A facility improvement I suggest

A facility I would like...

Outside of obviously baseball...An intimate 5500 seat basketball fieldhouse over in the athletic village with a ridiculous amount of lighting, natural and others. Then funnel as much money as possible into recruiting basketball players and coaches and if football keeps floundering, as much money as possible is all the money. Go be great, at something, I don't care what so as long as it's a major sport. 

A new weightroom and football lockerrom is definitely close to the top if maybe not at the top. But if expansion of the athletic center for this is mandatory then boosting up football seats on that endzone with a jumbo screen is a priority in that project, imo. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not to rehash this conversation that was had in another thread months ago but I don't get the appeal of having basketball played at the athletic village.

5,500 is too small in my opinion, I think 7,000 to 7,500 would be good. I also feel strongly that basketball needs to stay on campus. Just my opinion.

Especially since we had almost 9,000 in attendance at the Super Pit for the La Tech win last Winter. Among them was this Country Music Hall of Fame inductee & while on that theme—RIP Loretta Lynn. 61A9E03E-F3D7-47A6-B8E6-8D95D0EC0114.jpeg.f55afbe1d9252ea30e7f7a76c566f85f.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Especially since we had almost 9,000 in attendance at the Super Pit for the La Tech win last Winter. Among them was this Country Music Hall of Fame inductee & while on that theme—RIP Loretta Lynn. 61A9E03E-F3D7-47A6-B8E6-8D95D0EC0114.jpeg.f55afbe1d9252ea30e7f7a76c566f85f.jpeg

Yeah. While I understand the desire for a smaller arena because we rarely surpass 5,500 in attendance, I think attendance will continue to rise as we keep being successful. Plus with going to a new a conference and playing some bigger basketball names, I think we'll see attendance go up. If the next few years don't show increases in attendance, I'll probably change my mind but for now I think a new 5,500 arena is too small without knowing what the future holds.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yeah. While I understand the desire for a smaller arena because we rarely surpass 5,500 in attendance, I think attendance will continue to rise as we keep being successful. Plus with going to a new a conference and playing some bigger basketball names, I think we'll see attendance go up. If the next few years don't show increases in attendance, I'll probably change my mind but for now I think a new 5,500 arena is too small without knowing what the future holds.

Next season with AAC teams visiting the Super PIt, I think 5500 might be possible. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No doubt.
Can you imagine when NT excels in non-conference next season, starts well in conference, then Memphis comes to Denton with division championship implications on the line?

The pessimist in me says to pump the brakes on this but the optimist needs to find a chair to process this thought. WHEW!

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Like the helmet a lot but it looks like too tight a fit in the locker.  We need to build bigger lockers that offer more space and features like green fluorescent lights and whatnot.

image.png.4e345dde5dbff1c77201bb3602b25284.png

the facility improvement i would suggest is to make sure all of our current audio/video items work... including thing's like the referee's microphone... 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No doubt.
Can you imagine when NT excels in non-conference next season, starts well in conference, then Memphis comes to Denton with division championship implications on the line?

This is why when it comes to joining the AAC I am way more excited about basketball.  I just hope we can get a decent OOC home schedule next year.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not to rehash this conversation that was had in another thread months ago but I don't get the appeal of having basketball played at the athletic village. When I was a student, I loved it on campus especially with it being a winter sport. Even with all the bad weather, it wasn't a big deal for me to walk over to catch a game. Can't say I'd have gone to as many games in 30 degree weather late in the evening if I had to walk across the highway on the bridge especially with all the rain and ice we've been getting during the winter and early spring. Football being across the highway is fine since it's mostly played in warmer weather during the daytime so that walk is fine.

5,500 is too small in my opinion, I think 7,000 to 7,500 would be good. I also feel strongly that basketball needs to stay on campus. Just my opinion.

The athletic village is campus. But if you mean on the academic side of 35, I'm not sure where it would go outside of simply replacing The Pit. And to my knowledge, The Pit is owned by the university. So the athletic department has its hands tied for space on that side of 35 unless the university would be willing to demo the old arena. 

42 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The athletic village is campus. But if you mean on the academic side of 35, I'm not sure where it would go outside of simply replacing The Pit. And to my knowledge, The Pit is owned by the university. So the athletic department has its hands tied for space on that side of 35 unless the university would be willing to demo the old arena. 

I think they would be fought hard by a lot of people if they tried to touch the Snake Pit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NTSU52 said:

I think they would be fought hard by a lot of people if they tried to touch the Snake Pit.

The Pit to our basketball program is Rices football stadium to their football team. It's not practical and it's dated. 

But, yes, due to the athletic department not owning those rights they would probably be hard fought on demoing. I personally would love to see it fall and a state of the art intimate basketball facility being built in its spot. 

The biggest facility upgrade I want to see is an expansion of Airport Rd/Bonnie Brae to four lanes by Apogee.

A new basketball arena can wait. Especially if it seats less than 10,000 and is on the other side of campus.

I've lost interest in baseball over the years, but again I'd like to see the first D-I men's and women's lacrosse programs in Texas be started at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

what makes the Super Pit outdated?  I have always like the design, its simple, easy to get in and out of, and not a bad seat in the arena.  Its also steps away from many of the dorms. 

The tethered walls, dungeon feel, hunter green seats, though updTed still poor lighting, 2x too big, 0 natural lighting, 70s wall scoreboards, horrible ground level under seat terrace for players and the players have to practice in an AC storage shed across 35 instead of their own rims. There are few things to like about The Pit, but its got to go. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah that's what I meant. The other side of 35 simply isn't used by most of the students living on campus. Frankly, other than football games I seldom went over there. Most of your student living apartments and houses are also on the academic side of campus. I'm not sure where they'd put it either other than like you said, replacing the Pit if they could get that done with the university. Otherwise the other option is to renovate The Pit but I'm not sure how viable that is. I'm just saying the location really is prime if you want students to be involved and moving it to the athletic village takes that away. It just becomes part of the "athletics" side of 35. At least that's how I viewed that side of campus. It felt disconnected, almost like it wasn't even a part of UNT. Just a place you go to watch some football games 6 times in the fall and don't go back until the next fall. Keeping basketball on the main side of campus should be a priority in my opinion.

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The Pit to our basketball program is Rices football stadium to their football team. It's not practical and it's dated. 

That's a stretch. 

The Super Pit is older and slightly oversized. But Rice's football stadium is so old and poorly maintained that they'll be most likely soon be faced with structural issues with the upper deck similar to UAB's old Legion Field.

UNT has done a decent job keeping the Pit up to date over the years. If UNT could figure out how to update the seating, which would probably lower the seat count due to widening the seats to 2022+ body standards, it would be a great on campus arena.

35 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

That's a stretch. 

The Super Pit is older and slightly oversized. But Rice's football stadium is so old and poorly maintained that they'll be most likely soon be faced with structural issues with the upper deck similar to UAB's old Legion Field.

UNT has done a decent job keeping the Pit up to date over the years. If UNT could figure out how to update the seating, which would probably lower the seat count due to widening the seats to 2022+ body standards, it would be a great on campus arena.

fatty GIF

• Puking Eagle 1