coach who wins here. That’s why Gary Patterson is the shining hope for me. Like Hayden Fry, a fired SWC private school gave him his credibility and he could come here and make things happen here like he did when he first started at TCU. But he has to know a commitment is there to take this on. And he may look at this entire situation and say, “Nope—not for me, thank you”, but it might also just be the perfect place for him to finish out his coaching career, too.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is how most fans outside of the usual homers look at our situation. For decades, a big win involves beating some team with a weird directional name or that sounds like an airport. One of my history professors once said we play Semi-circle Louisiana this week, drawing laughter from the room so loud that you’d have thought Seinfeld was performing  IOW, playing teams that don’t move the needle won’t get people out to Denton to watch—-UNLESS we have given them a reason (see wins over SMU, Tech, Baylor, Arkansas, even Army). The students and faculty take no pride at all in our program because we don’t play or beat anyone for them to care about. It’s why the SMU game has become our season, basically. Then we get crushed, the students don’t come back to watch, and the circle continues. Lather, rinse, repeat.

What does amaze me on here is just how many people think it’s gonna change around here with the level of commitment we don’t have here. It cannot change unless you get a charismatic coach who wins here. That’s why Gary Patterson is the shining hope for me. Like Hayden Fry, a fired SWC private school gave him his credibility and he could come here and make things happen here like he did when he first started at TCU. But he has to know a commitment is there to take this on. And he may look at this entire situation and say, “Nope—not for me, thank you”, but it might also just be the perfect place for him to finish out his coaching career, too.

I tend to agree that Gary Patterson would be a great hire, assuming he shares the same vision and has the energy to turn this program around. We'd also have to step up in terms of compensation if that were the case. However, there are other options as well with the level of resources we have in place.

If SL isn't let go after this season, then it'll show that leadership is not on board with truly becoming nationally relevant. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Marcelo said:

I tend to agree that Gary Patterson would be a great hire, assuming he shares the same vision and has the energy to turn this program around. We'd also have to step up in terms of compensation if that were the case. However, there are other options as well with the level of resources we have in place.

If SL isn't let go after this season, then it'll show that leadership is not on board with truly becoming nationally relevant. 

Would love Patterson.

• Upvote 1