The Murphy Brothers Update

Tom McKrackin

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

UCLA plays in front of less fans than many local high schools. 

Did I read less than 1,000 at a recent home game for the Bruins?  That scares me for NCAA football in general.  

I think most who no longer have anger for the Twins leaving pull for them to be successful.  I do.
I’m not sure NIL money would have kept them in Denton truth be told. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

16 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Do they net out penalties because if you look at the play by play for Bruins games, they still do the same they did here. Do several great things and then commit a costly boneheaded penalty.

For example, the following two happened a week or two ago and it encapsulates their time at North Texas.

• 3rd & 6 at COLO 44

(15:00 - 1st) MCCOWN, Owen sacked for a loss of 4 yards at the COL40, fumble on the sack (forced by MURPHY, Gabriel), recovered by UCL HAVILI-KAUFUSI, Sitiveni at the COL40, returned 0 yards to the COL40, End of Play. PENALTY UCL Offsides on MURPHY, Gabriel enforced 5 yards from the COL44 to the COL49 [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).

•  

• 3rd & 10 at COLO 25

(6:18 - 1st) MCCOWN, Owen pass up the middle incomplete intended for ARIAS, Daniel thrown to the COL37; QB hurried by MURPHY, Gabriel. PENALTY UCL Targeting on MURPHY, Gabriel enforced 15 yards from the COL25 to the COL40 and results in automatic 1ST DOWN [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

12 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Won’t matter. With their attitudes they won’t find li my term success. It’s the type of player you want in the moment for sure but their future isn’t going to be bright unless they make some serious changes to attitude and work ethic. Hopefully they do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, wardly said:

UCLA's 2021 average attendance was just a tad under 47,000.

Truth - and even in this strange year of crap scheduling for them they are at 31k average.

Pretty strange flex to bash their attendance when their average is higher than our all time high. 

• Upvote 5

I know we aren't in a place to brag about attendance, but the UCLA numbers are just ugly. 

Maybe the Rose Bowl is just too big for them to fill anymore? 

Impressed that the biggest game on this list was our win in El Paso. 

image.png.dc0473152f6c4210630921b91d6bc480.png

Edited by UNT_FH_FR_YR
We did not play South Alabama (D'oh!)

7 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Averaging over 41k for conference games is U-G-L-Y?  I dream to be that ugly one day. 

Filling 1/3 of your stadium for non-conference games is U-G-L-Y. I will not be dreaming of that at all.

41k is less than 1/2 of their stadium, I will not be dreaming of that either for our conference games. 

The point is they should not be playing in the Rose Bowl, which is something Troy Aikman has spoken about on numerous occasions. 

“This is an embarrassment but we couldn’t fill the Rose Bowl in 1988 when we were the #1 team in the country,” Aikman wrote.

“Anyone else at UCLA think it’s time for an on-campus 30,000 seat stadium? Of course, if we can’t play better than we did today, it would be half-empty too,” Aikman continued.

• Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, UNT_FH_FR_YR said:

I know we aren't in a place to brag about attendance, but the UCLA numbers are just ugly. 

Maybe the Rose Bowl is just too big for them to fill anymore? 

Impressed that the biggest game on this list was our win in El Paso. 

image.png.dc0473152f6c4210630921b91d6bc480.png

The Rose Bowl is 26 miles away , on a Friday night, you really have to want to go to a game to sit in traffic for almost 2 hours to go to a game. There's a complimentary shuttle for students, and even then it's hard to get kids to go. 

• Upvote 3

Right - but that venue is separate from their attendance. They can't build an on campus stadium, so they are stuck with the Rose Bowl. They have tried to get a vote to approve a stadium of their own, but it always fails because of NIMBY mentality.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Truth - and even in this strange year of crap scheduling for them they are at 31k average.

Pretty strange flex to bash their attendance when their average is higher than our all time high. 

Anyone in his right mind would expect UCLA to have better attendance than UNT.  It can be accurate to say that 31k would be great attendance at a C-USA school like UNT while it is pathetic for an historic PAC powerhouse like UCLA.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

There's some high profile pictures from the last few home games that don't show 3k fans much less 30k fans.  Those number are mega cooked if they're trying to say 31k is the 2022 average so far.

6 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

There's some high profile pictures from the last few home games that don't show 3k fans much less 30k fans.  Those number are mega cooked if they're trying to say 31k is the 2022 average so far.

Definitely -- much like the pictures floating around here of our last two games. 

Here's one I took at the start of the 3rd quarter with our ~19k(?).

image.jpeg

FAU may have more on their sideline that we have in those stands. 

But again, weird flex to say UCLA has less than our local highschool games or 41k for conference games is pathetic and those twins somehow made the wrong choice to play there (I think that is the implication?)

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Definitely -- much like the pictures floating around here of our last two games. 

Here's one I took at the start of the 3rd quarter with our ~19k(?).

image.jpeg

FAU may have more on their sideline that we have in those stands. 

But again, weird flex to say UCLA has less than our local highschool games or 41k for conference games is pathetic and those twins somehow made the wrong choice to play there (I think that is the implication?)

Nice try but no cigar.  That picture is misleading because that section is where the band sits and they were performing the halftime show at that time.  Not saying it was a great crowd but don’t use the picture when the band was not in the seats.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Anyone in his right mind would expect UCLA to have better attendance than UNT.  It can be accurate to say that 31k would be great attendance at a C-USA school like UNT while it is pathetic for an historic PAC powerhouse like UCLA.

I don't know if I would say powerhouse. Maybe in basketball, but for football I wouldn't use that as a description. We think that things at UNT are unique, but UCLA (and many others suffer from the same problem.) Student and fan apathy for sports has always been an issue, it's just a west coast thing. The LA sports culture is show up late and leave early to try and beat traffic. Students at UCLA are smart, they talk more about midterms, the crushing quarter system, and GPAs more than sports. You think it's hard for UNT to compete with all of the DFW attractions? LA has 2 NFL teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 MLB if you count the Angels, an actual  football powerhouse in USC, hockey, etc. Plus on a Friday night you can either spend an hour and a half getting to a game in Pasadena or you can go down to Santa Monica beach in 20 mins with your friends. 

How do I know? I live here. My wife graduated from UCLA, worked at UCLA, I've been to UCLA football and basketball games. In my decade plus of living here I've met 1 hardcore UCLA fan. 

• Upvote 3