Matt Rhule has come available

cousin oliver

Probably unpopular opinion, but I'm not interested. Even before the flameout in the NFL, I thought this dude was overrated. People ignore what Al Golden did at Temple before he got there, or that he left Baylor before establishing anything sustained or sustainable with his own recruits. 

He just smells to me like another Littrell, except he actually left after two winning seasons.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

There is no comparison.  And we seem to be too worried about coaches leaving early to actually hire a coach that can win something significant here.   Getting your coach hired away because he is successful here is a problem you want to deal with.   Actually makes the program money when he get bought out and coaches with rising stock want to come replace him.

If SL had left for KSU after two 9-win seasons, people would talk about how awesome he was here. That's what Rhule did, except Temple was solid under Al Golden (who got hired away by Miami, not fired for being a failure).

And Baylor escaped without NCAA penalty, so when Rhule took over and went 19-20, it was with a bunch of Briles recruits and system. He left Baylor with a 19-20 record. 

Golden built up Temple. Briles built up Baylor. Rhule went to those programs and won for a couple of years and then jetted. Good move for him, and fine for those universities, but I have serious doubts about him as a coach. I'm not worried of him getting hired away. I'm worried he's just not very good and got lucky in his situations and timing.

Rhule is 47-43 overall. One bowl win over 6-6 Vandy when he was at Baylor.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Probably unpopular opinion, but I'm not interested. Even before the flameout in the NFL, I thought this dude was overrated. People ignore what Al Golden did at Temple before he got there, or that he left Baylor before establishing anything sustained or sustainable with his own recruits. 

He just smells to me like another Littrell, except he actually left after two winning seasons.

Excuse me, Monkeypox, what is this term you use, "winning seasons"?  I can't comprehend what you mean.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Excuse me, Monkeypox, what is this term you use, "winning seasons"?  I can't comprehend what you mean.

I think I've heard of those before.   It's like when you win 6 games like UNT does sometimes, only, if I understand right, you win even more games after that.   So, like, you're not actually losing more games than you win.
It's like ghosts, Santa Claus, & unicorns.   Not real.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, Monkeypox said:

If SL had left for KSU after two 9-win seasons, people would talk about how awesome he was here.

And there is the problem "people" who don't know college football.  Most Mean Green fans if they are engaged at all are NFL fans first and college fans second.  Winning 9 games in the weak CUSA conference (only 8 against FBS competition) only means you aren't a bad coach because we don't/can money/prestige whip coaching assistants and recruits to come here.  Now programs like Rice, UL, ULM, Texas State or Arkansas State, 9 wins with their serious disadvantages means you are a good coach. A guy like Rhule would be great here because minimally he is Seth's offensive mind peer (probably better) and he makes our program look like it is legitimately trying like when we hired Mac.   Had we not hired someone like Mac and they had the one great year then the flame out, I doubt an up-and-comer like Seth was would have been anxious to replace him.  Do I want Rhule at significantly higher pay than Seth-NO.  But I think it is an no brainer (if the conditions I mentioned earlier are met)to hire him at our going pay rate for AAC coaches.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Well, as a reminder, since we moved back up to FBS in 1995, we have had exactly 6 winning seasons out of 27. You have seen them, even if they’re like a Bigfoot spotting.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Where did you come up with this?

God Bless him, Mike Jackson looks at our situation and our resources/location, thinking we should be so much better than what we show. He lists every reason that we are the sleeping giant. He looks at this place just like Dan McCarney did. He only hears excuses, not reasons, for our suckitude for the better part of the last 40+ years. 

One day, like so many, many more before him, he will wake up and ask himself why this is the hill he chose to fight upon. He will then go crazy like the 98% of the UNT family does (like UNT90 did) and just walk away or he will go the path of untjim1995 and realize that the best path to follow us is to expect absolutely nothing and just enjoy the occasional winning season fully, knowing how amazing those years are around here. I’ve been in his shoes—believing that this place was the next big G5 program to go upward. Then I have watched Boise State, Marshall, UCF, USF, Troy, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, and UTSA zoom to the place I thought we could go. Those places demanded winning. We didn’t and don’t. You can’t want to win more than the administration does. It’s not ever gonna work out for your expectations.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

God Bless him, Mike Jackson looks at our situation and our resources/location, thinking we should be so much better than what we show. He lists every reason that we are the sleeping giant. He looks at this place just like Dan McCarney did. He only hears excuses, not reasons, for our suckitude for the better part of the last 40+ years. 

One day, like so many, many more before him, he will wake up and ask himself why this is the hill he chose to fight upon. He will then go crazy like the 98% of the UNT family does (like UNT90 did) and just walk away or he will go the path of untjim1995 and realize that the best path to follow us is to expect absolutely nothing and just enjoy the occasional winning season fully, knowing how amazing those years are around here. I’ve been in his shoes—believing that this place was the next big G5 program to go upward. Then I have watched Boise State, Marshall, UCF, USF, Troy, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, and UTSA zoom to the place I thought we could go. Those places demanded winning. We didn’t and don’t. You can’t want to win more than the administration does. It’s not ever gonna work out for your expectations.

I like the way you put that

• Upvote 2

On 10/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, untjim1995 said:

Those places demanded winning. We didn’t and don’t. You can’t want to win more than the administration does. It’s not ever gonna work out for your expectations.

No other excuse/reason are possibly valid except this one.  And once I accept that I won't be supporting athletics at all like +80% of local alumni.  And I won't be posting here anymore and wonder why the few that do continue.   Never once did I state that we should always be at the top of G5.   But it is absolute waste of money to be circling the drain near the bottom and celebrating 5-6 against FBS with the same number of scholarships available to them.  It is actually embarrassing most seasons and doesn't shine a positive light on the university.  And if they aren't going to demand above 0.500 against FBS competition they should drop down to FCS.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

No other excuse/reason are possibly valid except this one.  And once I accept that I won't be supporting athletics at all like +80% of local alumni.  And I won't be posting here anymore and wonder why the few that do continue.   Never once did I state that we should always be at the top of G5.   But it is absolute waste of money to be circling the drain near the bottom and celebrating 5-6 against FBS with the same number of scholarships available to them.  It is actually embarrassing most seasons and doesn't shine a positive light on the university.  And they aren't going to demand above 0.500 against FBS competition they should drop down to FCS.

Couldn't possibly agree any more with you on this. Great post.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, untjim1995 said:

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No other excuse/reason are possibly valid except this one.  And once I accept that I won't be supporting athletics at all like +80% of local alumni.  And I won't be posting here anymore and wonder why the few that do continue.   Never once did I state that we should always be at the top of G5.   But it is absolute waste of money to be circling the drain near the bottom and celebrating 5-6 against FBS with the same number of scholarships available to them.  It is actually embarrassing most seasons and doesn't shine a positive light on the university.  And they aren't going to demand above 0.500 against FBS competition they should drop down to FCS.

Very nicely said

giphy.gif

Edited by El Paso Eagle