Class of '23

UNTLifer

Someone, I think @BillySee58, mentioned our small graduating class of ten seniors in another thread.  Throw Aune in with that group, since he stated this will be his final year, and we know of eleven spots available in this next class not counting on transfers, etc.  We currently have commitments from five high school players.  Assuming they all stick, do you all think we go the transfer portal for the remaining spots in this class?  Our junior class is also small, eleven players including Aune, as well.  I would think this is the direction we take, along with the JUCO route, to help balance the roster.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Someone, I think @BillySee58, mentioned our small graduating class of ten seniors in another thread.  Throw Aune in with that group, since he stated this will be his final year, and we know of eleven spots available in this next class not counting on transfers, etc.  We currently have commitments from five high school players.  Assuming they all stick, do you all think we go the transfer portal for the remaining spots in this class?  Our junior class is also small, eleven players including Aune, as well.  I would think this is the direction we take, along with the JUCO route, to help balance the roster.

Is Aune deciding to come back set in stone?  He is listed as a junior on the roster.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/austin-aune/5496

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Not that I wish it, but some of our players may opt for the portal. That might open up a few spots, too.  The FCS/Div 2 route has been pretty decent. Horton, Trieb, Smart, Nick N (pending health), Earle, and Mazin.  I see them staying this route.  I think our OLine is going to need some attention for the next season. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Not that I wish it, but some of our players may opt for the portal. That might open up a few spots, too.  The FCS/Div 2 route has been pretty decent. Horton, Trieb, Smart, Nick N (pending health), Earle, and Mazin.  I see them staying this route.  I think our OLine is going to need some attention for the next season. 

I wasn't factoring players transferring out because we just don't know who that may or may not be.  FYI, Trieb was a JUCO transfer.

What leads you to believe that our OL will need some attention?  Outside of Mose, it is a young group.  I would expect Carroll to slide over to center next year and have all our remaining positions filled by returning starters.  That should be a pretty salty group.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I wasn't factoring players transferring out because we just don't know who that may or may not be.  FYI, Trieb was a JUCO transfer.

What leads you to believe that our OL will need some attention?  Outside of Mose, it is a young group.  I would expect Carroll to slide over to center next year and have all our remaining positions filled by returning starters.  That should be a pretty salty group.

You’re right. We don’t know who’s planning on leaving, but we’ll surely have a few hoping for greener pastures. 

I didn’t realize Trieb was JUCO. I’m good with it. I honestly don’t care where our players come from as long as they come in and compete. 

I guess I thought our OLine was more seasoned. Manase is the only senior?  I’m good with it.  This group should be great for a couple of years!  Clements was known at Baylor for finding centers. Hoping he can keep that going here in Denton. 

Starters:

Brown is a junior, Blair a true sophomore, Mose a senior, Nwaiwu a R-Fr (Carroll a Jr), and Duncan a So.

Based on class:

Senior: Mose

Juniors: Brown, Carroll and Moreka

So: Blair, Byers, Duncan and Gallo

Fr: Asenuga (RS), Bond (RS), Ezekial, Jackson (RS), Nwaiwu (RS), Reeves (RS), Sampson, Smallwood and VIllanueva.

Edited by UNTLifer