Watch Tennessee vs. LSU Saturday

BillySee58

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Watch Tennessee on offense (number 1 in the nation in yards and points) and see the similarities in what they run compared to us. The same staples of our offense are the staples of theirs. The wide wide receiver splits with receivers lined up almost out of bounds, the HB dives up the middle, the play action, the vertical receiver routes, etc.

I see Bloesch and the offense overall be criticized, particularly for the runs up the middle, usually without the context of the offense we are running (Veer and Shoot). Again, you’ll see the same with Tennessee. 

Side note: thought Bloesch called a great game Saturday mixing in some jet sweeps, wildcat, and zone-read with Stone Earle to give new wrinkles to our run game to combat stacked boxes. We are 23rd in yards/game this season and I think the job Bloesch has done is very underrated by our fan base.

I’ll put it on this weekend. Thanks!

I think the largest criticism is short yardage and goal line. I know that was mine prior to the FAU game. Love the Wildcat wrinkle.  Our offense is going to be a force in CUSA!  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Betweens the 30s on non-money downs our offense is pretty decent. When it counts, they are suspect. Fix short yardage. Fix RZ offense. Fix turnovers. Fix Goallline. Put a QB under center and run reggie bush. Motion jet/fly motion and run reggie bush from under center. If the D is showing pinch and shoot then next time put a QB under center and run jet motion and run a fly sweep. Then put a QB under center and run jet motion and run a pop pass to a TE on the seam after a half hearted jet PA. It's not difficult. It's year 7. Same offensive problems. 

48 minutes ago, Pellom said:

It’s essentially the old Art Briles offense, right?

Correct. Bloesch played O-Line for him at Houston + coached under Montgomery at Tulsa, and Tate Wallis coached under Briles at Baylor. Those are the two who spearheaded the implementation of this offense here in 2020 after we moved on from Bodie Reeder. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Betweens the 30s on non-money downs our offense is pretty decent. When it counts, they are suspect. Fix short yardage. Fix RZ offense. Fix turnovers. Fix Goallline. Put a QB under center and run reggie bush. Motion jet/fly motion and run reggie bush from under center. If the D is showing pinch and shoot then next time put a QB under center and run jet motion and run a fly sweep. Then put a QB under center and run jet motion and run a pop pass to a TE on the seam after a half hearted jet PA. It's not difficult. It's year 7. Same offensive problems. 

Saw this on Twitter. I don’t know much about the X’s and O’s, but I thought this was good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Correct. Bloesch played O-Line for him at Houston + coached under Montgomery at Tulsa, and Tate Wallis coached under Briles at Baylor. Those are the two who spearheaded the implementation of this offense here in 2020 after we moved on from Bodie Reeder. 

Yeah, and Heupel and Golesh picked it up from Jeff Lebby at UCF from his time at Baylor. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I know what we are trying to do, but there is a point where you have to determine if your offense can be run by these players against this defense at this point in time. It’s a balance. 

My criticism is that we either were not executing well enough (coaching/talent problem)* or not keeping the defense off balance (coaching/play calling). 

Vs FAU all the stuff they ran that was constraint stuff (sweeps, direct snaps, QB run) kept the defense off balance. The bulk of the offense was ran well also — the throws to Shorter were on time and on target, for example. 

* And when. We moved the ball well versus UNLV but lost three 4th and 1s. A+ grade for all aspects of the offense except short yardage, where they got F-  That brings the grade point average down a bit. 

re: Tennessee. Hendon Hooker is balling out and for Aune has been mediocre in crucial spots in comparison. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Yeah I know what we are trying to do, but there is a point where you have to determine if your offense can be run by these players against this defense at this point in time. It’s a balance. 

My criticism is that we either were not executing well enough (coaching/talent problem)* or not keeping the defense off balance (coaching/play calling). 

Vs FAU all the stuff they ran that was constraint stuff (sweeps, direct snaps, QB run) kept the defense off balance. The bulk of the offense was ran well also — the throws to Shorter were on time and on target, for example. 

* And when. We moved the ball well versus UNLV but lost three 4th and 1s. A+ grade for all aspects of the offense except short yardage, where they got F-  That brings the grade point average down a bit. 

re: Tennessee. Hendon Hooker is balling out and for Aune has been mediocre in crucial spots in comparison. 

You make some valid points. There were lost opportunities against SMU as well.

20 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

My post is more for the “geez, does our offense know run plays other than running to the A gap?” folks that I see in the game threads most Saturdays. And obviously any offense will still come down to execution and talent, but just from a scheme standpoint I feel like there is a disconnect between our fan base and our offensive scheme. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

It really is about the QB. That same Tennessee offense looked awful with Joe Milton at QB last year. 

• Upvote 1