Wish we had a coach like Gus

Just sitting here watching the SMUt UCF game and thinking to myself, what could we have accomplished the last 8 years with a good coach like him at the helm.  No Seth hasn’t been bad, but he hasn’t gotten us to where we deserve to be either.  Would love to see us get a big time coach finally.  We deserve it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Neither of those will ever get hired here...ever

Sad to say you are correct.  UNT is always looking to hire someone that is safe and won't ruffle any feathers it seems.  I think that's partly why they are hesitant to do anything with Seth.  Yes he's a mediocre coach but he doesn't get in much trouble with HR.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Sad to say you are correct.  UNT is always looking to hire someone that is safe and won't ruffle any feathers it seems.  I think that's partly why they are hesitant to do anything with Seth.  Yes he's a mediocre coach but he doesn't get in much trouble with HR.

You have to remember that UNT is a liberal campus. We aren't hiring anyone associated with rape...

• Confused 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't think being a liberal campus has anything to do with that.  It is a wise decision for any university that values winning and character.

I agree completely--but this isn't a conservative school that would let anyone think that women's rights wasn't being taking seriously, like they did at Baylor or at Liberty.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Talking about P5 rebounders, I thought people were pretty high on Justin Fuente? 

Huge difference between a guy who came up only through P5 channels with little-to-no G5 experience (A guy like Odom would fit that mold) VS a guy who showed success at the G5 level before moving up to P5 (Fuente fits this mold).
Fuente came up when TCU was still in the MWC, then took Memphis from 2-10 to 10-3 in 3 years.   And his overall record at VATech was 43-31, but that didn't meet the high standards that HOF'er Beamer set & maintained for them over decades.   
BTW, his replacement at VATech is not doing better.  VATech dropped their first game to ODU, and have lost their last 2 to juggernauts: WVA & UNC, by a combined score of 74-20.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I believe in forgiveness.

I also think one should be super cautious about people going into situations where they messed up again.

I wouldn't hire a forgiven pedophile to be youth minister nor a thief to run the cash register.

I'd not hire Briles to run a college football program nor would I hire Freeze to coach or administer a college program.

Gus? I'd take Gus back in Jonesboro in a heart-beat. Team kept getting closer and closer to perfection. He's a weird dude. He needs the right assistants around him to maintain team morale or you'll lose the team. Need someone on staff who can land the right QB or you have a mess.

Fuente if he wants to head coach again will do a good job in the right place

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Huge difference between a guy who came up only through P5 channels with little-to-no G5 experience (A guy like Odom would fit that mold) VS a guy who showed success at the G5 level before moving up to P5 (Fuente fits this mold).
Fuente came up when TCU was still in the MWC, then took Memphis from 2-10 to 10-3 in 3 years.   And his overall record at VATech was 43-31, but that didn't meet the high standards that HOF'er Beamer set & maintained for them over decades.   
BTW, his replacement at VATech is not doing better.  VATech dropped their first game to ODU, and have lost their last 2 to juggernauts: WVA & UNC, by a combined score of 74-20.

Thanks for the info and I agree. If he is even a possibility I hope he gets a strong look.