NT FB 2022 = A Year in Transition

Dannymacfan

I have 2 thoughts about any Benford-SL comparison:

1) This year in football does not feel nearly as bad as what we were feeling about MBB during Benford's 2nd-to-last season

2) Baker has a much better view of the state of our programs, compared to what he had coming into his first year.  I will never know for sure, but I suspect the only reason he kept Benford for his final year was to actually see it and feel it.  If he had come one year earlier, he would have felt much more comfortable about letting Benford go before that final year.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

He just had to see the lack of attendance and a couple of games under Benford.  I don't even remember playing a good game with Benford?

Might be the worst coach I've ever seen in Denton.  Recognized the in-coming dumpster fire in year 1.  Cancelled my subscription to whatever that service was that provided online streams and....just braced myself.  Little did I know it would last 4 more freaking years.

Pretty much destroyed the passions of Tasty Greek and Co.  We lost the Peach Basket pod, and with it some of my favorite basketball dialogue.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Might be the worst coach I've ever seen in Denton.  Recognized the in-coming dumpster fire in year 1.  Cancelled my subscription to whatever that service was that provided online streams and....just braced myself.  Little did I know it would last 4 more freaking years.

Pretty much destroyed the passions of Tasty Greek and Co.  We lost the Peach Basket pod, and with it some of my favorite basketball dialogue.

@UNT90was also a casualty of that era.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

Enjoy the moment and this team, man. We have a very talented team. We’re potentially watching them turn the corner.  GMG!

You and several coaches go on Twitter saying we have a good team, but I haven't really seen it. We are good in spots (RB, WR, DE, etc.) but good teams don't get blown out by almost 40 points to other 2-3 teams (SMU) or suffer multiple blow outs in one season. What qualifies this team as being good? Genuine question.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You and several coaches go on Twitter saying we have a good team, but I haven't really seen it. We are good in spots (RB, WR, DE, etc.) but good teams don't get blown out by almost 40 points to other 2-3 teams (SMU) or suffer multiple blow outs in one season. What qualifies this team as being good? Genuine question.

I don’t know that we’re a good team, yet.  I believe the talent is there, but it’s not being maximized. FAU was our most complete game but we still were far from perfect. The Memphis game could have been a good win, but two pick 6’s messed that up.  I think we’re trending up. Talent is good, but the team needs to improve to he considered good. Does that answer your question?

3 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I don’t know that we’re a good team, yet.  I believe the talent is there, but it’s not being maximized. FAU was our most complete game but we still were far from perfect. The Memphis game could have been a good win, but two pick 6’s messed that up.  I think we’re trending up. Talent is good, but the team needs to improve to he considered good. Does that answer your question?

Yeah, sort of. I understand your point in that we have potential that has been reached yet which I totally agree with. But for coaches to outright say we have a good team baffles me for the reasons previously listed. 

5 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Talent is good, but the team needs to improve to he considered good.

I hate to be cliché with it but if you apply the old saying:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Then if you believe that we have talent, what's getting in the way?  Or are we not talented enough? Is that talent not being pushed or motivated?  Coached up?

I think it's a multitude of things but I mentioned this on another thread, to me it speaks then to the culture which SL has had seven years to put in place and build upon.  Results are still unfavorable.

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yeah, sort of. I understand your point in that we have potential that has been reached yet which I totally agree with. But for coaches to outright say we have a good team baffles me for the reasons previously listed. 

I attribute this to coach speak and to enticing recruits. What else could they say?  

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

He was like Vic Trilli good assistant and recruiter not a HC 1 & 1A for the honors🏀!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I attribute this to coach speak and to enticing recruits. What else could they say?  

Being a bit more real would help. Should take a page out of this playbook:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/07/13/kansas-head-coach-lance-leipold-were-not-in-the-business-of-moral-victories/

Littrell has been making a career out of moral victories this season. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Pseudo Nym said:

I hate to be cliché with it but if you apply the old saying:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Then if you believe that we have talent, what's getting in the way?  Or are we not talented enough? Is that talent not being pushed or motivated?  Coached up?

I think it's a multitude of things but I mentioned this on another thread, to me it speaks then to the culture which SL has had seven years to put in place and build upon.  Results are still unfavorable.

This is where I land. The coaching needs to get better if we’re going to get better and win more games.  The team culture seems great, but the winning culture isn’t quite there.  SL has had 7years, but how many of his coaches have had those same 7 years here?  He’s had a few bad hires that have greatly hurt his tenure here..that’s on SL.  Is this the group of coaches to help the Mean Green take the next step?  The team is playing better than early in the year. Is that coaching, player development, play calling, etc?  A true QB coach has to be addressed for next season.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Being a bit more real would help. Should take a page out of this playbook:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/07/13/kansas-head-coach-lance-leipold-were-not-in-the-business-of-moral-victories/

Littrell has been making a career out of moral victories this season. 

That guy’s talking the talk AND walking the walk.  Reminds me a bit like Gregg Poppovich speak.  Thanks for sharing.  If SL’s run is over, I wonder if we go with a coach like this (success at lower level). Obviously its a case by case basis, but I’d be okay with it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

That guy’s talking the talk AND walking the walk.  Reminds me a bit like Gregg Poppovich speak.  Thanks for sharing.  If SL’s run is over, I wonder if we go with a coach like this (success at lower level). Obviously its a case by case basis, but I’d be okay with it. 

Totally agree. He called the stadium sellouts before the season and he made it happen. And regarding the second part, I mentioned in another thread that I would love an experienced coach with program building success at a lower level. I’m tired of the “young, up and coming coach” that hasn’t been challenged with building a program yet

• Lovely Take 1