DRC: UNT storylines at the halfway point -- Littrell in position to solidify return, Aune's rise, lack of a big win

Brett Vito

Looking at our future schedule It maybe rough to hit six.  I was concerned about LATECH but UTEP had five turnovers and there running back was hurt.  I think we could win that one if limit the turn overs. It will not be an easy game.  Oh yeah, play all three phases well.

UTSA-That will be uphill battle

UAB-see UTSA-UAB look very good against the MUTS.  The quarterback is accurate and they have some speed receiver

WKU-I think we will be in the game but not sure of the outcome.

FIU- yeah we better beat them

Rice-they been playing pretty well so it wont be a push over.  They did beat UAB.

So we have to beat FIU, Rice and LaTech,  I don't think we beat UAB, UTSA and WKU.

If we make it to bowl we will get beat beat.    We have only beat bad teams this year. 

Edited by southsideguy

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Looking at our future schedule It maybe rough to hit six.  I was concerned about LATECH but UTEP had five turnovers and there running back was hurt.  I think we could win that one if limit the turn overs. It will not be an easy game.  Oh yeah, play all three phases well.

UAB-see UTSA-UAB look very good against the MUTS.  The quarterback is accurate and they have some speed receiver

Rice-they been playing pretty well so it wont be a push over.  They did beat UAB.

So we have to beat FIU, Rice and LaTech,  I don't think we beat UAB, UTSA and WKU.

If we make it to bowl we will get beat beat.    We have only beat bad teams this year. 

You make some good points. I like to think that our future opponents have similar pauses when viewing us on the schedule.

“Yeah, UNT has had some ugly losses, but they seem to have turned a corner. If their QB hits his targets like he did vs FAU (minus the pick6), they’re going to be trouble.  Any one of their RB’s could put up 100. Their defense is improving.  Don’t kick it to Horton, that guy is elusive and is just begging for a chance.” 

Man, this green stuff I’m drinking is tasty.  Cheers!  

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Agree.   La Tech this week could be the make or break game for Seth hitting 6.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

You're trying to find that magic number.  You're trying to read Wren's mind.

nostradamus.jpg

Brett has been fairly complimentary of Littrell on Twitter recently. Not that I’ve necessarily disagreed with anything he’s said, I do figure that is probably an intentional stance based on some sourced information he is getting. Mainly I’m interested to know if Brett’s sources in the athletic administration are telling him “defend this guy, we think he’s doing a good job and want him to stick around.” 

I’m not sure there’s a magic number of wins - but I can’t imagine they can justify extending Littrell with a losing season. And it’s almost impossible to believe they would be narrow minded enough to think we can go into the AAC with a lame duck coach. They have to either back him fully with an extension or fire him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

48 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Brett has been fairly complimentary of Littrell on Twitter recently. Not that I’ve necessarily disagreed with anything he’s said, I do figure that is probably an intentional stance based on some sourced information he is getting. Mainly I’m interested to know if Brett’s sources in the athletic administration are telling him “defend this guy, we think he’s doing a good job and want him to stick around.” 

I’m not sure there’s a magic number of wins - but I can’t imagine they can justify extending Littrell with a losing season. And it’s almost impossible to believe they would be narrow minded enough to think we can go into the AAC with a lame duck coach. They have to either back him fully with an extension or fire him. 

I think if we are in that 5-7 win range, Wren will need to look at the context.  Are we finishing on a big win streak? Did we finally get a bowl win?  Those are completely different scenarios then if we have the same record but get blown out again in a bowl, or finish with a 2-3 game losing streak.

If SL gets this team to 8+ wins, context is probably pretty good and - in Wren's mind - is a solid reason to let 2023 play out with SL.

• Puking Eagle 2

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

He cannot lose six games under anything other than the most extreme circumstances and still survive to coach here next year.

I hope you’re right but the fact that many are understandably skeptical that 6 loses gets Seth fired tells you everything you need to know about our Apogee attendance issues.   As diehard as I am, I won’t be back to Apogee if Seth manages to go 6-6 get a bowl win and extension.  And under those conditions I wouldn’t bet anything significant on Seth being fired after a bowl win and certainly not before if they are eligible.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

I have been against the people wanting to put WB on the hot seat for the current state of FB as I think he's handled this in the most patient and professional way possible, but if he were to allow a 6-6 SL to continue that'd be indefensible. Let's hope for the good of the program he makes the right choice with however this season unfolds. 

• Upvote 4

Kudos to Brett for cutting through the coach speak BS of one game at a time.  No one acres about La Tech anymore, they are a nice program but they are staying in Mesquite while we are moving to Preston Hollow.

UTSA is the game every UNT fan has circled every year.  They are our conference  rival.  And Littrell could lose to La Tech (he won’t) and if he beats UTSA on the road he will be retained.  The UTSA game this season is Littrell’s contract renewal game. If he wins it he will most certainly be given an extension.

• Haha 1

If they are going to make a coaching change then they need to be interviewing coaches now, players are already entering the portal, and UNT needs to take full advantage of recruiting. 

Personally I do not see a realistic better coaching option out there at this time, and I do not think the school is in a position to wait until spring to see who becomes available. 

• Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1