The most overpaid coach in college football?

Coach Andy Mac

On 10/13/2022 at 12:03 PM, untjim1995 said:

SL got his extension (which was deserved) because his agent,

You are wrong he got TWO extensions only one of which were deserved.  The first of those 2 raises were deserved.  But I wouldn’t say ‘well’ deserved because the teams weren’t competitive in their post season games on top of just losing them.  Before the good showing against Army, UTEP stomped us 52-24 preventing us for qualifying for a bowl game with 6 wins without a waiver.   Coaches who don’t win post season games don’t get multiple extensions and raises when they are already on the top paid in their conference.  Also it doesn’t help that most of the teams that curb stomped us aren’t well known to your causal FBS fan.  Getting stomped by Utah State, FAU, and Troy State in a bowl game is a net zero or negative especially if  recruit that is on the fence takes notice.  

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Hayden Fry disagrees.....

Well, in business the 4 hardest words I had to learn were "maybe you are right", and you and "Mean Green Texan" are  right and I am  wrong.  Moore was at UNT for 2 years and lost as many games as he won. He was fired at Texas Tech but resurfaced at App. State and built the foundation for their success. Holtz at La. Tech probably did the most with the least of anyone in the neighborhood. He won the UFL championship this season at Birmingham so he might not be on the college market. But, as has been posted before, with a $2 million budget we should attract a great deal of interest. However if Littrell goes 7 & 5 and we are invited to bowl game whats Baker going to do? We have 3 tough road games at UTSA , W.K.,and UAB. Win one of these[UAB is beatable] and our remaining home games and we are there.[ NOTE : my son went to Auburn, had too much fun, and graduated from UAB. He lives in Ft. Lauderdale and we are meeting in Birmingham for UNT/UAB game and see their new stadium.]

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Jimbo has a NC to his name and won an Orange Bowl at A&M. Mel Tucker has had one winning season as a HC out of 4 and got a 10yr $95mil contract so you’re absolutely nuts if you think Jimbo is the most overpaid HC in CFB

Even though I understand someone saying its Jimbo, I admit I find this argument fairly coherent.

Tuckers contract was an abomination and a number of sparty fans sure have buyers remorse already. Their AD h was willing to pull the trigger of a veritable grenade launcher awfully fast without ascertaining it was aimed correctly.

Doesn't mean Jimbo isn't also ridiculously overpaid too though.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

Even though I understand someone saying its Jimbo, I admit I find this argument fairly coherent.

Tuckers contract was an abomination and a number of sparty fans sure have buyers remorse already. Their AD h was willing to pull the trigger of a veritable grenade launcher awfully fast without ascertaining it was aimed correctly.

Doesn't mean Jimbo isn't also ridiculously overpaid too though.

I completely agree that Jimbo is overpaid but not even close to the worst which is Tucker. There are numerous other coaches like Sarkisian who makes $7mil despite his best ever season being 9 wins and him accomplishing nothing in 3 HC gigs. It amazes me how easy it apparently is to get paid big money to be average 

14 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

I completely agree that Jimbo is overpaid but not even close to the worst which is Tucker. There are numerous other coaches like Sarkisian who makes $7mil despite his best ever season being 9 wins and him accomplishing nothing in 3 HC gigs. It amazes me how easy it apparently is to get paid big money to be average 

I don’t know but Texas looked pretty good today didn’t they?

8 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Jimbo has a NC to his name and won an Orange Bowl at A&M. Mel Tucker has had one winning season as a HC out of 4 and got a 10yr $95mil contract so you’re absolutely nuts if you think Jimbo is the most overpaid HC in CFB

10 mil a year to lose to App State

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

10 mil a year to lose to App State

He makes $9.5mil which is exactly what Tucker makes except Jimbo hasnt had a losing season. Tucker is on track for his 4th losing season in 5yrs as a HC. You have to literally be high as a kite to think they’re even close in terms of being overpaid. Jimbo is overpaid but he has done something previously to show he is capable with a NC and multiple double digit winning seasons. Tucker has shown he can be a one hit wonder. Also how are you gonna talk shit as a UNT fan about anyone being overpaid when we have Littrell who is as overpaid as they come in the G5

On 10/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, greenminer said:

This roster does not need an overhaul, y'all.  Get the QB room addressed, put in some new drills and coaches that get the footwork aligned, sprinkle in a little inspirational fire, and this team would be 10x better.

I feel confident I am not alone on this hill.

QB room - Yes
Need better DB's or we will be in trouble
Need more team speed

11 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

He makes $9.5mil which is exactly what Tucker makes except Jimbo hasnt had a losing season. Tucker is on track for his 4th losing season in 5yrs as a HC. You have to literally be high as a kite to think they’re even close in terms of being overpaid. Jimbo is overpaid but he has done something previously to show he is capable with a NC and multiple double digit winning seasons. Tucker has shown he can be a one hit wonder. Also how are you gonna talk shit as a UNT fan about anyone being overpaid when we have Littrell who is as overpaid as they come in the G5

You have to be high as a kite to take this so seriously. Like someone said earlier, they're all overpaid.

• Upvote 2