How many wins triggers Seth extension?

Dannymacfan

How many wins triggers Seth extension?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins triggers a Seth extension?

• 6 wins
    • 6 win but one of them is beating UTSA in SA
    • 7 wins
    • 8 wins
    • there is no scenario where he may return.

• Harry featured this topic
14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

8 wins means we beat 2 of the following:
UTSA, WKU, UAB.
And we lose to 0 of the following:
LATech, FIU, Rice.
That puts NT in the West Division title race.

If he can do that, extend him, at most, 2 more years with no bump in salary and more incentives.  Can't do the 5 year stuff with him right now.   Jimmy Sexton does not have NT over a barrel like he did in 2018.
If Littrell doesn't like the terms, he can kick rocks prior to the bowl game, find a RBs coach job somewhere (not a HC job, that's for sure), & Wren can go get his guy. 

Something tells me if NT were to win 8 games, we'd get paired up with a competent team like Air Force in the New Mexico Bowl or South Alabama in Boca Raton & get absolutely trashed.   And we'll be right back in the mouse wheel.

Agree. The key here is IF and I mean a BIG IF they were to even think about entertaining the notion of bringing him back (for shit's sake I can't believe I'm saying this) the terms should be so one sided that it would bump up to the edge of being insulting. And 8 wins and a bowl win is the absolute minimum to even put this in a conversation:

No raise in base pay, 2-3 years max (just for recruiting), NO buyout, heavy incentives that don't even start at less than nine wins, conference championship game, bowl victory.

Take it or leave it and Jimmy Sexton can get F'd

I would guess his agent would tell him to pass in which again, his agent can get F'd

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I dont think its a question of wins, I believe it depends on if there is a better coaching option available.  Would only winning 4-5 games warrant the AD sending this program into a complete rebuild with a new coach, especially heading into a new conference? 

You keep assuming the absolute worst with change.   Why?

And my man, if we only win 4-5 (heck, even 6) games, we're already stuck in a 4-year "rebuild".   The better question would be... Do we want to continue with this rebuild?   ...Just hammering that square peg into the round hole.

I believe Baker would be able to find the right coach (again, NT is paying at the top of the G5 pay scale.  There will be plenty of interest) to win right away.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You keep assuming the absolute worst with change.   Why?

And my man, if we only win 4-5 (heck, even 6) games, we're already stuck in a 4-year "rebuild".   The better question would be... Do we want to continue with this rebuild?   ...Just hammering that square peg into the round hole.

I believe Baker would be able to find the right coach (again, NT is paying at the top of the G5 pay scale.  There will be plenty of interest) to win right away.

If the coach is out, then you have to believe the rest of the staff is going to start looking for a new program, and players will enter the portal.  It will mean a long term rebuild.  

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Eye Roll 2

12 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

If the coach is out, then you have to believe the rest of the staff is going to start looking for a new program, and players will enter the portal.  It will mean a long term rebuild.  

TCU, USC, even Smut didn't seem to have a problem changing coaches.  Change can be a good thing, and quickly, for some programs, if you find the right replacement!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Yeah, we'll lose most of the existing coaches (I bet Cobbs remains), and some players may hit the portal.   But if an upgrade is brought in, or a guy who the players think can lead them, I bet most stay.    Heck, as we saw last offseason, even if Littrell stays, we're going to lose all-conference caliber players to the portal.  The neat thing about the portal is...?   It works both ways!   

A coaching change absolutely does not equate to a "long term rebuild".  We need look no further than the ponies in UP (Dykes) or the birds in San Antonio (Traylor) to prove this untrue.   Both exhibited rapid turnarounds.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Can you add an option for "no amount"? It is time to move on. If you want this to continue - YOU are part of the problem. Let's use our move to the American to end the acceptance of average being good enough.

Yes, but that is avoiding the question, while inserting your wishes.

If he wins 8 or more, he will be awarded a new contract.

If he wins less than 7, he will be gone.

That leaves what happens if he wins 7.   I think this could go either way depending on the scores of the remaining games. 

If the losses are close and competitive, it is most likely he will be back for the last year of his contract. 

I don't think like some others that would ruin recruiting.  It wouldn't help, but after a 7 win season: I think recruiting could improve despite the possibility of a coaching change in 2023.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If the losses are close and competitive, it is most likely he will be back for the last year of his contract. 

Not sure giving him his one last year of a contract is a possibility either.  Recruiting hasn’t been great but weighing Littrell down with just one remaining year on his contract would be devastating.  Also you would have assistants bailing on him too.  Rats on a sinking ship.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The people downvoting this and eyeroll emoji'ing... speak up. What are your thoughts and reasoning behind said thoughts. 

Because it is ridiculous to dismiss the idea of him returning under any circumstance when we are tied with UTSA for first in conference presently. We probably won’t win conference but if we did, it would be foolish of us not to try and keep Littrell.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Because it is ridiculous to dismiss the idea of him returning under any circumstance when we are tied with UTSA for first in conference presently. We probably won’t win conference but if we did, it would be foolish of us not to try and keep Littrell.

I don't care if he wins the conference.  This conference sucks at this moment in time, so we would be the best of the worst OHHH the glory of it. 🤮

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

He has done textbook mediocre. He is the definition of mediocrity. I find it difficult to just blatantly support that. But, I asked, you answered. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1