I'll say it

peanuts104

9 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This is insanity. Just for arguments sake, let’s say we win out and finish 10-3 with a conference championship. You’d still be demanding his firing? That would make us the laughing stock of CFB and would convince every quality coach not to come here. 

If your scenario played out, I’d be all on board for keeping him…he’d have shown improvement and an immense amount of buy-in from the locker room.

And that ain’t happening. When we played SMU, UNLV, and Memphis, they all had more talent than we have, while also being much better coached. UTSA, WKU, and UAB are all in the same vein as the three OOC opponents we got beat by, two of whom murdered us. 

Look, today was a very solid win at home for us. La Tech is rebuilding and we have left them behind to stew in their own CUSA backyard of poop. Same with UTEP. And we won at home against FAU, which again was a solid conference win. I suspect we will get two more against FIU and Rice. That will get you 6 wins and a bowl berth against some MAC or MWC team again. If we win it, you’ll get to enjoy SL for at least 3 more years here. And probably get VIP tickets to the Lovelace Party.

And then watch us go 3-9 as AAC members, with an automatic SMU ass kicking annually to continue.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He will lose 3 of his next 4. Why do I know this? Because that’s what he has done for 6+ years. Why does anyone expect anything different? 

UTSA 5-2  Loss

WKU 4-3 Loss

FIU 2-4 Win

UAB 4-2 Loss

He has beaten every losing team and lost to every winning team this season as well. 

It’s death and taxes. 

We can argue about “what if” all we want but he will continue doing what he does. Just like he has this year.

6+ years of this. It’s not difficult….

Yup, he’ll beat teams with a losing record, lose to teams with a winning record, then get blown out in the bowl game. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pellom said:

Great post. 

I’m done with the handwringing over the coaching situation. What will be will be. Let’s go win every damn game left. 

Short story time: 

2005 MLS Cup was being hosted in Frisco between the LA Galaxy & New England. Galaxy had a ton of talent but were inconsistent and fired Sigi Schmid for Steve Sampson in like July of that year. Sampson was the head coach of the US Men's team in the 1998 World Cup who embarrassingly lost to everyone with poor team selection and an even worse strategy. BUT by some miracle Sampson still guided the Galaxy to winning the US Open Cup, and now they're set to win MLS Cup and make it a helluva a year. They win on a golazo in OT and their fans go pretty wild, I mean, who wouldn't in this scenario if this is how your team wins? 

So we all pile out to the tailgate and the Dallas supporters group was hosting a good many fellow Galaxy supporters. I'll never forget this one guy who quickly came down from the high of winning the championship to suddenly saying "ah crap it means Sampson is gonna stick around". Really blew my mind the mental gymnastics that one has to go through to hate a coach so much for their performance, only for that coach's performance to actually win you a title. I thought back on it a few years later and realized that I never wanted to be like that. I really don't approve of Seth's record here, I think he did great in taking us from the doldrums to consistently average, but if he wins out or comes close this season I won't be like the anti-Sampson dude and enjoy the moments that come along with winning. 

Thanks for coming to my pointless Ted Talk.  Also, Sigi Schmid would go on to win like 4 more cups with two different clubs after being fired by L.A. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Short story time: 

2005 MLS Cup was being hosted in Frisco between the LA Galaxy & New England. Galaxy had a ton of talent but were inconsistent and fired Sigi Schmid for Steve Sampson in like July of that year. Sampson was the head coach of the US Men's team in the 1998 World Cup who embarrassingly lost to everyone with poor team selection and an even worse strategy. BUT by some miracle Sampson still guided the Galaxy to winning the US Open Cup, and now they're set to win MLS Cup and make it a helluva a year. They win on a golazo in OT and their fans go pretty wild, I mean, who wouldn't in this scenario if this is how your team wins? 

So we all pile out to the tailgate and the Dallas supporters group was hosting a good many fellow Galaxy supporters. I'll never forget this one guy who quickly came down from the high of winning the championship to suddenly saying "ah crap it means Sampson is gonna stick around". Really blew my mind the mental gymnastics that one has to go through to hate a coach so much for their performance, only for that coach's performance to actually win you a title. I thought back on it a few years later and realized that I never wanted to be like that. I really don't approve of Seth's record here, I think he did great in taking us from the doldrums to consistently average, but if he wins out or comes close this season I won't be like the anti-Sampson dude and enjoy the moments that come along with winning. 

Thanks for coming to my pointless Ted Talk.  Also, Sigi Schmid would go on to win like 4 more cups with two different clubs after being fired by L.A. 

Not to go too far off topic, but this is FCD's year!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Short story time: 

48 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Not to go too far off topic, but this is FCD's year!!!

FCD looks very good this year. I don’t know if we are deep enough to beat Philly or LAFC this year since they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league but I think with a couple more transfers next window and another year with Nico, we are title contenders 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

FCD looks very good this year. I don’t know if we are deep enough to beat Philly or LAFC this year since they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league but I think with a couple more transfers next window and another year with Nico, we are title contenders 

I would agree with this. Hoping for an upset!

• Upvote 4

I might back into this a bit different - this all melts down to what the university org wants right. Do they want to emulate successful programs that drive money into the university and its other sports programs i.e. good revenue would spill over into other less lucrative sports. Or are we a teaching institution that happens to have sports and or some are pretty good and some suck kinda. 
To me we are halfway pregnant (yes you can’t be halfway) but we build this great new stadium and great new indoor field and are paying real bucks to our coaches for our conference level and are seeking a higher level sports conference- Yet we seem unable to critically evaluate our football performance (basketball is doing super) BUT maybe this is where I’m way wrong, meaning what my view of our success and the universities view, are not congruent? They might say we are making a few bucks and Seth is a respectable coach and we are ok being in the middle of the pack? But then you think of the money we are investing surly we want more you’d think right ? It’s this half pregnant theme I allude too. We seem to be in this mid-stage mess. 
Will we keep someone that’s a solid .500 guy because that’s all we want (we = university) or are we wanting more and just move very slow? Are we afraid if we bump Seth the Loveless $ goes away? But surely Loveless has higher expectations on a return on investment, as you don’t have money like this to give away, because you have no business acumen? Are we waiting for the “buy out” to go away as we are surely not like a Neb that fired Frost at a cost of 15mil yet had they waited 2-3 more games it would have been half.   
I guess I’m just saying “Let’s #hit or get off the pot” my legs are going to sleep ha 

Lastly I’d say if we keep Seth we get him a G Harrell guy back, as we all can see that our performance has suffered since Harrell left. 

• Lovely Take 1