SMU portal exodus story

Jonnyeagle

Yesterday, Barry Switzer said (& I very liberally paraphrase): “NIL is going to ruin college football.”  
Yet, Barry, now that the Genie is out of the bottle how can it be altered to not be as harmful to the NCAA? 

🤔••• WOW! While Switzer was sitting on his sofa in Norman having no idea what Jerry Jones was going to do, it is my understanding that he actually inquired about the UNT job after Dennis Parker was fired.  Honest Injun’!  Can you only imagine…His name would have sold an additional 10,000 season tickets (wishbone or no wishbone). The expansion of Apogee Stadium would have been soon after.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3

43 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

“NIL is going to ruin college football.”  

Well in the case of SMU NIL has not panned out very well this far.  They are not having a good season and many of their best players refuse to play and are leaving the squad.  Is it possible that this NIL thing could backfire?

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I like Colony Eagles plan...just one hitch.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to fire a state employee?  Usually they just budget them out of existence rather than go through the hassle of firing them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, zenhuddy said:

Great so now a school’s collective like SMU or UTSA can claim a big NIL check has been written but doesn’t even pay the players with it?  And has no documentation or audit requirements from the NCAA?

I'm beginning to think we need to appoint a czar or some type of special person to clean this mess up or it’s going to kill the sport forever.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Mike Leach was saying they should be employees. I think that's fine. 

12 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I'm fine with employees too but there needs to be a ceiling on their pay.  Otherwise all of the good players will go to schools like SMUt.

I think the better solution is make it like the pros. Salary cap. Split the media money a bit more evenly just like in the pros. Is Alabama worth more media bucks than UNT? Sure. Too bad for them, I guess. The Cowboys are worth more than the Jaguars, the Lakers are worth more than the Oklahoma city Thunder, Manchester United is worth more than Nottingham Forest and so on. The best way for the NCAA to survive long-term is to even the playing field where competition is more spread out and everybody has a realistic shot at a championship. They're close to capping their media share, if they haven't already. This is why they're expanding the playoffs and guaranteeing a G5 spot. They're going to have the eyeballs of the big school fans already. It's the small school fans they need to keep engaged. You can't do that if your NCAA-appointed ceiling is a bowl game. They need to keep pushing on that front of balancing out the talent level.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

The correct answer is to classify programs by their budgets and their real attendance. This would not be hard to do in the world we live in today--drones can easily tell the NCAA that SMU and UNT got half of what they reported as attendance. 

The top 50 programs have no business playing the next 100 programs. They have so many more advantages than the current G5s and FCS, it's like saying libertarians or the green party can compete with the GOP or the Democrats. We know that they can't and it's a waste of time to act like they do. 

The G5s' fans, players, and coaches have every right to play for a championship, like every other level of football. From Pee Wee to the NFL, every level of football gets a champion crowned at the end of the season--except the G5s, who just accept crumbs because they get their AD budgets covered by games at the P5s. That isn't sustainable.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

College football is just not working for me anymore as a fan with the NIL + Portal.   I used to have a broad interest in College Sports   Now, I only pay attention to my school (NT) and could care less about anybody else.   And, it's even harder for me to get excited about NT football, not knowing who is actually going to be on team from year to year.

College football attendance has been dropping for 7 straight years now.    The misused NIL+Portal is only going to make matters worse IMO.     

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

https://www.outkick.com/smu-players-sitting-out-proves-sports-media-wrong-again/

But a player deciding his team isn’t winning as much as expected, or he isn’t having enough fun, is no reason to tell your coaching staff that you refuse to play for your scholarship.”

I don't think players pull the mid-season parachute over fun or winning records. They do it because someone is telling them it will get them more playing time elsewhere.

I hate some of the repercussions of the current anything-goes era but I hated the "pay athletes nothing while coaches earn millions" era more. If this all leads to player contracts, salaries and salary caps that might be the best outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d have to disagree. In SMU’s case Isaiah Nwokobia has seen significant playing time. Boise State had their QB transfer after a 2-2 start, and Utah’s QB did a similar thing to preserve eligibility.

The other SMU players entering the portal have had little playing time, to your point.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/multiple-smu-players-to-sit-out-remainder-of-2022-season-before-entering-transfer-portal-per-reports/

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, rcade said:

I hate some of the repercussions of the current anything-goes era but I hated the "pay athletes nothing while coaches earn millions" era more. If this all leads to player contracts, salaries and salary caps that might be the best outcome.

I know I’m in the minority, but I just don’t get this perspective.  Coaches are professionals.  They’ve paid their dues to get to where they’re at.  Kind of like @TheColonyEaglesaid earlier, Starbucks (and every other company) executives are making millions while paying employees minimum wage.  These athletes are getting a free education and meeting lots of influential people while being provided the opportunity to make it to the next level where they can make millions.  To me it’s a stupid argument that an 18 year old kid is due millions of dollars just because his coach makes millions.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I just don’t get this perspective.  Coaches are professionals.  They’ve paid their dues to get to where they’re at.

College football was never going to last as an amateur sport when coaches started being paid millions of dollars a year to coach players who couldn't even sign a football for pocket money without bringing down the wrath of the NCAA.

Starbucks employees aren't so valuable to the business that they are heavily recruited by competitors and their decision to sign with Starbucks is broadcast on TV and reported by the media. Only 800 out of 70,000 college football players signs with an NFL team.

No amount of dues-paying by a coach makes it reasonable for one to earn $9.8 million a year and a TV network to pay $3 billion to televise the performance of athletes who are paid nothing under the premise that their sport is "amateur."

Amateurism was a rickety structure and coaches took another sledgehammer hit to the load-bearing walls each time they signed a record-breaking contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2