Jason Bean playing well for Kansas

Dannymacfan

22 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Lol this guy makes Aune look terrible right now! Add insult to injury that the Murphy brothers may be 2nd and 3rd round picks in the draft.

Murphy brothers left to chase money.  Don’t know what happened with Bean, but all three moved up to P5.  Not sure this is the slap to our coaching staff that people are making it out to be.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Murphy brothers left to chase money.  Don’t know what happened with Bean, but all three moved up to P5.  Not sure this is the slap to our coaching staff that people are making it out to be.  

Recruiting is one thing, retaining and player development is another. This is hard to spin into a positive imo.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

Recruiting is one thing, retaining and player development is another. This is hard to spin into a positive imo.

The team passing stats (total yards) starting in 2015 to present.

2015- total- yards 1937

SL, GH and Mason Fine arrive

2016-Total yards  2708 (Fine and Morris starters, GH QB coach)

2017 -total yards 4078 (Fine starter all year, GH QB coach)

2018 - total yards 3988 (Fine starter all year, GH QB coach)

GH Leaves

2019 -total yards 3400 (3088 Fine, ? QB coach)

2020- total yards 2830 (Aune 1650, Bean 1131, ? QB coach)

2021 - total yards 2562 (Aune 1991, Ruder 571, ? QB coach)

2022- total yards 1572 (Aune 1496, Gunnell 75 ? QB coach)

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

The truth of the portal era is if most G5s and FCS schools that do a great job developing players as freshman sophomore will stand a great chance to lose them. The current rules in place, or should I say lack of rules in place, stack the deck for P5 schools and maybe someone like SMU with a lot of money. College football is first and foremost about money at this point

• Thanks 2

The highlight of my morning was listening to 105.3 (The Fan) on the way to the gym.  

A great conversation about Duggan and Bean going back and forth like “one upping during a dunk contest”.  After they were done talking about how Bean balled out, they threw in “and you know where he came from?  North Texas.”   Crazy thing is, at no point during their game recap did they mention players’ facial expressions on the sideline.  🤔

Lovely when local radio reminds everyone that guys who show out in a battle of undefeated P5’s weren’t worthy of our juggernaut of a program.  😂

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

2015- total- yards 1937

GH Leaves

Wins and losses are a better guage of success from those seasons.  

• Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Just checked my DM, you didn’t tell me where you sit. I mean of course I’m boycotting the team this year so it wouldn’t matter, but feel free to meet me at East Side sometime.

Ok, this back and forth has got to be the weakest I’ve seen in a while.  This is WWE level theater.  

image.gif.3b958d660b66598bfc31bef8e72dac82.gif

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

2015- total- yards 1937

GH Leaves

I appreciate you taking the time to pull these numbers. So your stance is that we do a great job of player development? As in more wins, and being competitive against teams with winning records?

Aune could have 9000 yards but if we can’t win a bowl game does it really matter? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

Just checked my DM, you didn’t tell me where you sit. I mean of course I’m boycotting the team this year so it wouldn’t matter, but feel free to meet me at East Side sometime.

You are correct. I sent you a DM on 8/28 asking you what your problem was/is. No response. Typical. I don’t live in Denton and will probably not be back until Homecoming. 
I sent the DM to take it off the board. He chose not to respond. I’ll leave it at that. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The highlight of my morning was listening to 105.3 (The Fan) on the way to the gym.  

A great conversation about Duggan and Bean going back and forth like “one upping during a dunk contest”.  After they were done talking about how Bean balled out, they threw in “and you know where he came from?  North Texas.”   Crazy thing is, at no point during their game recap did they mention players’ facial expressions on the sideline.  🤔

Lovely when local radio reminds everyone that guys who show out in a battle of undefeated P5’s weren’t worthy of our juggernaut of a program.  😂

He led them to a loss. Pending injury he might not touch the field again. Aune's no better. Bean had no accuracy in a time we were still trying to air raid. Wrong place, wrong time. What is really your point? 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Wrong place, wrong time. What is really your point? 

I think the over-arching point, at least how I read it from what folks have been saying, is that guys are leaving here for better programs and having success that were evaluated out of our program.

If our program was having success, it would validate the personnel evaluation decisions by the coaching staff (Aune over Bean) but since our program is not having success and those personnel moves/decisions are exposed when guys play well elsewhere and questions also surround the ability to retain guys (money exceptions with the twins notwithstanding).

On balance, when this happens, it highlights shortcomings of the coaching staff.

If Aune was better and the team was winning, we wouldn't be talking about Bean like "what if" but only "glad he got a chance to shine as well."

And I think with that, it renders the "wrong place, wrong time" as self-inflicted, caused by internal errors in evaluation, that are controlled by the coaching staff.

In essence, on a microlevel I think the argument is (Bean/UNT) translates on balance as:

Bean +1   
SL/UNT/Aune -1

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

If it isn’t one, it is another. Look at Kason Martin, look how good he does and what he should have done here. Weeks later, Bean in due to injury, look how good he does and what he should have done here. Mason Fine would’ve done better elsewhere in 2019 too if he had followed through on the transfer. Is this praise for our talent evaluators, complaints against our developers, or complaints against our play callers or all 3?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He led them to a loss. Pending injury he might not touch the field again. Aune's no better. Bean had no accuracy in a time we were still trying to air raid. Wrong place, wrong time. What is really your point? 

A good coaching staff doesn't try to force players into doing the only thing the coaches know how to do. You're supposed to figure out your players' strengths and figure out a system that highlights them. Think Auburn and Gus Malzahn running a run dominant option game on the way to championship game appearance in 2013. They didn't tell Nick Marshall to just pass better or replace him, they figured out the strengths of the offense and tailored the offense to those strengths. Kansas does a lot of motioning and option game but actually runs their QB because it usitilizes Daniels' run abilitiy. It also works with Bean as the backup. Look at Lance Leipold's Buffalo offenses from 2018 to 2020. 2018, they had the MAC player of the year and passed over 400 times just about 30 passes per game. He entered the transfer portal before declaring for the NFL. In 2019 and 2020, Buffalo was run dominant and attempted 21 and 22 passes per game.

Long story short, Bean could have been successful here. Just goes back to the coaching staff being stubborn. Changing the offense a couple years later doesn't help. Bean's gone. It's not "wrong place, wrong time." It's that the coaches were incredibly late on such a significant adjustment which is unacceptable.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

A good coaching staff doesn't try to force players into doing the only thing the coaches know how to do. You're supposed to figure out your players' strengths and figure out a system that highlights them. Think Auburn and Gus Malzahn running a run dominant option game on the way to championship game appearance in 2013. They didn't tell Nick Marshall to just pass better or replace him, they figured out the strengths of the offense and tailored the offense to those strengths. Kansas does a lot of motioning and option game but actually runs their QB because it usitilizes Daniels' run abilitiy. It also works with Bean as the backup. Look at Lance Leipold's Buffalo offenses from 2018 to 2020. 2018, they had the MAC player of the year and passed over 400 times just about 30 passes per game. He entered the transfer portal before declaring for the NFL. In 2019 and 2020, Buffalo was run dominant and attempted 21 and 22 passes per game.

Long story short, Bean could have been successful here. Just goes back to the coaching staff being stubborn. Changing the offense a couple years later doesn't help. Bean's gone. It's not "wrong place, wrong time." It's that the coaches were incredibly late on such a significant adjustment which is unacceptable.

Yeah, no one is arguing any of your points. Wasn't really the direction I was going with my comment. 

And wrong place, wrong time meaning they started transitioning to more of a run offense and Bean was in the portal or already gone. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, no one is arguing any of your points. Wasn't really the direction I was going with my comment. 

And wrong place, wrong time meaning they started transitioning to more of a run offense and Bean was in the portal or already gone. 

Gotcha. My point was that it's taking too long to make those changes. Seasons are short. Eligibility is short. We're still throwing it too much with the strengths of our personnel. 30+ passing attempts per game with a QB who completes 54% of his passes. Not taking advantage of an athletic QB with a true option game. Why? Players aren't going to waste their entire eligibility waiting for you to realize you need to change your system to fit the personnel.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Gotcha. My point was that it's taking too long to make those changes. Seasons are short. Eligibility is short. We're still throwing it too much with the strengths of our personnel. 30+ passing attempts per game with a QB who completes 54% of his passes. Not taking advantage of an athletic QB with a true option game. Why? Players aren't going to waste their entire eligibility waiting for you to realize you need to change your system to fit the personnel.

Completely agree. We need to be ball control.  Passing just enough to keep the defense honest.  That’s hard too since I feel we have very talented WR/TE group, but it’s just the way it has to be for us to be successful.

And I’ll add this:  When the coaching staff has recruited every player on the roster, we shouldn’t have to be changing the system to fit the personal.  It’s ridiculous.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No doubt.