DRC: UNT storylines at the halfway point -- Littrell in position to solidify return, Aune's rise, lack of a big win

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

@NorthTexasWeLove @greenminer @UNTcrazy727

Is this the positivity you want? I mean the beat writer in the town, one of two people that cover the team, he strongly believes in the current coach and his future here...the fans here in Denton sure get the big picture!! Go Mean Green!!

I've talked about "woe is us" as if this is about being positive, when it's not.  So I suppose that is on me for framing it that way.  This is more about us - not you - refusing to accept that we will always be Old Denton.  We demand better, and believe that it can be better!

It sucks hearing the "this is how it always has been, and how it always will be." from you.  Not just because it's saddening, but because we refuse to believe it is true.  Has decades of UNT made you believe that? Okay, but why rub that onto young fans? What an awful endeavor to take on.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think this is too lenient but that's just me. I'm probably expecting too much but if I were WB with SL on year 7, I'd expect 9 wins including a bowl win. Nothing less. I'm not interested I'm finishing 6-6 to play another 6-6 team in a bowl. Beating a 6-6 team from the MAC does nothing for me. At 8-4, you're probably playing another decent team in a bowl so, depending on the opponent, I can accept a win to to finish 9-4. I just don't see how finishing with 8 wins or less in year 7 should warrant an extension.

This. 8-4 or you pull the plug.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Math checks out.

Only concern is there are too many bowls now that very few matter to me, but that's a personal opinion. Need to cut it down a LOT

When the playoffs expand they'd be smart to change the bowl eligibility to 7-5. The non-CFP bows will be pushed down even further in importance, so why not reduce the number of bowls played? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Funny thing….I just have a feeling we’re going to win in San Antonio. Don’t know why 

then what do we do….

I'll be going to Smoke (its a good BBQ joint and bar) next door to the Alamodome to drink and discuss the game until the bar shuts down..... if we lose, I'll be going to Smoke next door to the Alamodome to drink until I shutdown.

So there's that!

shots tequila GIF

Edited by Pseudo Nym
Grammar
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Vito's got his own style.  Hated it when I was a student but have become rather indifferent towards his style now and can appreciate his perspective/insight.  I think he does a pretty decent balancing act in his role as a beat writer for UNT.

At the end of the day, "sports journalism" has been forced to move into the realm of entertainment media to survive.

It's more about garnering clicks, likes, and impressions, to pay the bills and make the advertising dollars.

Traditional coverage of teams/games that existed before social media came on the scene has little value now, as any player, coach, or "insider" can break news without going through a media outlet or channel.

Vito and Seth have both overstayed their visits.   Both are dull and boring.   

Time for them to find other employment elsewhere!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think Rice is easy win this year.  They lost to Houston by touchdown

I'd consider that a moral victory if it weren't for Houston being down 26-7 to Memphis in the 4th quarter right now. As it stands, our moral victory against Memphis looks better than Rice's moral victory against Houston.

• Haha 1

IF we end up extending Seth (as much as the thought makes me cringe, but I think WB is looking for a reason to do it) I would hope the President and Wren would have the guts to do like Michigan (with their coaches support) and give a contract that greatly reduces the base and the buyout, but gives Seth to make it all up if his teams perform. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t understand what you folks ripping on @Brett Vitoare getting angry about. Yes, the headline may trigger you but if you actually read the article it is pretty well balanced and even mentions most of the complaints lodged around here.

“The pressure is clearly on Littrell. The outlook didn’t appear promising when UNT was blown out by SMU and UNLV. A win over FAU improved matters significantly.”

The path to a winning season and a bowl game is there. It’s hard to imagine UNT firing and buying out a coach coming off a winning season.”

I’ll speak for myself, but these 2 quotes scream “low expectations” as far as Vito’s opinion on our school and team. Balanced or not, the undertone needs to change. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Take FCS teams out and Littrell has won 33 games in 6.5 seasons. 

Exactly.  Also, add in the cupcake teams in CUSA Seth manages to beat (FIU et al) and that 33 is reduced to probably less than 10 quality or average wins in 6.5 seasons.

19 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I have to think this attitude of "let's not suck" as a standard has a lot to do why we don't get players from the top programs in Denton to stay. They have grown up in an environment where they expect excellence, not just being average. These same players and Coaches see UNT's message (even if only indirectly) that we just want our football team to be average. Not what these guys are looking for.

For the most part High School players are looking for an opportunity to start. They probably have their fantasy college team that they would prefer to play for, but (IMHO) getting out there and playing full time is the bottom line for them.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think this is too lenient but that's just me. I'm probably expecting too much but if I were WB with SL on year 7, I'd expect 9 wins including a bowl win. Nothing less. I'm not interested I'm finishing 6-6 to play another 6-6 team in a bowl. Beating a 6-6 team from the MAC does nothing for me. At 8-4, you're probably playing another decent team in a bowl so, depending on the opponent, I can accept a win to to finish 9-4. I just don't see how finishing with 8 wins or less in year 7 should warrant an extension.

Most coaches that are capable of making changes in a program do so in their first three years. Dennis Franchione and Hayden Fry come to mind.

Hayden Fry was 5-5-1 his first year at NT. The next year (74) was his only losing season at NT. By his third year at Iowa Hayden had the Hawkeyes in the Rose Bowl.

Dennis Franchione took a TCU team that was 1-10 in 1997 and went 7-5,8-4, and 10-1 in the next three years.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

For the most part High School players are looking for an opportunity to start. They probably have their fantasy college team that they would prefer to play for, but (IMHO) getting out there and playing full time is the bottom line for them.

My son is a perfect example of that. He would have loved to play at UNT but that was not gonna happen. He just wanted an opportunity to play somewhere. He finally found a D2 that gave him a shot.

• Upvote 1