DRC: In this week's UNT newsletter we examine the Mean Green's 7-game C-USA winning streak. What's working for UNT?

Brett Vito

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We're comparing Apples to Rotted Oranges here.   The Ice Bowl pitted to divisional champions against each other.  Both teams were 9-win teams and the Packers were FAVORED in the game by 6.5.

Getting back to a genuine effort here, because I really thought the UTSA win was understood by all NT fans... I'm trying to figure out why a 45-23 beatdown of an undefeated, ranked, C-USA champion team would not translate in a game against a 6-6, barely-bowl-eligible Miami, OH game less than a month later?

If what you're saying is true, and NT was indeed the superior team to UTSA, and would have beaten them regardless because we had "turned the corner" as many here were saying at the time, wouldn't UNT have beat Miami, OH in Frisco pretty one-sidedly?

I feel pretty confident if our main offensive weapon played, the running back who forgot this is a team sport and didn't play for fear of injury, it would of been a win.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're wasting your time with all of this. I tried in another thread. Taking away the UTSA win is taking away one of the good wins against a good team in a decade. It's a memory some want to remain as positive.  One of the common responses is that the weather was for both teams which completely ignores the fact that passing games are limited in torrential downpours and limiting Harris vs limiting Aune are two completely different impacts on an offense. They're also ignoring that Harris was taken out at halftime, presumably to prepare for the conference championship game which they won while we were preparing to get clobbered in another bowl game. Weather being part of the game doesn't make a win any less fluky. Both can be true.

1.  UTSA had Sincere McCormick, 1st team all conference RB, in their backfield.

2.  UTSA had first team all conference OL Spencer Burford, and second team all conference OL Ahofitu Maka leading the way.

3.  We only had little ol' Deandre' Torrey, second team RB,  running behind a line with only a second team performer.   The utsa defense should have been able to key on Torrey since Aune didn't even compare to Harris.

Sorry.  Not a fluke.  UTSA is/was soft.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Milking this CUSA streak is worse than our other programs marketing all of their conference championships despite most of those teams not winning the conference tournament.

(I understand it may be an unpopular opinion, and slightly off-topic, but I hate how the basketball program calls it a three-peat... they have not won the regular season title nor conference tourney in three straight years)

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Did it ever occur to you that the angle you’re missing isn’t that we were some juggernaut, but rather that UTSA was (and is) highly overrated and unworthy of that #19 ranking?

@emmitt01 While I agree with you on this, please note this will be a devastating blow to those who look at this as the Landmark victory over a top 20 team and try and use this as justification why Seth is "just about" to turn the corner and "what we could be".

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

2.  UTSA had first team all conference OL Spencer Burford, and second team all conference OL Ahofitu Maka leading the way.

3.  We only had little ol' Deandre' Torrey, second team RB,  running behind a line with only a second team performer.   The utsa defense should have been able to key on Torrey since Aune didn't even compare to Harris.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Man, I wish UNT was as "soft" as UTSA last year.   
Maybe we could have won a conference championship.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1. Mccormick only got 2 carries in the second half, both in the first drive, before also being rested.

2. Three of our TD drives were 26 yards or less due to the unforced fumbles. In other words, not like we were constantly driving 80 yards for scoring drives.

I'm not going to go back and forth on this again. After the sloppy start, UTSA started warming the bus. You can believe whatever you want. I'm going to look at the entire season and the fact that we were blown out the very next game while they won the conference. SL and Co didn't just mysteriously put it together for one game against an undefeated opponent and then wet the bed again the next game but if believing that helps you sleep at night, go right ahead. Funny how everybody wants SL gone due to lack of results but then wants to believe with all their might that SL coached the team to beating a ranked 11-0 opponent less than a year ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2