The most overpaid coach in college football?

Coach Andy Mac

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

We are not going to get" more for less" if we replace Littrell. An O.C. like Rilley at TCU might find $2 million + very attractive. I don't know what the average H.C. makes in the AAC but it's got to be more than CUSA.

If Gus Malzahn makes 2 million at UCF, Leipold makes $2.4 million at Kansas, and it's estimated Sonny Dykes made $1.3 million at SMU,  there's no reason we shouldn't be able to get an experienced HC or somebody trying to get back to a HC gig like a Herman or a Patterson, if they're interested, with our current salary range. We're paying too much to hire a 33 year-old coach with 10 years coaching experience to be our next HC. If we hired somebody like Garrett Riley, I'd hope we would significantly lower that HC salary and greatly boost the assistant coach salary pool or maybe even add some assistant coaching spots. On average, CUSA programs have 21 football staff members, AAC has 25, your P5 conferences average about 29 to 31.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

We are not going to get" more for less" if we replace Littrell. An O.C. like Rilley at TCU might find $2 million + very attractive. I don't know what the average H.C. makes in the AAC but it's got to be more than CUSA.

Yes we will.  This is a Head Coach position, not an assistant position.  Candidates will be lined up for the opportunity.  They know a couple great seasons and they could be getting a call from a K-State for a P5 HC job.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We have not been competitive against good teams in the last three years. We have played 3 mid range G5 schools this year and lost all 3. SMU has lost 3 games and they kicked our ass.UNLY tore us up, and we caught Memphis on a very bad day for them and still lost. I realize you have your green glasses surgically attached, but stop kidding yourself - This team has not been competitive against good teams for years.

Ha!  I can’t argue against these losses.  SMU and UNLV just whooped us. The Memphis game we can debate.  I don’t have green glasses, but they’re definitely green tinted. 😎

I’m willing to let the season play out (barring another embarrassment).  I’m predicting a dominant performance versus LaTech. A loss to them and SL is all but gone. But like others have said, I could even see us cutting SL loose after a 6-6 season.  

FAU, UTSA, Rice, Memphis, SMU, and UAB are our AAC opponents. We’re 1-2 versus this bunch this year.  Not great. Let’s see how the team finishes out the year. I hope its not 1-5. Likely 2-4. Maybe 3-3. Doubtful 4-2.  I want a strong finish like last season albeit against tougher competition than last season. Turning the corner, baby!  GMG!

31F3767D-FF8C-48A2-9C97-E4A13B67BD4E.jpeg

Edited by Glory to the Green
Green tinted glasses
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1

19 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

... there are 131 D1 FBS programs in the country. Which means there are only 131 D1 FBS head coaching positions. Being a D1 FBS head coach means you're at the top of the coaching world, outside the NFL. It's a big deal. If the UNT position came open, there would be plenty of qualified applicants. Not sure what you view as qualified but based on the other part of your comment, I'm assuming you mean somebody who's actively a college head coach. If the position came open, you'd definitely have current college head coaches trying to move to a bigger program applying for the job.

and how many of those programs are happy with their coach year over year???  the next coach is not always better.  $2 million and a bowl game 5 out of 6 seasons, there are plenty of schools at the bottom that would take that deal, even if they loose the bowl games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, MrAlien said:

and how many of those programs are happy with their coach year over year???  the next coach is not always better.  $2 million and a bowl game 5 out of 6 seasons, there are plenty of schools at the bottom that would take that deal, even if they loose the bowl games. 

Yes but we would also like to see him win a conference championship as well.  Is that asking too much?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Yes but we would also like to see him win a conference championship as well.  Is that asking too much?

school payed $2 million to get to the post season 5/6 years.  if you want to win a championship then find a more expensive coach that can do that. 

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

school payed $2 million to get to the post season 5/6 years.  if you want to win a championship then find a more expensive coach that can do that. 

Ummm no. $2 million per year puts him near the top of the G5, especially once Houston and Cincy move to the Big 12. If he's getting paid near the top of the G5, he should be performing near the top of the G5. Sorry but I don't consider making a bowl game in this era as making the post season when there's 44 bowl games. When 88/131 FBS teams will play in a bowl, it's no longer an accomplishment. For his salary, he at least needs conference championships. I'd agree with you if he were making closer to $1 million.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

EXACTLY!    
You might even say it's a waste of money!    2 of those 6 years, we went to the bowl game with a LOSING record, and came away with an even worse losing record!  How embarrassing.

Somehow a coach who was paid less than Seth Littrell has won Conference USA every single year he's been here sans his first year in 2016 when he was making $765k while Coach Brohm made $805k.  (Traylor, ClarkX2, KiffinX2).    All of your arguments about this are simply incorrect.

I'm halfway convinced you're trolling.   There is no way you can be serious about this.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to hire Skip Holtz if he is not your taste. But I will say I think he would sign for 1 million flat and did more at LaTech with less. Also didn't make a million there.

There absolutely are options where you are likely to get at least the same while rerouting money to other areas like NIL

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

How many coaches out there have actually won a G5 championship over the last 10 years?  what would it cost to bring one to UNT, knowing you would probably have to lure one here? 

Here you go:    (and to answer the 2nd question, I bet $2mil/yr would do!)
Current school in parenthesis.

SBC
2012 - Gus Malzahn (UCF)
2013 - Brian Harsin (Auburn) / Mark Hudspeth (Gulf Shores HS)
2014 - Willie Fritz (Tulane)
2015 - Blake Anderson (UTSt)
2016 - Scott Satterfield (Louisville)
2017 - Neal Brown (WVU)
2018 - Satterfield
2019 - Eli Drinkwitz (Mizzou)
2020 - Jamey Chadwell (Central Carolina) / Billy Napier (FL)
2021 - Napier

MAC
2012 - Dave Doeren (NCSt)
2013 - Dave Clawson (Wake Forest)
2014 - Rod Carey (Indiana-OL)
2015 - Dino Babers (Syracuse)
2016 - PJ Fleck (MN)
2017 - Jason Candle (Toledo)
2018 - Carey
2019 - Chuck Martin (MI,OH)
2020 - Mike Neu (Ball St)
2021 - Thomas Hammock (NIU)

MWC
2012 - Chris Petersen (Retired?) / Rocky Long (UNM-DC) / Tim DeRuyter (TXTech-DC)
2013 - DeRuyter
2014 - Harsin
2015 - Long
2016 - Long
2017 - Harsin
2018 - Jeff Tedford (FresnoSt)
2019 - Harsin
2020 - Brent Brennen (SJSU)
2021 - Anderson

AAC
2013 - George O'Leary (Retired)
2014 - O'Leary / Justin Fuente (HELLO!?!) / Tommy Tuberville (Senator!)
2015 - Tom Herman (Twiddling thumbs)
2016 - Matt Rhule (Has choice of jobs)
2017 - Scott Frost (Twiddling thumbs)
2018 - Josh Huepel (TN)
2019 - Mike Norvell (FLSt)
2020 - Luke Fickell (Cincy)
2021 - Fickell

C-USA
2012 - Bill Blankenship (Owasso HS)
2013 - David Baliff (A&M Commerce)
2014 - Doc Holliday (Twiddling thumbs)
2015 - Jeff Brohm (Purdue)
2016 - Brohm
2017 - Lane Kiffin (OleMiss)
2018 - Bill Clark (Retired?)
2019 - Kiffin
2020 - Clark
2021 - Jeff Traylor (UTSA)  I was under the impression this championship should have an astrisk because they were "overrated" & "soft", but I can't seem to find one. 🤷‍♂️

Now, out of those guys, I think NT could certainly pull any of the following:
Mark Hudspeth, Rod Carey, Jason Candle, Chuck Martin, Thomas Hammock, Rocky Long, Tim DeRuyter, Brent Brennen, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Bill Blankenship, Doc Holliday, & David Baliff.

The only ones worth actually pursuing if we want to be serious in the AAC, would be: Fuente, Herman, & Frost.  All 3 of whom have been bantered about on here as possible options.

Wait until the end of the season and guys like Neal Brown & Bryan Harsin likely become available as well, and maybe the guy who built up that Toledo program for Candle to take over:  Matt Campbell (but he'd probably be a hot commodity like Rhule).

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The only ones worth actually pursuing if we want to be serious in the AAC, would be: Fuente, Herman, & Frost.  All 3 of whom have been bantered about on here as possible options.

Scott Frost makes me a bit nervous due to his abysmal record at Nebraska (never finished .500 in a single season). I get it's a tough conference but they have so many resources available that it baffles me how he had absolutely zero success. Herman at least had a 10-win season at Texas. He also never had a losing season. His results just weren't up to their standards but he and Fuente would be my 1a and 1b in no particular order. Matt Campbell would be my next favorite if he became available. I feel like this is as good a year as any to hire a new coach and I'm confident the current HC salary pool could attract one of those guys here.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SBC
2012 - Gus Malzahn (UCF)
2017 - Neal Brown (WVU)
2018 - Satterfield
2021 - Napier

MAC
2016 - PJ Fleck (MN)
2018 - Carey

MWC
2012 - Chris Petersen (Retired?) / Rocky Long (UNM-DC) / Tim DeRuyter (TXTech-DC)
2013 - DeRuyter
2014 - Harsin
2015 - Long
2016 - Long
2017 - Harsin
2019 - Harsin
2021 - Anderson

AAC
2018 - Josh Huepel (TN)
2021 - Fickell

C-USA
2016 - Brohm
2019 - Kiffin
2020 - Clark
2021 - Jeff Traylor (UTSA)  I was under the impression this championship should have an astrisk because they were "overrated" & "soft", but I can't seem to find one. 🤷‍♂️

Mark Hudspeth, Rod Carey, Jason Candle, Chuck Martin, Thomas Hammock, Rocky Long, Tim DeRuyter, Brent Brennen, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Bill Blankenship, Doc Holliday, & David Baliff.

Wait until the end of the season and guys like Neal Brown & Bryan Harsin likely become available as well, and maybe the guy who built up that Toledo program for Candle to take over:  Matt Campbell (but he'd probably be a hot commodity like Rhule).

Might be nice to hire someone who was not fired from his last job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes we will.  This is a Head Coach position, not an assistant position.  Candidates will be lined up for the opportunity.  They know a couple great seasons and they could be getting a call from a K-State for a P5 HC job.  

We will spend at least what Littrell was making , and the last North Texas head football coach to get a P5 job was Jerry Moore in 1980 who went to Texas Tech.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SBC
2012 - Gus Malzahn (UCF)
2017 - Neal Brown (WVU)
2018 - Satterfield
2021 - Napier

MAC
2016 - PJ Fleck (MN)
2018 - Carey

MWC
2013 - DeRuyter
2014 - Harsin
2015 - Long
2016 - Long
2017 - Harsin
2019 - Harsin
2021 - Anderson

AAC
2018 - Josh Huepel (TN)
2021 - Fickell

C-USA
2016 - Brohm
2019 - Kiffin
2020 - Clark

Nice work, good job!

• Upvote 1